265 Aftermarket head unit installation

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by DazBav, Feb 4, 2018.

1. 88ED9480-7E25-4ED7-B8A5-770AFDF7E0F7.jpeg 13E9E826-A520-45D8-BE60-2F21A31043C9.jpeg AAAC7D3B-2C1E-42FA-8BE6-2E8265F6E1A7.jpeg E2F6C5EB-1BC6-4154-B469-A22EF1FB0107.jpeg

Little,write up as I’ve done plenty of searching on this topic.
    I’ve had my 265 Trophy since the start of January and very quickly (possibly the steady drive home) I grew tired of the limited choice FM radio and CDs as well as the horrendous sound quality of the OEM unit. Instantly I decided it had to go and I would have a similar set up I had in my previous 182.
    Did a lot of searching and was mainly worried I would lose the use of the RS monitor and also the Bluetooth phone facility. Bluetooth wasn’t so much of a issue as it’s a weekend car so not so many phone calls then!

I already had the head unit, so needed to buy a facia DIN adapter ,DAB aerial,fakra aerial adapter ,the connects 2 wiring loom to continue the use of the steering wheel stalk controls. All in these cost me about £80.
    It was a fairly simple job using some plastic trim removal tools from eBay and the stereo release keys. Total time was just over a hour getting it all fitted neat.
    The sound quality still using the standard speakers is truly unbelievable from just changing the headunit. I haven’t checked the tweeter hole yet to see if I have any so will be also fitting those if the wiring is there as others have said.
    I may also add a underseat subwoofer just to give it a bit more bass. I’ll go for the Kenwood ksc-sw11 as I have one in my MX5 ☺️ and it’s quite impressive for a little unit. It will also fit under the Recaro's as I tried it earlier after unplugging it from the MX5.

So the main thing is the RS monitor works as before. The only difference is when it’s not activated the display constantly shows ‘Renault Sport’ the time and temperature. Unfortunately the Bluetooth hands free no longer works and having spoken to,connects2 technical it won’t with a aftermarket unit. As said I’m not bothered about this as wont get many weekend calls although it would of been nice to keep.
    Also the good thing about the Pioneer unit is the key illumination can be changed to different colours so white selected to match the dials.

Cheers

Genty, arch, Paul21 and 1 other person like this.
  2. I also got the Pioneer so i could match the dash colour, it's not perfect but it's close enough. I wen't for the non CD unit which is nice and short making it easier to fit in the hole with all the extra cables.

I ended up going a little crazy and changed the lot, originally for me i didn't want to change the headunit so as to not render the top screen useless (no RS monitor here, even though it's the right serial for it!). Focal speakers up front, Pioneer 700w amp doing sub and front component speakers.

I was a little saddened that the built in USB, phono and bluetooth were no longer usable also. Probably will return to stock when sold eventually.

A small sub can fit nicely into the side of the boot. I had the floor cover cut just in front of the sub so i could still use the flap to access the underneath.

GRiFBUW.jpg

3. Nice mate, mine being a Trophy it’s based on Cup spec so not even a USB hence more reason to change.
    I used to have a sub in my Clio but found it moving too much when chucking the car about.
    The Focal seem to be popular,what model are they,is a direct fit or need spacers? As said though the sound difference with the standard speakers and just head unit swap is such a difference they are not too bad.

4. Do you have a link to where you got the facia and the adapter to retain the stalk controls

5. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Been considering this myself, I want dab back. Steering controls all work as expected?

6. I did this on my Clio 197 and the quick steering control interface 29-CTR06 WORKED spot on with steering controls all working

Gavin. likes this.
  7. Sorry mate can’t find them now but both were from eBay. The lead was from car audio centre I think via the eBay store. Make sure the facia is black as seen some listed as grey. You’ll need the patch lead depending on make of stereo although my leads came with a universal one.

8. Yes mate steering controls are all good and all features work as normal. Only thing is I went for a discreet aerial and not sure it’s as good as the other stick on ones so signal not always good.

9. Excellent buddy thanks. Do you still have it standard head unit trying to find out if the Mic is just a standard 3.5mm back if straight into the head unit

10. It’s in the shed so I’ll have to dig it out. From memory there is no 3.5mm jack lead. Is this for the Bluetooth? I spoke to technical at Connects2 and they said the Bluetooth is in the oem head unit so will not work. As said RS monitor is retained as are the reversing sensors,wasn’t sure if they were connected in some way!

11. Was looking to just change the microphone if it was possible so trying to find if it is hard wired into one of the plugs or an a separate 3.5mm Jack socket

12. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Looking at this now, on my mk2 the mic had a 3.5ml jack the just got a convertor to take it down to size that fit the head unit, on the mk3 I think the mic is one of the connections that (on the standard head unit) fit into that top gap (see pic)

So... essentially the mic will not be plugged in, the bluetooth is in the original headunit but the mic isn't it's in the roof of the centre console (I think)

@DazBav did you have spare lead from the car that is not connected?

Attached Files:

13. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

I think the microphone is on that white connector in the quad lock, that wont connect to anything on the connects2 posted I don't think?

Attached Files:

14. I've fitted tweeters and a subwoofer in the spare wheel well - it sounds ok but the volume has to be up above 30 for the sub to really do anything

The standard headunit really lacks output

I've been considering going this same route but the dash display just showing RenaultSport all the time and definitely the loss of hands-free would really bug me. It's a shame really.

If the mic in the roof really is just a 3.5mm connector that's adapted into the renault loom it might be possible to hook it up. Or maybe even remove the mic and wire the one in that comes with the headunit?

15. Thanks Gavin do you mean the white twisted pair ?
    I assume the RS250 is the same.

It's easy enough to fit a single din Bluetooth enabled head unit with the box to retain the steering wheel controls I have done it in a Clio 197 I had and other cars but I had hoped in this instance to initially just change the mic. It doesn't have to go back in the centre roof area eadiest place to fit it is the window pillar trim.

16. I fitted a double din headunit to my M3 previously and found removing the standard mic in the roof and running the cable down the A pillar not to difficult

Don't know if the mic on the Megane is easy to get to but might be worth a look

17. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

No I meant the white block and there's a black one next to it too, the Mic could.be wired into any of the pins in either of them.

I bought a Pioneer MVH-X580DAB on the way home tonight, I'll just run the Mic in that they supplied, it's easier.

18. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Glad RS Monitor still works, I've just been to have it added at Stage X :smiley:

19. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Ok, I'm having a senior moment, the CTSRN006.2, I have it plugged in but how does it work, my understanding as that one of the smaller plugs outside the ISO connection plugs is the remote (small plug bottom left of the car quad lock on that image), if they are not plugged into anything in the loom how is the the stereo ever receive a signal from the remote.

I have it all plugged in and as you can guess the remote wont work

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 21.02.46.png

20. If you mean remote as in the steering wheel controls the signals are decoded from the car's Canbus by the connects 2 box. And have you got the correct lead for you headunit from the connects2 box ? ( usually terminates in a 3.5mm jack plug)

21. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Yeah it is a 3.5ml jack, it’s plugged in but nothing on the steering remote works

22. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

I've had 3 Renaults and I've never got the steering controls to work with an aftermarket radio despite following guides and buying countless adapters. People claim to get it working but even when I buy the exact stuff they do it doesn't work.

23. Not done it on a megane but the adapter worked perfectly on my Clio 197

24. Charlie Howard

Didn't work in my mk2 Clio or my 225.

25. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Oh and it also helps if that 3.5ml jack is plugged in :tearsofjoy:

26. so it works now ? if not I was going to recommend an incartec adaptor that I know works as I am using one

27. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Yeah works fine, either I forgot to plug it in or it got pulled out trying to sort the wires out to put the heady it in. Either way, it works fine.

28. no problems and probably came out while trying to tuck all the loom in , right pain to get everything in

29. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

So, the standard speakers ain’t up to the new headunit combined with the pioneer amp. I’ve blown the passenger side front [emoji23]

EDIT: may have taken out its crossover actually as the tweeters going out and crackling too

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  30. Charlie Howard

I've got a spare OEM speaker if you need one

31. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Think I’ll replace with something a little high yet quality, cheers though.

32. Charlie Howard

Just reading through this as the sound quality is annoying me even after new speakers so I thought may as well change the head unit.

I'm unsure if the handsfree will work? I don't want some crap quality mic built into the head unit so would have to be able to use the original mic in the ceiling. Also, can you navigate menus on the radio via the steering controls?

33. Charlie Howard

I should add, can you make calls using the steering controls and hang up?