Headlight bulbs ?

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Chris bowen, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Anyone know what bulb type is up the front on a 275 trophy ? I suspect h7s but can't be arsed to take them out and look so thought I'd ask

2. Yes it is - and I assume you need x4 (hi beam / low beam) but not sure ?

3. Presuming they're the same as my non-xenon 250 then yes - 2 x H7 each side.

4. Yes correct. Changed mine as soon as I had the car as the standard ones aren't great.

5. what are the best ones to go for? my 275 nav is awful on normal beam, main beam is pretty good but dipped is pathetic. 4 days of ownership and need to upgrade them desperately lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6. Likewise, it was the first thing I did, they were shocking.

I've always used PIAA Extreme White bulbs on my non-xenon cars, yes they're pricey but you get what you pay for and they effectively produce 110W but only draw 55W (or whatever the numbers are) through the loom so it doesn’t burn anything out. They're as close to xenons as possible on a normal bulb.

7. You're not kidding ! £240 for 4. They'd better be good ;-)

8. holy shiiiiiiiit

9. Sorry £120 for 4. Suddenly a lot more palatable!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  10. oh not so bad then lol

11. what are the exact bulbs you use from piaa?

12. Extreme White Plus H7. They are around £60 a pair so £120 for all 4 needed. I bought mine from Demon Tweeks.

13. all four? haven't had a look at what's in the lamp for the mk3 2016 didn't realise they were all h7s

14. Main and dipped are both H7's. The sidelights are W5W and the indicators are PY21W or also known as 581.

Thinbot likes this.
  15. Was looking at osram nightbreaker laser h7s

Not spending 120 on 4 bulbs that's just silly money

16. had osrams.... not all they were cracked up to be to be honest. and didn't last long. had them for three years 35k and both blew

17. Just ordered some Phillips +130 at £32 for 4 on ECP with a 33% off code. Free same day delivery too : took 2 hours. How the F do they do that?

18. How long do you expect bulbs to last ??

19. Had Philips bulbs from ecp they were ok but only lasted a year but headlights didn't have the best of covers on the back of them (not my Megane)

20. You pay for what you get and if you want the best in anything you unfortunately have to pay for the privilege.

£30 for a bulb that does such an important job doesn’t sound too much to me, obviously I wouldn’t pay this for an indicator bulb or stop-light etc. where the amount of light produced isn’t as important, but to light up the road ahead when driving in the dark I’d say it’s worth it.

Jon Birkett and Thinbot like this.
  21. Well I might go for for Philips racing vision bulbs in h7s can get 4 for £50 and have good reviews - and I still think £30 per bulb is over the top but each to their own

22. well more than a couple of years when night driving consisted of as late as maybe 8pm occasionally with kids clubs etc. it is drove all night for the 30k then fair enough lol

23. not looked at the Phillips but think I may still go piaa. stock bulbs are Sooooo bad had the car less than a week and just can't stand driving home at 5pm with these lights as they are.

24. Such a shame Renault ditched xenons, was a must when I specced my 265, directional too they are fantastic.

25. I had the same problem with mine.

I went to Halfords and bought 4 of the best bulbs they do, wow what a difference and they fitted them too.

At the time it was buy get one free bargain.

Thinbot likes this.
  26. Put the Phillips +130% in today plus adjusted the height to as high as I dared without seemingly being a nuisance to other motorists. Significant difference. £32 all in for 4 bulbs is good vfm providing they last but even if I have to change them once a year that's still a good upgrade.

27. good point about the value v changing yearly etc. how much further can you see clearly with them would you say beyond the crappy stock ones?

28. About 5 inches more, which doubles the distance ;-)
    I don't really know, probably 30% further but a much brighter light and far better on the sides. The light is now well defined and consistent (and white) throughout the illuminated field of vision whereas the OE bulb was just about ok in the middle and tailed off quickly off centre.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Thinbot likes this.
  29. thanks foggy:smile: good feedback and lots of information in real world terms cheers buddy

just found some piaa extreme white plus h7s for £49 per pair on eBay so taking a punt.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  30. I bought osram night breakers from ecp didn't notice much difference to be honest

31. I fitted some led bulbs to my trophy and they are brilliant

32. I had them on a nismo juke before my new rs meg. they made a difference but no where near what I was expecting from the claims they made.

33. Thanks for the tip Space Cadet, bought some for my 275 and they are much brighter and whiter than the Phillips and osram nightbreakers which I have previously used.

34. No problem mate, I can't rate them more highly, as far as I know they are the best halogen bulbs you can buy. Retrofitting xenons to units not designed for them doesn't automatically make them better than halogen, so the PIAA bulbs are as good as its going to get without changing the whole unit to xenons.

I dont think the standard units are the best in the first place though.....

Thinbot likes this.
  35. Worth it if they give you a little extra time to react ordering mine tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36. went for the piaa. and gotta say. they are noticeably better than the full single candle of the stock bulbs. really clear. definitely worth the money.

37. So i went with Philips extreme 130%. Great improvement over the stock bulbs. But to be honest, they were candles in jam jars so anything was an improvement.

People spoke about adjusting the height of these? How is that done?