Zircotec coating exhaust parts.

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Danny Danger, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Has anyone bothered ceramic coating parts. They claim to lower temperatures, increase performance etc Thinking of potentially doing it in the future especially on the de cat.

Is it worth it.

2. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

In my opinion (and many may disagree) ceramic coatings yes do lower the heat emmission from your exhaust, it may lower overall engine bay temperature slightly and perhaps more at low speeds, at high speeds I doubt it would have much of an effect.
    One issue with the coatings is while yes they prevent heat transfer pretty well they also raise the temperature of the internal part considerably, it can cause stainless, steel and welds to crack or warp. If its all out performance you want at the cost of longevity, this wouldnt be a problem.
    But of course some people have not had a problem either.

3. What do you mostly use the car for? what are really going to gain? and as said above, these things could cause cracking or lower the life. Should not imagine these coatings are all that cheap either

Big Uno likes this.
  4. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Pretty sure the price goes by layers normally?
    I have a friend running this same coating on the manifold, turbo hotside was also coated I believe before he changed the turbo. He has not had a problem, although the milage done on the parts is also quite low.
    The heat production would be quite high I would imagine on a gtx3076r churning out 2.3 bar, so it is possible not to have issues.
    I cant remember how many layers are on the parts but the cost was around £800.

Like you say its completely down to the use of the car.

5. Pricing varys on parts but a downpipes about £90. £300 for a manifold. Varys for the colour. I know turbo dynamics do it on there turbo builds, I was just curious if there was any real benefit.

6. I work for a Motorsport manufacturer and we don't bother as it is not as effective as they pretend it to be instead we use inconel exhaust or more effective ceramic coating on the performance cars. some of them have a more conventional ceramic wrap method.
    Zircotec is regarded in the automotive industry as a cosmetic finish rather that a proper ceramic coating on exhaust finisher of the tail pipe.

Big Uno likes this.
  7. cgrautomotive

cgrautomotive RSM Trader

It depends on your usage, but there's always advantages to be had even if they're small. Reducing engine bay temps and helping the exhaust keep it's velocity so it leaves the system quicker are the main advantages.

There's lots of options with finishes and coatings in various performance levels from quite a few different suppliers, Zircotec offer a performance range as well as a more cosmetic range, then people like Camcoat have a huge range of options.

It's well worth doing if you ask me as the advantages definitely outweigh the cost.

8. Camcoat near me offer external and internal coatings.

9. If you were to coat a sports car with it containing the heat, would it make it fail quicker

10. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Not heard of internal coating before that would be interesting.

I think there are many reasons to and not to have the coating done, theres no doubt it lowers heat emmission.

In my opinion yes it can only negatively impact the part that is coated. The gas temperatures inside will be the same regardless of what you do, the part internally remains the same, the coating is basically a ceramic that does not conduct or disperse heat well. Therefore the part inside is now dispersing heat at a lower rate, and will get hotter.

I think the quality of the part, materials and welding would play a big role though, like I said one friend has been running this coating for over a year problem free.
    Another friend just cracked a manifold with this coating (may have been down to lack of bracing though)
    So I am not saying it will definitely damage the part.