225/R26 modified airbox

Discussion in 'Car Parts For Sale' started by lister, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Airbox modified properly
    sounds really good if you have the forge re circulation valve
    £20.00

IMG_20140227_155932.jpg

2. Dropped to £15

3. Is that delivered?

4. Dan

Dan

What does it do?

5. That seriously chopped ha ha mine still comes down or six squares down from the top

dan an it supposed to make the engine breathe better as the hole in it originally is too small and restrictive teamed with a decent panel filter it makes the car sound nicer more induction noise:tongueout:

6. Breath warm air if you don't add a cold air feed.

7. Yeah that's 15 posted

8. Cant view it. What is it?

9. You can still keep the original air feed in place mate

10. Which is the most restrictive part.

11. Just basically says caf are a waste of time dont make much difference thats what your intercooler is for anyway

12. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The turbo will add heat from its body but also compressing the gas adds heat. There's only so much an intercooler can do to cool a charge. Det due to charge temps kills turbo engines all the time. As cold a feed as possible pre-turbo is an essential start to the intake IMO.

On an NA engine the charge temp is less likely to cause det unless far too lean, more likely just to sap power.

13. This is the piece i took out of my my airbox its somewhere in between what most people do the hole at the front is the standard size intake its roughly 63 mm which imo is quite small if you watch the video the cold air feeds make no difference power wise im not saying cold air isnt better but i think your more likely to get gains if you were to go down the route of a bonnet vent type thing than a bit of pipe in your engine bay

[​IMG]

14. If it wasn't necessary why do manufacturers spend all that money fitting them to millions of cars. Its not going to make a big difference but every bit helps and I would prefer to have cold dense air getting to the really hot turbo than warm air.

15. Im not arguing with you just giving my opinion on what ive heard thats all:smile:

16. Track Focus Direct

Track Focus Direct RSM Trader

I just enlarged the airbox hole to 90mm and put a Revotec air outlet in there. The installed a 90mm duct to follow the path of the original plastic one. I have a smaller battery, so it was easy to modify the battery tray and ECU holder to fit the duct in. I can post photos if you are interested.

17. Already done mine. Sounds similar to yours but I used two 3" hoses.

Enlarged the original and added one above.

[​IMG]

Heres how small the original ducting is compared to my new one.

[​IMG]

18. Track Focus Direct

Track Focus Direct RSM Trader

Nice one. 2 hoses is overkill but there's no harm in that :smiley:. At least you get a fresh air feed. I also didn't want the open cone type noise as I can't stand that kind of sound on a turbo car.

19. The top one forces air in to the air box, the lower one lets air out and blows anything else out that might get in there through the ducting.

20. Do you have any pictures of the hoses in the engine bay?

21. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ran it down next to the fog light where i cut out the original grille that was originally blocked.

Done both sides so I can fit a turbo cooler rad on the drivers side.

Will nip out later and get a pic of this too for you.

22. Went out and took some pics before the wife took the car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took about 10mins per side with a stanley knife. Free modding.

23. Thanks fella.

Did you take the bumper off to do this?

24. No bumper stays on.

25. Cool beans.

26. Worth looking into this! Quite an easy mod it looks like. Does it make much difference with the induction noise?