Blown RS 250 Engine

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Marc Stevens, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Long time lurker, first time poster....

I'm sorry if this has been posted and answered elsewhere. I've searched and searched and cant find anything that covers my problem, and mechanically, I'm pretty rubbish...

Last week, my rs250 (2010) effectively "detonated" its engine (apparently the less technical term). It had 65000 on the clock. Long story short I think either a bad map / tune from the previous owner or a failed turbo caused it, its currently being diagnosed in the garage but in my technical description it basically blew a big hole in the bottom / side of the engine, lots of white smoke, metal, oil etc and now has almost no compression.

I'm working on the assumption I will need to replace the entire engine including turbo, maybe intercooler from what I know already. It already has a Pipercross FAI kit and forge blow off valve.

Question for you guys (obviously tell me to get stuffed if my question makes no sense or the info given by me isn't enough). I'm struggling to find reliable second hand engines so it may be a new one from Renault. Since I'm replacing the turbo I'm playing with the idea of upgrading to a hybrid turbo, and if its a new intercooler, upgrading that too alongside definitely putting a proper map / tune on it from a reputable company!

Firstly I don't want to blow up another engine so what do I need to be wary of in the upgrades and what are the obvious risks? Secondly, what else do I need to think about if I do these upgrades to protect the engine and transmission? Or should I just go standard and be happy with it since I don't want another blown engine?

Also, lastly, if you think I'm being stupid taking this approach to fixing my engine problem please openly tell me, like I said I'm not great mechanically!

2. Omg sorry to hear your news. How much are Renault asking for a new engine? You are probably going through car owners worst nightmare

3. Thanks Cazper. They quoted me £3300 directly, but the garage where the car is currently are just waiting for a quote themselves on trade prices. Hoping it may bring it down by a few £100. Breaker engines are around £1500 - £1750 for the bare engine but obviously I have no guarantee on them and I've only found 2 in the UK so far!

Vernon likes this.
  4. All quite expensive. Personally I would go with a new engine but I suspect the final bill might be quite high. Tough choice.

5. Sorry to hear of your problems Marc. I am running a second hand 250 engine, without any problems, and if you can find a good one, i would think, it would be around half the price of a new one.A turbo should be easier to source.As for tuning/mapping,RStuning Leeds is my go to, even when it means a 1100 mile round trip.Good luck with the hunt.

6. I also think it will get very expensive too Cazper, I just have to weigh up the options vs cost. I'm hoping by buying new and upgrading I might claw back some of the money in the value of the car but probably wishful thinking.

Thanks oldfella, my concern on the second hand engine is I might get a duff en and end up spending half the money twice if that makes sense.

7. Aparently new engines from Renault are hard to get hold of, someone on the OZ forums has been waiting 6 months+

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Just get a second hand engine, I paid 1500 last year for a full one with all ancillaries and turbo. Had ran stock power all its days then went straight to hybrid power and has ran fine. Went straight out to the Ring and done 25 laps and around 35k since then. Had the belts etc done while it was out for peace of mind but it seems solid.

9. Any suggestions on where to search for one Jamie? They're like hens teeth second hand!! I've tried all the breakers, general google searches, etc.

I don't fancy waiting 6 months like Mikeyjp says if Renault do go that direction!

10. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I got mine through one of the Facebook groups, eBay is worth an eye or stick a post up on the Facebook pages

11. Wow i had a good deal then, 32k, for £500 :sunglasses: needed a new sump and manifold

12. A very good dwal

13. Sorry to hear about your engine dude.awful and a huge inconvenience

14. Whichever way you go with engine wouldn't worry about it failing again, don't know what went on with last one but they're not know to detonate, but are know to tune nicely with aftermarket larger turbo and gives great results. Can highly recommend Engine Dynamics for anything engine upgrade and mapping.

Mikey4410 likes this.
  15. What map was on the car?

16. Thanks Bobsan and Mikey. I had some contact with Engine Dynamics about possibly reconditioning an engine if I get one second hand so that's good to know they are reputable.

Paulya610, I don't know in honesty. I have owned the car a few months and its whatever tune the previous owner put on it. I probably should have had it checked as I could tell it wasn't standard. All the things like too much power on sport mode, fuel consumption, etc should have really made me think about the tune but I haven't been doing many miles in the car so I didn't worry about it. I think the fuel mixture vs o2 was too rich but i'll find out soon as the garage have the engine apart I guess.

17. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd be very surprised if the map had anything to do with it, mine certainly didn't as did the others that I know of that have bent stuff. There's no consistency in power/torque levels to say otherwise, just the same issue as the Mk2, inconsistent rod manufacturing

18. So you advise the rods are upgraded on the 250 Jamie?

19. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Nope, I'm now running 50lbsft more than before. I would only be looking at upgrading internals if running over 400/400

20. Nutty has just posted he is breaking a 250.....that might be your engine matey

21. Thanks cazper, I've just Pm'd him. I'd seen that car for sale and assumed the engine was toast but fingers crossed!

22. Thought I'd give an update after my woes....

Finally got a replacement engine, 2013 with 32k miles. I've had it fully reconditioned plus ....

Performance Catcams
    Uprated Spring sets
    Solid lash caps
    Forged con rods with APR bolts
    Forged Pistons
    Forged valve set
    NGK Performance Iridium Spark Plugs
    New Clutch
    New SMF
    Engine Dynamics Stage 1 Turbo
    Wagner Competition Intercooler
    Obviously all belts, pumps, filters etc are new.

Also got...

Pipercross FAI going back on with a new cone
    Forge Motorsport DV
    H&R coils (already on)
    GT performance custom Exhaust (already on)

Once the new engine is and run in, its booked in with Engine Dynamics for a custom tune and 630cc injectors. They think it should be 320 - 350hp comfortably.

I've probably missed a couple of bits off as my garage has sourced a few of the parts.

Do you guys think I've missed anything glaring that will bite me in the ass?

Nigelo and Cazper like this.
  23. Wow sounds really good. I bet it is a hefty price tag for that lot. Going for a used engine given you had all those jobs in mind was probably a very good call. Sounds awesome

24. nice reliable performance, its never cheap, but at least you'll have peace of mind with it now, great spec by the way.

25. Renault wanted £6500 for a new bare engine with a 6 month waiting list while they manufactured it for me.....

26. Its more peace of mind for the person who buys it from me!! The car has left a bit of a sour taste, especially taking so long to find an engine so once its run in and I'm confident its bullet proof i'll be selling it! :-(

27. I wouldn't rush into selling it, get it run in, do the remap and then enjoy your investment and see how you get on....it might all change then and you will feel the worst is over and you enjoy the car.

28. I'll see how it goes, I'm just concerned that each time I put my foot down i'll be worried its going to blow up!! Might take a bit of the fun away.

I've never blown an engine up before so its new to me.

29. thats understandable, Ive never had a clutch go until I got a Renault. If the engine is built by a reputable garage you should be fine. But i know what you mean by being concerned

30. Not many of these engines let go mate. The ones that do go bang seem to have done so due to bad either bad mapping or oil starvation. You've just been unlucky. Build it up and enjoy it.

31. post on csoc - gav the admin has an engine for sale :smile:

32. Back.jpg Front close up.jpg Front.jpg Straight Through.jpg

Slow work but thought I'd update with a few pics. Blown engine is out and new one is being fitted. Pics attached are..

Hole in the front
    Hole in the back
    Close up of the front
    Striaght through picture.

Nigelo likes this.
  33. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Load of rubbish.

jjones82 likes this.
  34. What is it with you commenting on everything I say in a clever manner??
    Have I said something wrong to you or are you just a prick in general?

35. mine has gone wrong, dropped a valve and has made a right mess of the inside, not running silly power, standard turbo etc
    engine has only done 35k miles, after speaking to engineering companies about this, it appears it is not that uncommon for these engines to fail.

36. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Because It winds me up when people post false information on here.

The failures have nothing to do with bad mapping. As per usual Renault the QC on rods and other internal components is all over the shop, hence all the failures have been at varying power and torque levels

As for commenting on everything you say, I think I've replied to you like twice, hardly everything

jjones82 likes this.
  37. Well sorry mr Renault! I didn’t realise mk3 engine failures were so well-publicised with the reasons you say above..
    I was simply trying to let the OP know that he’d likely been unlucky with this particular engine to maybe help give him motivation to get his car back up & running.

Marc Stevens likes this.
  38. Thought I’d make a final post on this one. Finally have the motor all fixed and tuned.

Took it into rst on Monday. Had a 3inch decat plus full milltek catback exhaust system put on then had it tuned up.

Ran 337bhp and 379f/lb torque. Unfortunately there was a bit of wheel spin on the dyno that we couldn’t stop because it was so cold and the air pressure was out of keel on the dyno so it downed the power readout by 4% so its most probably running 348/349bhp. Might have to go back to have another go when it’s warmer!

Had to go to Surrey from there on business then back up to Manchester so it had a good run. Sounds and runs amazing!

The car is going up for sale in the new year so any sensible offers are welcome. 2010 full fat with 70k miles, 2500 on the new engine. There’s a lot of details further up in the posts about the upgrades but if any one needs any more info just let me know.

Mikeyjp likes this.