1. So I've got a 250 cup that the drls are In the headlights. In the blade I have the drl light units, are these simply blank, not connected? I thought if you didn't have drls they were capped off, but mine has the clusters?

Bit of a noob question!

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

All the MK3s have the DRL bulb in the headlight. If you have the actual DRLs though they won't work.

3. may be disabled from the dash settings, auto-dimming or something does it.

4. In my 265 when I turn on just the sidelights the small 501 bulbs in the headlight unit don't illuminate. The drls just go slightly dimmer. is this normal?

5. Yes that's the way it's meant to be mine do the same.

6. are your drl's in the headlights ever on?

7. are the ones in blade black or can you actually see the leds?

8. Hold on am I missing something? Drl in the headlights? Mine are on the blades on the bumper and when I turn side lights on they turn off then the 501 come on

9. I'll grab a pic tomorrow

They are visible in the blade

I've messed about with the onboard settings but it' just a turns off the headlight drls

10. there are sockets in the headlights for a 21W DRL bulb - they are used on cars that don't have the LED DRL's in the blade..

11. hmm... something fishy is going on.. verify that there is an adapter loom connected to each headlamp (between the headlamp and the original headlamp plug) which goes to the bumper.. if not, it's possible that somebody fitted the led's, but not the power supplies (which should be mounted on the inside of the bumper next to each led drl).

12. [​IMG]

So that's what I have

I've had the headlights out bulb changing today and there is a loom connected to the passenger side but thats all I know for now

Might be a bumper off job at some point

13. So had the bumper off today

Looms plugged in on N/S, both DRL's are plugged in to ballast packs above them...?

Does the car need to be told (via CLiP) that is has them in the bumper?

It dosesnt look like someone has retro fitted them as they the loom is all clipped in o.e spec etc, bit strange really

14. Loom might of been there so it could still be that someones fitted them. Probably needs clip to swap it

15. As far as I've understood it, the little adapter looms for the leds actually just steals the power from the drl in the headlight (which is why it is connected in between), so if your headlight drls work without the adapter loom, then your leds should work with the adapter loom plugged in.. but something sounds wrong since you say that you only have the adapter loom on the passenger side.. try feeding 12V in through the looms to check if the leds light up..

16. Wouldnt of thought so has when led drl are fitted the drl in the headlight doesnt work, so would say the ecu needs configuring

17. there is no separate wire for led drl in the headlamp plug, and since the power is taken from there, it can only use the same wire as the one for the headlamp drl..

It is true that setup through clip is sometimes required, but only in cases where the car is delivered set up to use the main beam as drl when leds are not spec'ed (which is the case in Denmark, for instance).

18. It will be a seperate feed from the body ecu which will need configuring, mine has the led drl amd the one in the headlight doesnt work and isnt suppose to work.

19. I bet if you take a closer look, you will notice that it's because the drl wire to the headlamp plug now goes to the led through the adapter loom (i.e. it's not fed through to the headlamp when the led adapter is in place).

20. DRL ballasts are wired off each other, that is then plugged in passenger side to the main loom by the looks of things,so not fed separately off each side

Think it might be worth having a dig about in CLip i think

21. could be but very doubt it, because then renault would have to make two looms for the production proccess which will cost more money, manufacturers normally make general loom, leave it unplugged and have it activated via the ecu software. and it looks like its wired like fog lights on older models, fed via the passenger side behind the bumper.

22. It sounds daft but have you 100% checked auto dip beam is selected in the dash computer. This turns the drl's on / off

23. yeah just turns them off/on in the headlights

I'm having a card coded this weekend, so ill get them to have a look whilst its on clip if they get time.

24. Spot on

So update to this.
    Had the bumper off yesterday to see what was going on. All plugs seemed plugged in together, nothing "obvious". Cracking out the multi meter..... on the bumper drl plug there was no power/Earth on any pins..... Hmmm. Further investigation found the actual drl adaptor loom on the car was just plugged into each other, so in effect had no supply from the car....

So plugging the loom through turned off the drl in the headlights, but I had an issue with the passenger headlight side light/ indicator / and blade drl not functioning. Bit of fault finding found the drl adaptor loom plug at fault. Sorted that and now all sorted

So my car either had a fault (with the plug) and someone just simply by passed it all, or someone tried to retro fit it all and got lost. I'm going to get a full spec list of the car from Renault to see.

So to summarise, the blade DRLs (on 250 at least) are simply plug and play, just need the following

Drl adapter harness (not sure if this is fitted to the standard car)
    Drl LEDs
    Driver packs
    Drl bumper loom

Cheers

25. Could you piggyback a loom to run the headlight and bumper DRLs?

26. Can't see why not

Obviously you'd need to account for the extra load but all you need is the white switch wire reconnecting to each light cluster.

With the bumper DRLs they are simply blanked off