2005 RS 225, the Finnish way

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Jiikoo, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Hello!
    Decided to join the forum since these are kind of rare in Finland, and the local Renault forum is more of a place for 70 year olds to compare their new Kadjars.

In the autumn i bought myself a 2005 Black Gold coloured 225 Megane. I was looking for something around 5-10k€ to drive almost everyday if necessery (I also have a 206 RC / Gti180 to get around) and something to occasionally take out on the track. In that price range in Finland I narrowed it down to couple of mk3 MR2's, a RHD S2000 and a RS Megane 225. The megane was clearly the fastest and most track-ready as it was so I went for it instead of the fun but slow MR2's and the pretty knackered S2000 (good ones are obviously more expensive).

Anyway, the car was pretty basic, and not driven hard which you could tell from the brakes alone. The poor 4-pots were quite overwhelmed when they met my foot, and they definately need a rebuild because of the grandma style usage they've had.
    Not much else to say about it when i got it except well maintained, around 175 000 km. Maybe the folding glass roof is a bit of a rarity in these, I'm not sure. Even though it's kinda nice IMO just adds more unecessary weight up high.

First things done already:
    -Eibach Pro line springs
    -Good inspection and service (oils, filters, belts etc.)
    -Polishing the automatic carwash-beaten exterior
    -Megane -text delete and front badge paint in black
    -Trying to resolve the rattling of the roof
    4eE0ouAl.jpg
    TmwyUugl.jpg
    WBIyPVWl.jpg
    3MOy59al.jpg
    IWZb1ukl.jpg
    fLW0vb7m.jpg
    bZo2M7Om.jpg

Things to do before summer/trackdays:
    -Both driveshafts need replacing (knocking under full lock, the usual i guess)
    -All 4 engine and gearbox mounts
    -Front arm bushings (camber & caster adjustable powerflex)
    -New expansion tank (I think I'll diy a aluminum one)
    -A good service inc. spark plugs, gearbox oils, coolants, Motul RBF 600's etc.
    -Brembo calibers rebuild and new pads all around (thinking of Pagid/Ferodo front, yellowstuff rear)
    -Something to change the feel of the shifter, short shift kit..?
    -a DIY induction kit from aluminium

That's about what I've budgeted for this spring for this car. Obviosly later on I'll have to do something for the exhaust too, maybe a decat also.
    Couple of questions that are bugging me atm:
    -Are the driveshafts really only replaceble as a whole? Where's the best place to buy new/recond. ones?
    -The eibach's lowered the car about 30mm, do i need some sort of spacers so i don't destroy the new driveshafts straight away?
    -Has anyone found a good long-time fix for the sunroof rattles?
    -Has everyone else got the same cracks in their coolant tanks? 3FguK4nm.jpg
    Seems to me, when i find a used coolant expansion tank from ebay, their all cracked from this same excact spot :laughing:

Sorry for the novel... I promise the next time I'll have some decent pics instead of this garbage :wink:

-Joona

2. Welcome to the club

since I am Finnish also and have had two Megane RSs at last 11 years but also both cars have had modifications. So I have some experience from these years but also I have stored all original parts. I am not here for selling those parts but if needed...

It might be easiest way to replace driveshafts as a unit. I haven't has any problems with these yet but these should be serviceable. It's an every years "dream", this winter I will service or at least change the grease but not yet.
    I haven't seen broken coolant expansion tanks either but broken caps of that tank I have experienced.

Anyway, if you something concerning your Megane I have some experiences with it.

Jiikoo likes this.
  3. Morjensta!
    If You're willing can You send me a PM with maybe your email or something so we can take our Finnish talk outside? :grinning: