R26 Anybody managed to do this before ?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Mikey4410, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Was flooring it earlyier today down a road near my house and the road has a few tiny bumps on,traction control cut in as the car lost grip and there was a big bang.

I have never had this before or heard of it ??!!

Upper engine mount

dynqI4.jpg

2. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

yeah seen it a few times on the facebook groups

3. Ahh fair enough dude.at least im not on my own.cheers.

4. I've had it a few times when really giving it some through roundabouts. It's almost like hitting a wall for a fraction of a second, traction control light going apeshit very briefly, and then all of a sudden......full boost. Same thing?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mikey4410 likes this.
  5. Yeah pretty much man. The only.mount i can find to fit the upper engine mount is the one above which is made of two very thin bits of metal and isnt to strong.i am goin to gwt one made up at work by one of the machinists i think. Get a nice thick strong one made up

6. Mikey4410 likes this.
  7. I would also check the the lower one is okay and that the bolt has not broken or fallen out.

8. Yeah fair comment

9. I’ve just put these top and bottom on mine. Bought the pair of them for £45 off evol engineering. Seem decent for the money.

10. Topman.just ordered it :-)

11. matt e

Racingflex do a good looking one

b2754efdf36ac3daf4cbd1fc573ddedb.jpg 03621f95f3fb1f7d3f522a2444330157.jpg a43b9dfc540ae956ccf9fa03fa588958.jpg

Poppaboost and Si271 like this.
  12. Any idea of the cost of these? They look extremely strong compared to the original.

13. Where to buy them from aswell ??

Si271 likes this.
  14. matt e

15. Are these poly-bushed mounts noticeably harsh when driving and/or idling? A set of strong mounts would seem smart but I don't want much added vibration.

Mikey4410 likes this.
  16. I've got a full set of Vibra-Technic/K-tec mounts on my R26 and when driving normally it's absolutely fine. The additional vibrations are only really noticeable on idle and when crawling/in slow moving traffic.
    Saying that I'll soon be removing and selling them and replacing them with stock mounts. ATM the car is mostly being used for the nursery run and the odd blat out as it's not my main car so I'm not currently benefitting from the pro's of having uprated mounts.

TurboJ and Si271 like this.
  17. Hi Dale,
    When you remove and decide to sell them, give me a shout mate as I could well be interested.
    Cheers,
    Si

18. No problem, will do. Hopefully have them swapped over within the next 3-4 weeks.

Si271 likes this.
  19. In answer to ure question about does it cause any extra vibration and or noise the answer is a huge massive yes.

Mines coming straight out asap as it's absolutely horrendous and unbareable.

Don't bother. That's just the torque mount I speak of

TurboJ likes this.
  20. Thanks for the replies guys. The mount on the picture on this thread which had bent its frame, is there any other solution to preventing this from happening other than a custom mount with poly bushes?

Can the original rubber bushes be removed and refitted? That way one would be able to strengthen the metal part by adding some material to it by means of welding.

Any other ideas? The added vibration of using poly stuff would not suit my wife who wants to use the car for driving to and from work and shopping runs etc.

21. I have ordered up a new OEM mount and will have it strengthened at work

22. Removal and refitting of the rubber parts possible or not and does that involve using adhesive?

23. Yeah they remove real easy. This will need soon as obviously the heat of welding will destroy them. Once I have done that I will do what I did with last mount which was u can actually close up the bigger of the two bush housing with a hammer for peace of mind as in my opinion it was a little baggy standard.will keep u posted to how this strengthening thing goes.

Still massively shocked at how bad that polybushed mount is.feels like ure on top of a washing machine at full belt lol

Never again

TurboJ likes this.
  24. I have tracked my car for over 3 years now got to be 30+ track days and i have never bent the top mount, there must be something else wrong either the bottom tie or the main engine mount, might be worth checking the main one as its oil filled, i had one go all floppy, the top dog bone mount is so close to the engine mount that it doesn't really do much, the lower one does most of the work.

25. Sometimes once they are bedded in people loosen the mounts and retighten and that can improve things. Had uprated on my 106 rallye and Audi A4 and there were only noticeable vibrations at idle when the car was cold really.

26. My mounts are all new and I have checked the other ones and they are still ok Ian

27. Had an Evol dogbone mount on my Clio 182 and I couldn't get on with it, lasted less than 2 weeks before I took it back off, vibration was too harsh and instantly noticeable. Never again, changed to all new oem mounts and car was running sweet :grinning: