Hi q nearly killed me

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Jambo87, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Morning gents. Right time for a good old rant. So then, my meg needed new inner rods and track rod ends then obviously tracking. So got parts fitted no problems, called into hi q to get tracking done, Job done in 5 mins. Driving to footballwith my son ib car and steering felt real weird. So any way went to sons football then driving home traction kept kicking in, went to turn at a roundabout then nothing oh shit springs to mind. So limped it to mates who jacked car up and they had left both nuts on track rod ends loose with severe play on both wheels. By this time they had shut. What i want to know from you guys can i take this further as potentially this could have risked our lives.

Cheers jambo

2. Definitely, depends if you have evidence though I guess?

Not sure why you'd take it there anyway, same as any quickfit type place

Last resort kind of place imo

3. Would make my mind boggle why you would take your car to anywhere like that in the 1st place, no one to blame but yourself really :tongueout:

4. Took it there as they do our work fleet. They only had to do the tracking not fit the parts. With regards to evidence ive took videos of both wheels

5. Get it on Twitter @HiQ_fastfit and ask for their response. They're sure to react

6. Correct me if i`m wrong, the nuts were loose on the track rod ends? You just had fitted tie rods & track rod ends? You sure whoever fitted them didn`t forget to do them up?

7. I presume he means the lock nuts.

Before the lock nuts are tight there’s play in the thread between the tie rod and end. This is probably why there was play/wobble in the steering/wheels.

These need locking up each time you make an adjustment.

If this is the case, I wouldn’t deem it as instantly dangerous but obviously still very concerning! (There would be terrible symptoms before the tie rod wound all the way out)

If it’s the track rod end ball joint nut then I’d say that would be more dangerous!

I personally wouldn’t use a place like hi q to do anything other than tyres on my cars! but you can’t really fault people for doing so.

It’s certainly not the op’s fault but will probably be a lesson learned.

If I were you, I’d go and get my money back and go to somewhere more reputable.

8. Seen this on FB. Both track rod-end ball joint bolts lose.

Why would hi-q loosen the track rod end ball joint to do the tracking?

Who fitted the new track rod ends?

9. Hi-q are actually one of only a few mainstream places that can track the megane rs correctly.
    Always do mine and never had a problem.

10. That’s scary.

Yeah, definitely no need to loosen track rod end ball joints to do the tracking.

11. This surprises me.

But, to be fair, I don’t trust anyone with my car so I automatically assume the worst when it comes to garages.

T&biskits likes this.
  12. Got sorted. 2 nuts had come loose on either side. Spoke to hi q and to be fair they've told me 2 bring car back down and they will do a full check. Not sure which nuts came loose but im guessing it was unrelated to hi q. Just it drove fine before i got there then as other post says it went horribly wrong lol. Just glad nothing serious happened as i had my 2 kids in car