Alloy wheel wrap?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by sharkymarky88, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Spoke to a guy near me who has offered to wrap my alloys for a mere £80, I'm really tempted to go for it but just wondered if anyone of here has done it before and will it deteriorate over time?

Cheers chums,
    Mark

2. Never heard of them been wrapped before. Did he mean hydro dipped?

3. You in Manchester? Pasti dipped right. Seen quite a few sets done now

4. You can wrap them, using vinyl wrap like used on bodywork.

Not sure how effective it is but would not expect it to be a long term solution. Best to powder coat or something more hardwearing?

5. No reason why a wheel couldn't be wrapped, it is effectively a painted surface all be it a tricky one to but and shape vinyl wrap to.

My only consideration would be how well the vinyl would hold up near a hot brake disc, bearing in mind that vinyl is applied and shaped using heat. Wouldn't want it to start peeling at the edges.

6. Ash87

Ash87 RSM Moderator

Plus it would have more joins in to go round the spokes? would have thought it would peal easy getting hot and brake dust etc

7. Seen wheels hydro dipped before but never wrapped?

8. Yes definitely vinyl wrapped chaps, im unsure of what vinyl/ method would be used to apply it but I only assume its the usual heat and spread which is why I thought id ask on here as I cant see it working out too well on a set of wheels.....

9. @ losi_8_boy no mate im from essex

10. Monster wraps in Southampton now wrap brakes. They say the heat does not effect it ?????

11. Hmmmm now I'm intrigued!