R26 Anyone still making short shifters?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by james.moseley.37, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Hi folks,

First post - I'm a bit of a lurker, but not had anything to add to date! Had my R26 about 6 months, and have finally gotten around to starting a few jobs on it. So firstly, I'm sorting out the gear shifter not returning to the middle, and whilst I fix the nylon bush, I figured it might be a good opportunity to fit a short shifter. I see that the most recent person to carry this out was Boardy, however, I also see that he hasn't logged onto here since January.

Is anyone out there carrying out these mods, or has Boardy moved on to a different forum?

2. sen

sen

Engine dynamics?

3. I've seen they do a billet unit, but reading through old threads, the general consensus is that these aren't weighty enough to give the same feel as a modified stock shifter. Unless perhaps the design has changed more recently?

4. sen

sen

Mine made a huge difference. Felt like it wasn’t going in gear enough at first.

5. The billet ones do work but only on a phase 1, as they only have 1 spring counteracting the motion instead of 2.

I do shortshifters but being in the NL the postage will nearly double the price sadly

6. I was in the same situation as you so I did my own last week but I took it to a local engineering company who charged me £72 to do the milling work. I bought a new ball and stud and drilled/tapped it myself.
    Makes a massive difference - like everyone says. Really good mod!

I might be interested in doing it for people on an exchange basis, if there was enough interest but would need to source a spare and see if I could negotiate a disount on the milling work

7. I’d be interested to see what the modification involves. Problem is, every thread I’ve read had photos originally hosted by photobucket, and they’ve all now been locked from viewing. ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. I'd be interested too and similar to OP could do with understanding what is involved in removing the existing mechanism and then subsequent replacement

9. I can do this. And it would be £80 exchange. If anyone is interested. Please let me know and I'll get a spare one I have ready.

Dale1uk likes this.
  10. If anyone is interested I do have a spare R26 selector unit I removed from my car after I fitted K-Tec's modified version.

I don't know what it's worth, but it's just sat in my garage doing nothing!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

11. I could be interested in this service next month

12. How are you fixing the nylon bush, I have the same problem now after the cars been sat a while!

13. take it apart..put a slightly larger drill bit through the nylon bush,put it back together..done.

14. How difficult is it to take it out of the car and put back? R26

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

15. its not to bad,but you must follow the guide thats on here somewhere.
    if you are a total novice with the spanners,get someone with moderate mechanical knowledge to help.
    there are a couple of things that can catch people out.

16. Mechanically I'm reasonably confident. If it looks too long winded I'll pay someone to do it.
    I'll have a search for the guide tomorrow when I'm in front of the PC. Unless someone can post a link [emoji6]

17. I’ve just found last night that the problem isn’t with the bush (as I suspect is probably the same as others) but the issue lies with the aluminium housing. My shaft was tight on the bushes (snigger) but after removing the bushes in preparation to clearance them a little, I found a lot of oxidation on the aluminium housing itself. After running a wire wheel cup down the housing, the bushes slotted back in nicely, and subsequently the shaft runs nice and free in the bushes.

I guess the oxidation over time squeezes the bush and is what makes it appear that the bush has swelled.

18. Here's some photos of my old and modified shifter.

In the photo of them beside each other you can see where they have machined and drilled a new hole for the ball stud.

(mine was missing and had to be sent separately [emoji23])

It really is a cracking mod though, and transforms the gear selection! 07f860467c8f94c23bd91cec6ab8107d.jpg a672829ae19c2eff0cb5bd0205910180.jpg 8d7d6d5e42109d955e392e916f88b677.jpg

19. If I can get one on an exchange basis WITHOUT having to send mine first i'd be having one.

Any takers?

20. normally you send it after you have fitted the modified unit.
    thats what we did,all the time we did them.
    We used to ask for a £50 refundable deposit,which was payed back when the exchange was posted back to us.

21. How much would you take ?

22. Split the cost of the one RMDavis has with me then we can use it to get one, you fit it to yours send in your old one I get the one swapped for that one?

23. Really don't know what it's worth mate, but how does £60 posted sound?

24. for reference...£130-ish from renault for complete unit.

25. PM sent

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

26. Ok

27. Selector sold!

Thanks @idontknow

28. sounds good, I've paid for it and will try and get it sent direct to goodwood automotive

Anyone else interested ?

29. Great job! Let me know re payment etc

30. Are you guys interested in splitting the cost of the replacement one now sourced from RMDavis and currently has grantw and myself splitting the cost?
    Just thinking we could ship around our old ones and use this one to start the ball rolling so it would work out cheaper and mean your car isnt off the road while you wait for the replacement?
    Also, asked Goodwood if there is any multi-buy discount if we got a few takers :-)
    let me know ?

31. Morning folks. I have one in prep at the moment that is first dibs for james. And this will be an exchange unit. So as soon as I’ve received his old one back, I can have that ready too. Before taking any more requests. I’d like to get The first one to the buyer. And let them confirm everything is as it should be.

32. Hi, as said in the message after yours, I’ve committed to the first one, so whether mine gets modified or I exchange with the one being worked on, there’ll be another spare to circulate once I’m sorted.

33. ok, sounds good. Let us know how yours works out then will put my order in .. as will grantw I'm sure. I'll get the spare sent in as soon as I hear all is well :-)

RMDavis likes this.
  34. Good team effort guys, thanks to everyone. [emoji106]

35. @Goodwood automotive any update on this? I'm still keen on getting a modified one.

36. ^^ same here

37. Hi - is this still something you would consider as I have a spare now as per the above thread?

markoc likes this.
  38. FWIW I've lost contact with Goodwood Automotive, the last I heard he was taking the spare shifter to be machined, but I've since sent a couple of messages asking if he has an estimated lead time as my car was in bits and I needed the garage back. I've not had a reply though, so have had to put my car back together with the standard shifter, but will give the benefit of the doubt and give it a few weeks to see if he responds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

39. yeah I had a conversation going on direct with him/Goodwood and then it went quiet but can wait I guess and in the interim maybe markoc will respond