Anyone able to tell me what im looking at here?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by nebz250, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Anyone know these engines well im keen to know what im looking at here in these two pics. Im pointing to to smaller hoses pluging into then air intake hose from air filter. Also what is the big cone with renualt written on it. In the second pic what is the plug next to the first coil and what is the plug with the red wrapped cord for. If anyone has any diagrams or links to maunals that i can buy for these turbo engines and not just the normal megane engines.

Attached Files:

2. 1st not to sure, maybe vacuum related?
    2nd is the sound generator, basically a diaphram that diverts induction noise into the cabin.
    3rd is the dephaser solenoid, i assume its holds/supplies oil to the dephaser pully.
    4th is lambda sensor connector, you can see the lambda sensor at the top of the picture.

3. Thanks for that, just also been trying to find out where is the throttle body, i wanted to give it a clean and is it hard to get too. Im having cold starting issues with it and im trying everything.

4. The throttle body is at the front right, its where the pipe with air temp sensor in goes too. I thought you said it was a plug problem on the air temp sensor?

5. First two are engine breathing system, cone is turbo blow off to air (directed toward cabin) TB is at front in line with bonnet catch and unlikely to be cold start culprit

nebz250 likes this.
  6. im unsure at this stage if it is as i have not yet got a hold of a OHMs reader nor do i know how many volts does it need to give off. Im in Australia and people here are hesitant to touch em. Even from renault ive inquired about the plug they just keep saying see with an auto electrician who dont want nothing to do with it. So im scouring the web for any info and learning.

7. Give renault the air temp sensor part number, and see if any information comes up. Or try abit of wd40 on the sensor plug/pin connection, obiviously drying off excess wd40.

8. Yeh ive given the plugs a clean with CRC electrical auto cleaner. My next step is to get a hold of an ohms reader and see what it reads. i just found a good youtube video as bad as that sounds but seems easy and on point. By channel CarsNToys.

9. What fuel you using and from what company?

10. Shell 98. Ive had it brought into Renault to get a firmware update to adjust for our crappy fuel down under in aus but hasn't helped. It was recommended by a mechanic at Renault through a friend and the guy didn't charge me anything at Renault which was at least nice. He later changed a thermostat for me at Renault but off the books however he is baffled by my issue as well. He is actually asking me to try 95 fuel just too see but im not convinced it would matter.

11. I read a post from a few years ago on another site, a car from down under with the same problem, was using caltex 98, was told by a renault tech it was shit in the megane, so turned to shell v-power, which cured it. Also seen a thread aswel saying it was an issue with fuel pressure going up n down on start up, im assuming thats what the firmware update is.

12. It what is seem like its happening that there is not enough fuel pressure there initially for it to keep running. Then also ive heard people say they kept using BP ultimate and the car likes that fuel better as it was used to it. Ive used BP 98 as well and that's when it started mind you i had just bought the car at the time and it wasn't doing it for the week i had it before filling up at BP. Very strange that the engine is so sensitive. For anything else to be apparent it would through up a code or be noticeable while driving but no at all. Was the fuel pressure going up and down cos of the bad fuel or something causing it in the fuel system? What else in the fuel system could cause it only on start up? very odd! I appreciate all the feedback Cheers.

13. No they were two seperate incidents, but it wouldnt harm anything if you change to a different brand and see if it improves or not.

14. I didnt mention the most obvious part and that is that it started happening soon as the weather got colder. It wasnt an issue while we were still having around 30c weather. Could just be a coincidence. It does happen to start on first go every once in a while but still not in a healthy way. The rev may struggle for a sec but it will stay on.

15. Yeh at this point im changing petrol brands and petrol stations everytime. Haha but i dont drive many km its taking a while.

16. You got it on a renault diagnostics yet?

17. Oh yes the Renault technician had a look for codes while changing the thermostat and nothing. The only other option would be to maybe check the computer while turning the car on from cold when its happening, i just got to make a time for that but Renault insists on 3 hours worth of time which is at a rate of $140 per hour to check the car. Ill have too see with the guy i know if he can help out officially and see what he can do in an hr. Come to think of it maybe do a fuel pressure check when starting from cold. Renault servicing is really expensive in aus and your at their mercy as no one else wants to work on them on top of that living in the smaller of the cities in australia doesn't help with options.

18. Yeh i think it need some live data reading, fuel pressure check. Its there any tuners that would touch it?

19. dont think so, i have tried looking and most of them are based in the bigger cities Melbourne or Sydney. I have been looking for an excuse for a road trip.

20. Just to confirm, air temp sensor, it is like a red/orangey in colour?

21. yes the one next to the MAP sensor

22. Just checking they use the same parts down there. I would try different make fuels, and get the fuel lines pressure tested.

23. That being said, i would get someone to twiggle the plug on the air temp sensor as you try n start it, could be it just a shit connection between plug n sensor.

24. will try that as well

25. Have you cleaned the trottle body on these. Anything i should know before attempting it. Im reading quite a bit and firstly not sure if its electronically controlled and if i should attempt it then. Also i hear disconnect battery then just dont open the blades using the blades themselves.

26. No i havent, it is abit tight down there.

27. Got some feedback from a renault tech in aus.
    If you are removing it you will need a new gasket to manifold. Dont force the butterfly open.
    Clean from both side with proper throttle body cleaner.
    When you refit..DONT start the car.
    With ignition off, push accelerator to floor, turn ignition on without starting and release throttle.
    Now start..idle will race a little and settle after a while, as the throttle switch and ecu talk to each other.
    Job done...

Also

Dont force the butterfly.
    You will damage the throttle body..if you wont to clean with it open..have ignition on and have somebody press the peddle for full throttle.
    Dont start it...

28. Im just not going to take the throttle body out and clean what i can in situ

29. didnt change the gasket in mine, its a rubber ring that sit in a ridge. You will be ok reusing it, just make sure its sitting correctly.

30. Havent had a chance yet to tackle the throttle body but was looking at the coil plugs and why is the first plug attached to a wiring cable and sensor via metal plate at the screw. Can i take the plate off or swivel it away. Wanted to look at the coils.

31. Just remove the bolt and twist the coil from under it and twist and pull up. Gap your plugs down to 0.6 if youve a feeler gauge.

32. Yeah that part was easy actually haha but i have heard this else where cos the normal gap is .9mm isnt it. So whats it ment to achieve and how is it done properly? I cleaned the coils while i was at it.

33. Me personally i felt it ran better, alot of the tuners recommend it, as the megane can be funny when it comes to the gap. Well i used a feeler gauge to measure the gap, and apply abit of pressure to tab to bend it down lightly. If you havent gapped plugs before then i wouldnt bother, dont want you to break them.

nebz250 likes this.