250 250 Cup starting problem

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by JimRS250cup, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Hello all, hope someone can help.

60 plate cup, had about 4 months. No issues until this morning when the car decided not to start.

As you can hear from the underbonnet clip there are all sorts of noises goin on!

Plugged in an OBD2 and Torque test results display:

30839310857_07a23ef426_m.jpg

Fault code scan returned 0 faults logged on ECU.

Battery is currently disconnected.

Many thanks in advance :smile:

2. Torque OBS screenshot.jpg

Added as couldn't be viewed in OP.

3. Just my 2 cents worth on the diagnosis software. Are you using torque Pro? As I tried using this and found it to be a bit rubbish. Apparently you need the 'Proper' Renault Clip software to read the ECU. Am sure someone will put you right if that's not the case.

4. Think it's just the Torque app, doesn't say PRO anywhere. Does indeed seem to be a bit rubbish! Cheers for reply man :smile:

5. Update!

Found my multimeter and there was only 9.something Volts across the battery.

Got a jump start and again checked the battery with the multimeter whilst running. Reading was initially about 14.3V and then stabilised around 13.6V. Is this enough charge coming back into the battery or have I got an alternator problem?

I've put a new battery in anyway...

6. I would probably say your batterys went, mine did exactly the same, work one minute, gone the next. Alternator seems ok.

7. I'm hoping so Ryan. I came from a Clio 172 Cup - last thing I changed on it was the alternator!

8. Have you have anywork recently done in the engine bay where the any wiring has been disturbed?

9. Nothing mate, bonnet last up about two weeks ago for screenwash.

10. Jim you naught boy! bonnet should be up every week for weekly vehicle and fluid checks bro! Haha

Stick a new battery in it then see how it goes?

11. Yeah looking above you managed to jump start it? Probably need a new battery although mine gave me the warning message on the dash for a while before I changed mine.

12. Yeah fair point! There was about half a trees worth of fallen leaf under there too.

Yeah, jump started straight away. Picked up a new battery from ECP and is now fitted, had to clean up the terminals a bit as they were quite corroded. Could have been part of the problem maybe?

And cheers everyone for input, very welcoming :smile:

13. Ticking noise is normal, doesn't happen every time you turn the engine off but most times