250 Correct coolant temp

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Ben Jones, Mar 19, 2018.

1. I've seen a lot of talk about thermostats on the Megane FB pages which got me wondering if my thermostat needs replacing.

Its got no numbers so I've no idea what the notches actually mean? I've always assumed they sit in the middle on these style gauges but mines to the left.

Is there any secret menus you can view to see the readout in digital?

nq2sDXQ.jpg

2. I’d love to know about a secret menu built into the DIP somewhere. Even RS Monitor doesn’t tell you; it gives you oil temp though.

That is the correct temperature reading and I believe equates to 90 degrees. I’d be worried if it didn’t lol!

If you had proper diagnostics that would tell you.

3. Not sure about secret readout but that image shows typical thermostat failing to close correctly resulting in engine hesitating at high rpm

4. Mine sits in exactly the same position

5. Perfect time to change stat then

6. I thought the temp gauge sitting in that position was normal. Does yours sit bang on in the middle then?

7. Yep, when showing as in image above engine fires up and runs fine until start to press on then at around 5.5k and up engine would hesitant with gentle cut out. Changed stat, needle now pointing straight up, engine goes upto 6.5k smooth as with zero hesitation

8. Mines a bit to left, getting it done start of April

9. Mine sits at approx the same position (and always have), and according to OBD data, it starts rising at 50C and is at ~85C at the position in the photo. The needle doesn't move much (if at all) when temp changes some few degress, however.

10. Mine has sat like that for the last 6 years.

11. Would be interesting to change anyway just to see if needle moves, am noticing few these now with off set display. Problem is car runs mostly fine just that little hesitation when pressing on. Mine sat as in image above for around 5 weeks and kept telling myself it’s just the cold weathers but it wasn’t.

12. I changed my stat earlier this year when it was sitting just below the mark in the picture and wouldn't go above 80c and obviously limiter kicked in earlier.

I put a genuine renault stat in and my gauge sits bang on that line in the picture and reads the correct temperatures (read live via obd) and pulls all the way to the limit.

my understanding is this is exactly where the needle should sit unless you have the 265 with different clocks in which case it should be bang in the middle.

13. Interesting, this seems to have caused some disagreements. What’s the best way of getting a definitive answer, im reluctant to ask a stealer.

Looking at the price of them it seems a genuine one can be had for under £30 so I’m half thinking just change it anyway, despite having no driving issues at all. Just remember when I used to have a TT the thermostat was common to stick and cause them to run lean. Changing that involved about 3 socket wobbly extension bars to try and get to the nuts, horrible job but from what I’ve seen it’s a bit easier to get to on the Meganse apart from the battery tray I believe

14. Mines bang on the middle, i had mine done two years ago. Mine totally went thou, where the neddle would move up n down depending whether i was still or moving.

15. As far can tell the clocks are identical meaning they look identical, would be good to have confirmation, not sure why Reno would fit different gauges on mk lll range

16. easiest easy to find out is plug in something like torque and read the live data.

i can confirm 100% my stat is working and reaching temp and it sits on that line and not in the middle between the 2 lines.

I have the yellow gauges, I believe the 265 came with a dark gauge where the temp needle sits bang in the middle.

17. renault-megane-rs-250-cup-2011-826_1.jpg RS_Megane_STU_019.jpg

Ben Jones likes this.
  18. the other option is wait until you believe your car is showing up to temp and try floor it til the limiter kicks in...if it comes in early then your stats gone.

but ideally I'd get a £5 Bluetooth obd dongle and torque app and read the live data.

19. Sounds good, just been on ebay, take it this is what you're referring to? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-V...058900?hash=item5900981f94:g:KAMAAOSwoVNZ8KbZ

20. yeah that's basically it dude.

there's a few to choose from and quality varies so some work and some don't.

I've got lucky first time and I've been using my adapter for years now.

21. Been looking at few and realised they are heavily android and windows biased. Guessing you don't own an iPhone or a Mac? My house is all Apple

22. ahh you would need a WiFi adapter then I think and then search the app store for a similar app to torque

23. superb, found one that works with iOS for a fiver as soon as I put ODB wifi instead of ODB bluetooth. Thanks for your help

jamez87 likes this.
  24. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Noticed my 250 has recently dropped under that middle line and saw it moving slightly up and down the other day. I've booked in for a service with Mark Black and asked him to change it while I'm there.

25. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Had it changed, you can see that the problem was, it’s been catching on it’s metal frame

2987b4fb5283fc8bdf2809e91c76ddc2.jpg

26. I've changed mine recently, sat slightly to the left like the first picture had no issues high up the rev range.

The new thermostat sits exactly where it was before. I didn't use a genuine Renault part, was a gates thermostat but that shouldn't matter.

Ben Jones likes this.
  27. Ok so I've finally got round to using ODB fusion app on my iPhone with a wifi ODB dongle. The coolant temp sits at 80 degrees and rises up only on acceleration and drops quickly back to 80degrees.

Should it be reading 90 degrees?

28. Hi off topic but can i ask where you got the obd wifi dongle that works and a link if ebay?Also the fusion app is it the one for £9.99 on app store
    cheers in advance

29. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-O...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    Yup thats the fusion app for £9.99 don't usually buy apps as theres generally a decent free one but I tried one of the free ones and it was awful and fusion seems pretty good

1971designer likes this.
  30. Changed mine a year or so ago,as temp needle was to left like above image plus used to move around a little random!
    Once changed bang in the middle at normal running temp

31. Think I'll give it a go soon then. Despite people saying the needles in the normal place I don't think 80 degrees is normal, from what I've read it should 90?

32. agree, after thermo change ODB app (DashCommand) shows 85 when moving and 90 in slow traffic

33. Ken

Ken

Hi Guys,

I am a few months late to this thread, reading your comments I am pretty sure I have the same problem but a lot worse and now I am panicking. My coolant temperature stays at the first bar most of the time, occasionally goes up by a bit but never to the second bar if I am driving the car. I have a RS monitor and oil temp is either below 70 or if I am doing 80 on the motorway low 70's for the oil temp.

The wired thing is that when the car is stationary both the coolant and oil temp rise quickly, coolant on the second bar, oil temp about 92 degrees. I can then drive off normally within 5 mins it goes back to what's mentioned above.

I thought the limiter is directly affected by the oil temp so I deliberately sit there till it gets to 90 degrees then go and put my foot down but it still cuts in early. Think my situation is kinda bad.
    Let me know what you guys think
    Thanks

34. Not sure what you having a panic attack for, replace the sensor.....

35. Your stats knackard, when driving your radiators keeping the temp down due to probably a hole in the rubber seal of the stat or slow opening stat, when stationary, especially in traffic the radiator isnt as efficient so the temperature will go up but never to full. My stat went exactly the sam and there was a small bit of rubber missing out off the seal (2-3mm)

timbo likes this.
  36. So I've found this thread searching for temp gauge info....

Here's my gauge. The fan does kick in and I've sat idling for 20minutes after a half hour drive and needle hasn't moved passed here.

[​IMG] http://imgur.com/a/ZhY2692

37. If you've got original factory stat then change it anyway, buy reputable aftermarket item but not from reno

Mr Spoon likes this.
  38. Mines the same never heard my fans come on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk