225 225 Phase 2 wheel choices

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by TurboJ, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Going to see a car this thursday. It's a '07 5-door 225 Phase 2, all stock, no cup pack or anything special really. It has the standard Phase 2 spec 7.5J18 ET68 multispoke wheels.

First question. The normal multispokes and the "Cup" multispokes, is the only difference in width, offset and colour? Someone once told me that Cup wheels are different material as well and lighter as a consequence. BS or true?

Second question. A second set of wheels will be needed if the car comes home with us, and I'm wondering what options there are. What are all the OEM wheel types that were available for these cars when new? Will Phase 1 wheels fit and have correct offset? Can one get OEM wheels in 17 inch diameter and what wheel type would that be?

Third question. As I understand aftermarket wheels are difficult to get because the offset value is so high on the Meg 2 RS. And no, we would not want to alter the geometry by fitting "wrong" size wheels. Is there any aftermarket wheel type available that would be very close to the correct offset?

Thanks guys!

2. team dynamics do a correct 67 offset wheel, at sensible money.
    Dont think anyone else makes a wheel over a 60 offset..you should be able to get wheels in the 50`s that will make little difference to the geometry.

My second set of 18`s are on a 45 offset,which obviously is low,but at the limit,i have noticed no difference in car behavior.
    Its supposedly the scrub radius thats altered with low offset,as well as the obvious,wheel pushed further out in the archs.

many guys run low offset wheel with no ill effects.

I bought my second set brand new from Ebay,for not much more than £400.
    The quality is far better than i expected,and weight was very close to the standard wheel.
    Made in taiwan!...which apparently,is a good thing these days!..as oppposed to all the chinese junk.

3. My TD 1.2's are a 45 offset too. As you said...no noticeable difference really, and personally I think they look far better as the arches are filled perfectly!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

4. I also have TD 1.2's with 45 offset work really well on the car, i also bought a set of TD 1.3's with 55 offset and they are 9j wide and they work very well on track, so i bought another set for wet tyres, both running 255 35 18's i have both set for sale now as they wont fit the new car :unamused:

5. Thanks guys!

What about the OE wheels, are there different versions apart from the Phase 1 "star" style and the Phase 2 multispokes? And do you know if the Phase 2 Cup wheels are only different in width and offset or is there a difference in material and weight also (as is said on some press articles) when comparing to the non-Cup Phase 2 wheels?

6. How much are you looking for Ian?

7. possibly,but nothing thats going to make any difference in the way the car handles.

8. Team Dynamic 1.3 wheels X 4, with Federal 595 RSr's (255 35 18) about 3mm on all tyres, very even wear across the treads, rims very good condition.
    £795.

Team Dynamic 1.3 wheels x 4 fitted with Yokahama AD08r's (255 35 18) 6+mm on all tyres, rims in very good condition except one that has very slight curbing it mainly has damaged the lacquer.
    £950.

9. How about the OE 17 inch wheels I have someone has used? Which wheel would that be?

10. *I have heard someone has used

11. Anyone know about those 17 inch RS wheels I've been hearing about? How about any other OE wheel versions apart from the Phase 1 eight spokes, Phase 2 multispokes and Phase 2 Cup multispokes?

12. Simply no point..a few racers have used 17`s,but with no significant advantage.
    but for the road just go for the lightest 18`s you can find,with the closest offset.

As said options are limited..just stay standard multi spokes which are not to heavy,or Team dynamics 1.3`s.
    Anything else will be hard to find,and expensive, for no gain on a 225.

13. Thanks but I'm not looking for track day wheels, I'm looking for winter wheels to run with studded winter tyres on Finnish snow and ice in the winter time. The higher tyre profile enabled by the 17 inch wheel would be perfect for adding some pliancy to the ride and improving grip on loose surfaces. An added benefit would be that the smaller tyres are less expensive and I might even be able to run a slightly narrower tyre with the smaller wheels which would improve the car's stability on snowy roads and make the car more friendly to drive on the limit (you get to the limit every now and again in the winter time around here no matter how careful you are).

14. well,i am afraid not many people can answer that one!
    we dont have studded tyres in the uk..just winter tyres.
    very few people using 17`s,so a answer on here is unlikely..

15. I'm just wondering if there was/is a Renault OEM wheel in 17" that fits the 225. If I knew the name of the wheel in question then it'd just be a case of some eBay hunting. But I guess nobody here has heard of the OE 17" wheel that some have used on their 225s :/

16. Nobody in their right minds run 17's, no matter for what reasons mate! Good luck!

17. Some have used Laguna 17s I believe and perhaps clio 197 17s.

18. So at least we have a psychiatrist active here, that's always useful lol. Anyway, you are always welcome to visit Finland and see if smaller wheels don't help when driving on six inches of semi-frozen snow :smile:

I'm assuming those would be Laguna II wheels you are referring to? And the Clio ones, the 17s were they standard or optional wheels? Wouldn't mind knowing what width and ET these wheels are. But as far as bolt patterns and center hole dimensions go, Laguna II wheels and Clio III RS wheels should theoretically fit?

Thanks for the replies guys!

Si271 likes this.
  19. I'm fairly certain the clio 197 cup 17s fit a mk2 megane. They are 7.5Jx17 ET63.

TurboJ likes this.
  20. Thank you!! I'll start looking at this option.

21. Double checking the complete wheel spec data on mk2 Megane RS. Please correct me if something doesn't look right!

For the Phase 2 models...

Base model wheels are 7.5J18 ET68
    Cup model wheels are 8.0J18 ET70 (same size is also used on the Trophy, R26 et al I believe?)

Bolt pattern is 5x108mm and the center bore is 60.1mm.

Is this correct? Thanks.

If that is correct, what are the equivalent specs for Phase I wheels and also for the Clio 197 17" wheels?

22. dont know about the R26 wheels being ET70 and 8.0..
    i thought they were 7.5 and 68ET,as stated above.

23. Really? Is the original tyre size on the R26 225/40 R18 then? The Cup models run a 8J wheel with 235 rubber.

24. Original tyre size on an R26 is 235. Wheels are 8j 18, ET 67!

25. My fingers are too big....they're ET 68