230 F1 Team R26 as an occasional track car?

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Steve Morse, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Greetings

I am looking for some advice please?

I have been looking to buy a car for occasional track use for a while now. It won't be my daily driver, and I want to drive to and from the track, plus I am no track God, so don't want anything mental. Equally, having done a few track days in my current road car, I know that I love it, but I also know how what demands such driving puts on a car. Hence me looking for a second car.

I want something with a bit of punch (as my road car is pretty quick) but have always shied away from FWD for the handling reasons. Remember I am no racing driver though. :-/

And yet the 230 F1 Team RS26 has a superb reputation and is very reasonably priced, which makes me think that I should opt for one and then maybe spend some (modest!) money on it to make some minor mods to improve it for the track, if required.

All advice is MOST welcome!

Thanks

PS I do not have an endless budget otherwise I'd have probably bought an Elise by now! The car will be garaged btw.

2. Sorry, I meant to add that the track days that I have done so far have been at Goodwood (twice), Spa, The Nurburgring and the Nordschleife. So a couple of 'power' circuits in there, hence my comment about looking for a car with some grunt.

3. I bought an R26 in April for exact same reason. Came from bikes. It came with a dyno'd 256 bhp.
    First TD was on Monday at Bedford.
    Did not disappoint. Did not feel underpowered but then I'm a newbie to car TD's.
    I also got it as they seem easily upgradable and I'm sure others will come along and tell you what they've done to theirs.
    Mine had 53k and I got it for £4200. Needed a bit of work. Check cambelt has been done.
    And don't get the yellow one - mingling. (runs and hides) ;-)

4. If you are happy with FWD, then the LSD R26 is a very smart move. Cheap to buy, run and mod.

Stage 1 remap for 260-270 bhp, decent pads, fluid, some track tyres and take a bit of weight out of the back and bingo, job done.

Avoid spending money on fancy bling, keep a bit of your budget back for contingencies and the high wear items and just get dialled into spanking the car.