Brake Pads change DIY

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by sebinko, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Hi, after burning the stock pads during Renault Sport Track Days on Red Bull Ring last monday I have decided to try CL5+ (they were new pads with maybe 1000km - no track driving before).
    Is here somebody who has already done the Pads exchange on his own? What tools do I need? I checked youtube videos for brembo pads exchange on older impreza`s but was not able to find one on MRS.
    thx in advance

2. Just fronts? Two minutes max.

Knock the two brake pins out with a punch, retract pistons if required, replace with new pads.

3. that`s what I saw on the impreza replacement. currently I am about 300km from my car so was not able to check if it`s the same "technology" or not. I as well saw some kind of cliper between the two pins.

thanks for the answer

4. Yup just two pins to knock out, really easy

5. thx, will report on saturday how it went :-D

6. Keep your eye on the CL RC5+ pads mate

Notorious for falling to pieces , ie coming away from the backing plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

7. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Aren't the pins the bit that causes everyone problems?

8. Yup. Pain in the penis if they seize.

9. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Just a warning to the OP then :smile:

10. Daz

Daz

I now re-seat the pins every 6 months so they don't get stuck - only takes a few mins per side.

11. well, i have read something about it. but the time has come to replace the stock once. I baked in 2 months 2 sets of them :-/
    will check them regularly

12. if you actually have the pads now, keep an eye on them, they were fine on mine for a good while. If you haven't bought them yet, change to rc6, awesome pads.

13. I ordered them on monday from k-tec :-/ so probably on the way already

14. so today morning i found some time to exchange the pads. everything went fine till the point I took the first old pad out. I have several question.
    1. is this how they should look? to me they look a bit cooked
    2. i was able to get of the thin think on the old one with the arrow, but they don`t pass to the new CL5+. can I use it without it?
    3. after changing the pads and hitting the highway to bed the pads, i found out that the issue is in the rotors. as the whole car is shaking a bit and no improvement comparing to the old pads. surprise for me is that the steering wheel is not shaking, only the car under 50% breaking. this happen 1 month ago to me and they changed my pads and everything was fine till i hit the circuit.
    any ideas what to do? besides buying ne rotors?

DSC01241.jpg DSC01242.jpg

DSC01235.jpg

15. I can't get the bloody pins out! Recommendations?!

16. How are you trying to do it? With a proper punch?

try heating them up, if not they will need to be cut out

17. Yeh I'm using proper tools, might have to use a heat gun. So far it's just flattened the end of the pin!

Bloody Renaultsport!

18. Try and force a bit of copper grease in. Where the pins are?

Then just hit it properly :smile:

19. Nice marigolds :wink:

20. I'm scared of chipping the paint!!

21. Did you get the pins out in the end?

What pads did you go for?