R26 AST sportline 2 or Nitron R1

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Ph1 Tom, Apr 20, 2015.

1. I'm looking at a set of decent coilovers for fast road use with around 5 trackdays per year. I had ASTs with custom spring rates on my Clio and they were a superb compromise so I'm looking to do the same on the Megane.

I noticed the ASTs on the Megane have spring rates of 80n/mm(456lb) front and rear, how does this feel on the road and track?

I'm not sure on the Nitron rates but the Mk3 250/265 variants have 500lb F, and 400lb R.

There's also the H&R kit but I'd imagine their a bit soft for what I want.

2. BC unless your chasing lap times.

3. The ASTs can come with the double digressive valve which would be nice to have.

The BCs do look good value though I will admit. In track trim they have 70n/mm (400lb) springs front and rear. Just seems soft when my Clio was 400 front and 285 rear and was perfect on the road and great on track. The Megane is 400kg heavier.

4. you can specify the springs you want can go all the way to 12kg if wanted.

5. But is the valving as good in the BCs as it is in higher end stuff?

6. Unless you race you won't know the difference.

7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

LOL!

Oh, I better just get some cheap H&R's or similar for mine then instead of the Nitrons?

Ridiculous statement to make. Oh you don't race? Better just stick with road tyres. I could go on and on.

To the OP, I would personally be looking at Nitrons over the AST's, Due to them being based in the UK with very good aftersales support.

8. I have bc and I chose stiffer springs ordered direct from bc uk for cheaper than ktec and arrived next day.. I'm racing with them didn't have budget for 2k coilover but I think they're really good and for price can't go wrong and With camber plates standard too

9. Are the bc decent then? I'm looking for decent coilovers for mine and thought a car of this nature deserved something along the lines of kw clubsports?

10. I have ASTs on my R, brilliant product shame about the service and after sales you get from the UK, if you can order direct from Holland then that maybe a better option or direct from Cooksport

11. I run the BC's and I'm happy with them, the built quality is good and the fact you adjust the damper and not the spring seat on the front to retain full damper travel is nice.

I use my car on the road and track and got me first track day with them on in 2 weeks, also you get the top mounts that are camber adjustable which is a nice feature too.

The ast's are a nice product but unless my car was a out and out trackday machine I couldn't warrant the extra money for driving to work and back.

Also so there customer service is bang on, I got mine direct from BC next day (and that was day before xmas eve!).

There well recommended in the drifting circles and jap car circles in general

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  12. what shape is you meg ? a mk3 or mk2 ?

ASTs have been proven over the years on track and road to be the best solution for the Mk2 .... I know of 5 mk2 megs running AST's including mine and must say the suspension is brilliant .. as steve says u would be ordering direct from Holland and cut out the middle man in the UK .

AST's are a smoother ride than standard on the road ... and as stiff as you can handle on track . I do know the ride on BC's for road might be a bit more harsh than standard .

As for nitrons , I have never seen a megane on a set so cant really comment ... I'm sure they will be good tho . If spending £2k on coilovers i would say whichever brand you chose you will get a good setup.

Asa's are an alloy monotone design .. what are the Nitrons ? I know they are an alloy body but are they still Twin Tube shocks ?

13. What rates are you on Steve? I'll be taking some weight out of mine to try and get it down to .R weight.

They are very attractive at the price, £670ish including top mounts is very cheap. Are you on the standard or track spring rates?

I've read a good review of the Nitrons on the Mk3. The R1 setup comes with the adjustable top mounts too, they're monotube as far as I know.

What spring rates are you running on your ASTs? Have you got the standard pistons or the DDP?

14. 450lbs all round on the ASTs

15. I'm running the standard but tbh I am going to order the stiffer rears. The fronts felt bang on round a small local sprint track. Mark (Northloop) has ridden in mine and was quite happy.

16. Any need to change them at all, i.e stiffer front or is it well balanced?

Do you find the front stiff enough too?

17. Yeah I do as it stands, I'm at cadwell on the 6th so I'll soon be able to report back.

But in the future I can always up to an 8kg(448lb) or 9kg(504lb)

18. 450 is spot on my mate has ASTs and is fitting 600lb front springs, which will be a little to firm the road though and he WILL NOT come on here to give feed back

19. This is the car in question

20. 8339B8A9-6A95-4077-8B95-E3E96969E4A6.png

21. 4255341B-4C8E-4752-8F38-7F98A2B23417.png

22. AE966127-6E62-4523-9F70-783CF2B030F9.png

23. Anyone wanting to know what a megane can do on track go out a passenger it's around 275 BHP and that's all it needs trust me

24. He owns marks old meg

25. Who does

26. I recognize that car. Been on track with it before now.

You can see the roll on the front end in that photo.

For track I'd agree with 600, I'd just be worried about it being crashy on the road.

27. Roll lol, more than likely doing 100 mph into a tight corner, mind you the gripper diff helps pull it round

28. mine is around 270-80 and yea is touchable to most on trackday but get out there with the racers and need more power haha just not got the legs to match on power circuits not matter how fast in the twistys

29. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Its roll Steve, Clearly.

30. Looks like Cascades at Oulton Park in the photo so on a dry day at that point you'll be doing 70 and its downhill, with that considered its cornering fairly well. I don't think I've got a photo of my Clio there for comparison.

31. Also U think that's roll.. Look at mine within inch of standard cup suspensions life at quarry on castle Combe
    1EB55D43-ADE5-4394-BACF-1DCFBFDE1ECF_zpsf9sr96kq.jpg

32. Wrong link
    cctd050914%20789_zpsmeztxajn.jpg

33. Is that the HMS Ark Royal cornering there?

34. Yea ark royal on slicks.. Haha

35. I'm coming from this where I had 400lb springs on a 900kg car, not 1300kg. Below is about as much roll as I got and that's with a passenger.
    LHP_9732.jpg
    DSC_3719.jpg

Obviously there will be some differences between the cars such as roll centres, arb stiffnesses which will have an effect and not just the spring rate.

36. Think you'll be better off with the 600lb springs

37. I'm thinking of getting a set with 9kg front and 7 or 8kg rear, do they have a full coilover rear or not?

Struggling with AST at the moment and would like some pretty soon so I think BCs will be on order as a temporary solution and I'll swap to ASTs when they can be supplied. BCs could end up permanent if they perform well though.

Out of interest is there anything else than can be done to increase roll stiffness on the Meganes like uprated anti roll bars ans such like?

38. No mate it's inboard spring setup, you can alter damper length again to retain full damper travel.

In terms of roll stiffness you can fit r26/R roll bars iirc there thicker

39. Quick turnaround. Ordered a set of ASTs with the adjustable top mounts!

40. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Aye but have you actually got them delivered yet :wink:

May be in for a wait if you got them off Curtis....