R26 Front wishbone - slots not holes??

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by adbett, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Clunking was coming from front passenger suspension, after a lot of head scratching and checking we figured out it was a slightly loose mounting bolt that was causing the issue - it was still 'tight' but not tight enough

Investigated a bit further and it looks like the rear bush on the lower wishbone bolts in to a slot, not a hole, in the subframe???? Is this correct, it's held in place by friction?? Both sides of the car are the same so i'm hoping this is correct....

bush.jpg

2. Yes, they are slightly elongated.

3. Thanks for confirming, at least everything is correct on the car!

Do you know why they are elongated? I can't think of a single benefit at the moment

4. Hmmmmm you’ve got me wondering now!

When I first drive mine in a morning, the first right hander at the top of my street causes a slight click/clunk that’s felt through the steering.
    Maybe this is the culprit!

I had a similar issue on my R53 mini, a bolt that wasn’t quite tight was causing wandering during acceleration & braking. I changed all sorts of things until I found that!!

I’ll have to investigate this weekend.
    I did read that the rack bolts can cause a similar issue too.

5. Could be the issue, mine was felt as a slight click...then a slight clunk...then detectable movement when investigating and pulling hard on the wheel.

I know it was torqued up to the correct Nm although I could only access the bolt head rather than the nut to torque it...that would make a bit of a difference but I don't think that much

Tightened the bolt a little higher now ;-)

Leigh likes this.
  6. elongated hole is there to take up the manufacturing tolerances on each parts, main datum will be the front bush on that wishbone, then the rear only need to be located on the side due to the rotation around the front bush. hope this make sense.