Hi! 2015 Cup S

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Bigjet, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Hi all

Just bought a 2015 Megane Cup S, with Ohlins, Akrapovic, Recaro / Alcantara pack, and VMonitor 2. Not had a chance to really drive it hard yet but already it has a nice feel to it and great to heel and toe.

Other weapon in the garage is a 640hp Litchfield Nissan GTR, which is fantastic but utterly unusable 95% of the time and as a result not very involving at sane speeds. And also too loud for the track! So I hope to get the Megane on track soon!

Cheers 20170828_182536.jpg 20170828_193536.jpg

Semtax likes this.
  2. Very nice car! Which tracks are you planning on doing?

Bigjet likes this.
  3. Not sure yet, Brands and Goodwood are local to me, Silverstone has loads of run off but is half the track it used to be in my opinion. What's Bedford like? I would love a trip to Nordschleife too one day...

4. Bedford is great, Abingdon is also good well worth a go

Bigjet likes this.
  5. cgrautomotive

cgrautomotive RSM Trader

Hi there,

If you're looking for a track-friendly exhaust for your GTR get in touch. We've managed to get LMP3 cars 7-8db below the drive by limits on quiet test days at most uk circuits, and they've got very loud 5litre naturally aspirated V8s in them! We also have a reputation for building the best exhausts available, including our off the shelf Megane system, as many people on the forum would vouch for.

Take a look at our website for more info https://www.cgrautomotive.co.uk/

6. I have a Cup S and got to drive a colleagues 620bhp GTR a few weeks back. I can see what you mean as it's too fast to be full throttle for anything more than a second or two.

Absolutely awesome thing though :wink:

7. Thanks, yes I have a friend who runs an LMP3 car. To be honest I probably won't be taking the GTR on track because the cost of consumables like brake pads, discs etc. It's around 117db at present on wide open throttle. I may at some point look at swapping the system - it's quite rare and sought after, as only 10 were made, and I could probably swap it for a quieter system. But it's very loud and has a tendency to scare other cars off the road when overtaking them! The Megane came with the Akrapovic system, which for me is nice as I can start it before sunrise without getting a court summons! :tearsofjoy: I notice it doesn't pop and burble on the overrun as much as I thought it would. Is this a function of heat from the turbo (i.e. happens more as the system gets hotter after driving it hard for a few miles) or is it an artificial pop and bang as a function of the engine map when the RS button is pushed?

I see there are regular EVO track days at Bedford. What are they like? I don't know the track at all, but it's not too expensive. Only issue is, in terms of helmets, do you need a full FIA race spec helmet, i.e. with fire proof lining, or will a full face kart helmet suffice? I have an Arai SK6, same as the GP6 but with a normal lining...

RobbieR likes this.
  8. Bedford won't give a monkeys about your helmet.

Bigjet likes this.
  9. The Akra gets louder with heat, but it is also artificial as you'll note the tachometer needle move a little at lift off to dump fuel, but the hotter you get it the better the ignition.

Mine is cracking non stop during a track day, and now it's had a fair amount of heat cycles it seems to get louder and louder cracks at lower speeds on road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

That isn't the revs rising, it's just the needle moving I noticed my 250 doing that when I first got it and 100% it's just "cheap" guages as I've logged to see if it was the revs increasing or not

RobbieR likes this.
  11. I have never had anyone at Bedford inspect my helmet!