Back in a Megane!

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Nicholas Weston, May 25, 2018.

1. Hey guys, previously had a 2012 Megane 265 but sold it about 6 weeks ago as I just couldn't justify having a second car that cost that much. As much as I loved it, I just had to let it go. However, I ended up buying my previously owned Clio 200.

Like an idiot I was blinded by what I enjoyed in the car and forgot the reasons I sold it in the first place; too hard for day to day driving and too slow (prefer the torque and mid range of a turbo car if I'm honest).

Anyway, I decided to get something else and was looking at an R26 and Focus St's. However, last Saturday morning, a very cheap Megane 250 Cup popped up on eBay. Its white with black roof, Recaro's, RS Monitor, Bluefin Remap and Milltek exhaust. It had also had the belts done and the swivel joints (?) along with new discs and pads. As I had already had an offer on mine, shortly after seeing it, I had agreed a price and paid the deposit.

Fast forward to yesterday and a 340 mile round trip and I am now the proud owner of a 250 cup. Initial impressions are that I prefer the similar, less glossy look compared to the 265 and the seats are way better than the leather sport seats I had before.

It needs a good decontamination and polish/wax, but thats something for next week. However, in the last 24 hours I have done the following:

Given the inside a deep clean, it was pretty mucky but looking great now. Used a whole pack of Anti Bac wet wipes cleaning it all down.
    Fitted new Recaro material to the drivers seat. Both the back support and base were badly damaged and discoloured. I also moved the foam across from the passenger side as this was undamaged.
    Fitted a Renaultsport Alloy Gear Knob.
    De-badged the 'Megane' letters on back.
    Fitted black Renault badge covers.
    Fitted new Bosch wipers front and rear.
    Had the aircon re-gassed.
    Had two Michelin PS4's fitted to the rear to match the front.
    Ordered a new set of clean number plates.

So far, my initial impression are favourable compared to the 265. Cost me £4k less, but certainly doesn't feel it. I'll post up some photos when its had a good clean next week.

matt e likes this.
  2. Welcome back.

You've done a fair bit on 24 hours. Lol.

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

3. Thanks, I was really pleased with the car until 5 minutes ago. Just popped to the local Spar shop for a pack of Rennies and there was a young lad, 25ish sat there in an Orange Lexus LFA!! Had to do a triple take as never thought I'd see one of those in a little sleep Devonshire village. The best part was when I asked him to give it a little blip of the throttle. Holy Crap, the best sound I've ever heard. Wonder if I could part-ex the 250 for one?

4. Ha ha.

I've been in the presence of an LFA a couple of years ago. Absolutely amazing sound. Lovely car. A dream to have one of those.

5. Just a little update. Cars going great and has had a few more things done. New clean plates on and a new drivers door strap which was making a cracking noise everytime I opened the door. Also had a new exhaust trim fitted as the original was ruined beyond repair.
    Its had a full makeover too now. The paintwork was in a pretty poor state and was covered in tar spots and had never been properly cleaned. Fully de-tarred, clayed, polished and sealed. Came up great I think.
    At some point could do with a full paint correction, but due to being non metallic and white it generally looks spot on. Heres how it looks at the moment.

IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1963.jpg

dot61 and Leigh like this.
  6. looking good, just need to loose the bluefin for proper remap and some lowering springs that gives' that 'wedge' stance and good to go

7. To be fair, I was a little dubious of the Bluefin map having read bad things about it, however, it’s surprisingly smooth with bags of power and torque. Much better than the standard 265 I had before. I will change it at some point but no rush at the moment.
    Ref some springs, it is something I want to do but don’t want to compromise the ride comfort too much. That’s one of the main things I prefer over the Clio. It does improve the looks no end though!

8. I dont use them but by all accounts those lowering springs are very similar to factory springs and relatively cheap way getting lower ride height, folks with Grams/Eibach/Cooksport/HR or similar could chime in maybe.