Are stolen recovered cars worth less?

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Muzza, Sep 25, 2018.

1. In short, yes. If you’re questioning its history and value, do will someone else. So therefore not worth as much.
    Especially if recorded.

2. Amazing what three seconds googling will do. I have found another use for the internet rather than shopping on Amazon, naked ladies and car forums.

RS250, Cazper, Beau and 1 other person like this.
  3. Not sure if this is a serious question lol

4. Rephrased because i am terrible at explaining myself.

If a car is stolen but returned to it's owner with no damage (i have no idea if this was). For example this guy was bashed and they took his keys so not like it was actually broken into then is it worth less?

I suppose as FatRS is saying, the fact it makes you question the car then the reputation alone makes it worth less.

5. The problem is you don't know if any damage was done, like when they were hooning around in it, thrashing the shit out of it, revving it to the red line ect ect, anything could have happened to it, so it's going to put most people off, hence being cheaper. Personally I would not touch one with a barge pole, and I think car insurance company pump up the premium sometimes

FatRS likes this.
  6. Yeah you're right, i was wondering if i could go in with a mentally cheap offer if it's not registered but i suppose they'd just tell me to do one and wait for someone that doesn't google registration plates.

Due to my two year old son being a nightmare i have had 8 hrs sleep in two night so my brain isn't firing on all cylinders, hence the probably daft question :-)

7. Do a hpi check and see what it says. It's got to be down as stolen and recovered.

I'd avoid it

8. It'll only be recorded as stolen and recovered if the insurance paid out on it.

The article says it was stolen using the keys so there's a chance no damage was done and it could have been found by the police and returned to the owner so the insurance company wouldn't gave been involved.

Yes however stole it could have thrashed it, but it's a hot hatch and there's a good chance one of its previous owners will have driven it hard for longer than the thieves did

9. of course they are

10. thats how i drive daily :tearsofjoy:

Mikeyjp likes this.
  11. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

But even when buying any car you don't really know how it's been treated, the previous owner could have been doing that anyway so if no obvious damage was done it doesn't make it worth less does it?

12. There is difference between taking a risk that a 2nd hand car has been driven hard, and buying car that you know will have been

13. Charlie Howard

I would assume that any Megane RS has been driven hard though

14. It’ll have been driven no harder then a lot of the track cars on here and yet most are perfectly happy buying them. They’re built to be driven hard!
    If it’s not on HPI then no it’s not worth any less is your answer.

The only problem is it’s got history on the net but let’s face it how many search the reg when buying a new car? Not many.

If you like it, go and look at it.

15. I certainly am different lol

16. the only time anyone would consider a stolen car would be if it had an amazing spec,was dirt cheap and they couldn't afford a straight vehicle. If not, no reason to.

17. Charlie Howard

This isn't technically stolen though.