H&R springs + 20mm Spacers

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Bowen, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Hello.

Who here has there Megane on H&R Springs with 20mm spacers?

I seem to have scrubbing on the rear, of the outside of the tyre?

Think my rear shocks could be on the way out....?

Cheers

2. Hey man, I'm running those specs. I did notice some rubbing once, but that was when I had 125kg of stones in the boot.

tof73 likes this.
  3. Cheers for he reply. Think my shocks must be on their way out because over bumps in the road it scrubs the rear tyres. Urghhhh.

4. I'll do a bit of testing when I'm out in the car later, I'm not always the gentlest over speed bumps but i think all ive ever heard is a bit of suspension clunkiness and boot clutter rattling around.

5. I thought even 25mm should fit in the back?

6. Mine rubbed like bastard with h&rs and 20mm spacers, either put some camber shims in and or cut the arch to shit like I did, its only plastic, cut away

Nigelo and Bowen like this.
  7. I have, 20mm spacers on the back, h&r's and zero rubbing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mclynes and Danith like this.
  8. Hi Bowen, I've got the same H&R lowering springs with H&R 20mm spacers on the rear. The left tire scrubs the wheel arches a lot. I've just ordered 16mm spacers to solve the problem.

I thought bumpstops could also fix this issue ... But 16mm spacers sound safer to me.
    By the way it's only the left side where I got this issue though.

Your car is probably 100% align at both sides. My left rear wheel is out 2-3mm more than the right wheel.

UPDATE:
    Anyone who's got the 20mm (H&R) spacers on the front? Would that fit? Plus would it kill the handling in any form?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Bowen likes this.
  9. It does seem to be the left which is much worse than the right. Even if I am the only person in the car, the left (RHD) scrubs?

How much did you cut Tom?

10. Bumping this, as I just changed from continental cs6 to ad08r and now I'm getting rubbage over speed bumps at the rear driver side. The tyres must be closer to 240/35/19 than 235/35/19s.

Anyone got a decent way of sorting it? - I've come across every suggestion on the web - dremels to cut, aircraft snips, belt sanders, wood hand plane etc etc

11. Most "track" orientated tyres have a lot more of a square shoulder profile, compared with a generic road tyre. Just that few mm is enough to catch the arch in your case.
    A little camber would probably remedy this,but thats not particularly simple on Meganes :smirk::laughing:

12. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Remove spacers?

I ran 245 wide AD08s when I had the 19s on mine and had no scrubbage at all

13. Was that a 245 on a standard rim Jamie?

14. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yup

15. What was it like with the wider tyre mate?

16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I hadn't owned it for that long, a month or two but done a couple TDs on them.

Probably wouldn't do it now though, they are a wee bit too wide for stock rims. 235s are perfect.

jack250 likes this.
  17. For what it's worth my issue was the rear shocks had given up, thus letting the car drop low meaning tyre meeting wheel arch liner.

18. Sorry to dig up old thread peeps, but did fitting new shocks solve the issue as I'm running the H&R springs with 18x9 and 255 tyres and it's catching over bumps :worried:

19. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

On the rear? I'd drop your tyre down to a 235, no need for such a wide tyre on the back

20. I have thourght of that as an option Jamie but I have already got the tyres and don't really want to buy two more also I really really really detest a stretched tyre look :worried: I have also looked at trying to find a stiffer spring for the rear but as you know this will make it a bit more rear end happy so will have to wiegh up options!! Last resort chop some plastic out as it is really just the edge of the plastic trim catching the very edge of the tyre :/

21. ive got 47et 18s. Had small rub on the rear. took the screw out and filed the tab away.
    later that weeek went to spa with 4 wheels and luggage in the boot and no rubs. Then did spa with it empty and no rubs..

22. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

A narrower rear tyre is the best option lol.

A 235 still sits fine on the tyre as the profile is different so they actually look very simialr when mounted

23. I did see the little screw and wondered if that was the only thing that is rubbing, did you have any issues with the inner arch after removing said screw.

24. no issues at all. car has done a 1000 miles since and track day.

265CupAsh likes this.
  25. How wide is your wheel James? i'm guessing 9J?

26. no theyre actually only 8j. Evo corse. 235 semis on.

27. ahhh, and what tyre specs are you running? I'm going to fit 18 et40 wheels 8J on 235/40 (not semi) so trying to figure out if I would need camber plates and shims immediatly or not.

28. running ad08r 235 40. quite fat but im happy with them.
    41237551472_a41ad128e6_h.jpg IMG-20180402-WA0023 by james simpson, on Flickr

29. looks very good, what shocks/springs are you running? (and camber?)

30. all stock bud. only h&R springs. coilovers soon.