250 Discs

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by glenn, Apr 2, 2014.

1. 20k and new discs all round.. would these have been the originals coming off as I've only had the car just over a year(not track used)

2. My 250 is on 27k now... 6 trackdays in that and still on the original discs. I'm on my third set of front pads, and 2nd set of rears.

I've been checking the brakes tonight and the fronts are definitely getting close to needing to be replaced. The outsides look ok, but there's quite a lip on the inside. I'm not doing huge mileage or trackdays anymore so they're not going to get much worse anytime soon. Will most likely get them replaced when the Service/MOT is due in September.

How much did you pay out of curiosity?

3. Mine just passed 36k. I bought it with 34k on a clock, and had already second set of discs fitted at 27k. It does depend how car is being used. If you drive like mad, the you may replace them quite often :wink:

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'm on my 2nd set of discs front and rear now, fronts were done at 26k and rears at 30k, also just fitted my 5th set of pads Front and rear

5. Anyone know the minimum thickness? Or do you just wait till the grooves disappear :tongueout:

6. You can see two markers on each side at the top of the disc. They indicate the minimum thickness, It's quite hard to tell if you're reached them if the rim is still there though.

7. I'm close to changing my discs too, they make a nasty Metallic noise when coming to a complete stop.

The pads have plenty of meat on them, but the inside of right disc is worn more than the left.
    Has anyone experienced this sort of noise?
    Also with new disc do you still get the whirring noise when braking because the discs aren't sided?

Does anyone know if the plain discs are the same diameter as as the grooved discs?

8. Are the discs on both the cup 250 & non cup 250 the same size?

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yes, Only difference are the grooves

10. Hmm I wonder, I like the look of the grooved discs but as they aren't handed and they are noisier I might fit them instead.

Anyone know any reason not to go this route?

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not reason at all really, I only stuck with Grooved discs to keep the pads clean between track days, Downside is pad wear is increased due to the grooves

12. I just need to decide what pads to order yellow stuff or RC5+.

Yellow stuff are £120 from lark speech and rc5+ are £128.40 from ktec. Can anyone beat either price?