250 Cup gear change

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by arch, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Looking for some info. Not had time to drive the car since picking it up 2 weeks ago but had a play today, the one thing that stands out is the gear change it's aweful, it is really notchy it. Does feel slightly better once warmed up but it's not very good at all. Is this normal or s there's adjustment on the cables. I know the previous owner had the bearings in the bod replaced recently wondering if the cables are the issue ?

2. Pretty normal, I'm sure the gearbox is the same as the ones they use in the Renault vans.

3. Thanks Danny it's pretty shocking the gear change in the 197 I had was pretty slick so was quite surprised by this one.

4. My 265 cup has a better gear feel than a previous BMW.

5. After studying and then replacing various parts on 265 can now change from 1 to 6 and back again with one finger, just need make sure all components are in good order

6. My gear change is perfect on my 250 that’s done 98k, nice, tight and slick. Pretty sure a notchy one isn’t normal

7. What did u change?

8. What exactly do you mean by “notchy” do you mean it’s difficult to go into gear?

9. I was surprised and my firstv thughts were linkage issue.

10. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The short shift mod massively changes the feel of them and can be done for a pennies.

11. It's a bit bizarre and need to drive it more on twisty roads to be able to get a better feel for the issue When it's cold it's worse and it does feel difficult to get into gear. It's doesn't feel synchro related and pretty sure it's not oil related, I used to use Millers 75/140 in the Impreza box and it was like treacle when cold and it was not difficult to get into gear. It is all screaming like a linkage issue.
    Does anyone have parts diagram for the cable set up ?

12. What's involved Jamie.

Genty likes this.
  13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You can buy a short shift linkage but it's just a case of relocating the ball on it so the throw is shorter, drill and tap and add a new ball, there's a thread on here about it somewhere

14. Thanks Jamie just had a search for the K Tec one simple enough but that may not resolve things if there isn't an underlying problem.

15. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

May be worth doing some fresh fluid in it as well.

My shift got really bad at one point, so much so I was misshifting 5th>3rd at the Ring through some of the higher load corners. Was the internal linkage and the box was eventually scrap due to bearings

17. I’m no gearbox expert but if it was linkage related then why would it get better when warm.
    I’d start with an oil change to OEM spec.

18. Did the pennies short shift mod and works perfectly, one component I see failing recently in higher mileage cars is the shit plastic cable bar on top gearbox but under battery box. If that’s slightly cracked either or both ends will give impression there’s a box or cable problem. Should have been made alloy.

-Jamie- likes this.
  19. Thanks for all the replies guys really appreciate it. Thanks Jamie wow what a simple mod.
    Will get the oil changed and get some Miller's in thete it has never let me down in gearbox or diff over the last 15 years assume 75/90 is used in these ?
    I will have a look at the linkage. It may not actually improve when the oil heats maybe it's just me compensating. To be fair I drove it from Wrexham to Glasgow pretty much all motorway it sat for 2 weeks and drove it from. Glasgow to Prestwick today, again pretty much all motorway so need to get out and see what it does on proper roads.
    As mentioned the box has been out recently the previous owner had the bearings replaced so it could well be linkage or box related.

20. i fitted a mtec short shift. great bit of kit and improves the feel and increases a solid notchy feel

21. 75w80, millers 75w90 made my gear change awful from cold, could barely get second gear until it was warmed up.

22. Its fully synthetic though and not mineral, fully synthetic is like piss mineral is a lot thicker, so that could be your problem

23. just use the oem elf gearbox oil.

Genty and jimmy like this.
  24. My box has a short shifter and it feels awsome, mine stared to feel notchy etc just like you described, turns out I had a fluid leak from the resonator, it's a little plastic round thing that sits on a clutch line just under the battery, worth a check, I had fluid all over the passenger side anti roll bar and that area, changed it and it transformed the shift and the way the car felt, attached a pic of the new pipe with resonator

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    6443c276415911ee0ccdca545ecd7701.jpg

25. Thinks Dave will definately check that out, was your clutch reservoir fluid Low as well when you discovered the leak ?

dave77 likes this.
  26. I had topped it up recently as I was getting a brake failure message, and the message never came back and I thought nothing of it, I was underneath fixing the headlight washer and I noticed the leak so the two must have been related, worth a look anyway mate, if not you could try bleeding the clutch and also changing the gearbox fluid, Opie oils recommended fuchs sintofluid 75W-80 to me so that's what I put in mine, hope this helps bud 968fed47a46edbc6fbedb967d6473566.jpg d194f0e3f85e81565165229b76908344.jpg 92593d05ec483ce143725e952b0f7ba7.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

arch likes this.