265 Coolant

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by James265trophy, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Had my thermostat done the other day and noticed the coolant level was just above the min when hot, is the ok or would it be better topped up to max when hot? 20190106_135501.jpg

2. You know things expand when they got hot? adding more when its hot would not be the right way around, where does it sit when cold? Did you do the thermostat? or get it done at a garage? if you got it done at a garage, then i am confused why you would not take it back and get them to look at it ?

3. It’s about half way between the lines now it’s cooled down

4. You've still got air in the system. You loose a bit of coolant when taking the thermostat out. Top it up when it's cold.

5. Cheers, there’s was some coolant on the invoice but it obviously hasn’t been done properly

6. DC55A763-B5C5-43EE-8A08-0A00E36C053E.jpeg Must be a lot of air in the system haha

7. Take the cap off, turn the car on and set the heating on full. It will burp the air back into the tank.

James265trophy likes this.
  8. Also i didn't realise that there is a vent on the top radiator on the drivers side, its a 1/4 twist thing, it maybe they hadn't bled it properly and it pushing the air out as you drive.

James265trophy likes this.
  9. Cheers for the replies, I’ll take it back tomorrow and hopefully they’ll do it properly

10. Turns out it’s leaking quite badly, it’s losing around a litre after a 20 mile drive