Willdots Clio 220 Trophy

Discussion in 'Other Projects' started by Will., Nov 26, 2016.

1. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

So after nearly 4 years with the Megane, I finally let go, sold it and got a new car. Have been thinking long and hard about it for a few months. I was going to get a 1 series BMW, diesel due to work travel, but after a promotion, the amount of traveling around the UK is very limited now and so diesel wasn't a priority. Then my brother, who worked for Renault, sent me a message to say that one of the first batch of facelift Renault Sport Trophys had arrived in the U.K. , and that he could get me discount. So I popped down one afternoon, went through my options and agreed to buy one. The thing that swayed it for me, was the LED headlights and the updated R-Link media player. My brother has a 1.2 Mk4 Clio and these areas really let it down. Also the Trophy wheels, as I'm not a massive fan of the standard 200 EDC wheels.

Picked it up on Wednesday after work, went for a drive and loved it. (Note, I have driven a new Clio previously, and did enjoy it, just hadn't driven a 220 Trophy).

Had a few hours spare today so went for a drive across Salisbury plane, and got a few pics. Didn't stop for too many pics and I was having so much fun driving. The auto box is so addictive with the paddles, and the overrun noise is lovely in Sport mode. Also the rev matching on downshifts is a nice touch too.

Handling wise, it'll take a while to get used to compared to the Megane. I think there's less steering input, but it's still a case of point and it goes.

Anyway, here are some pics.

IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0023.JPG

2. Cool pics man!

3. diff? What diff?

4. Will.

My mistake. I swear I read somewhere about it having one.

5. Took me 6 months to decide between an mk3 megane and mk4 Clio trophy!

6. Looks nice but theres no LSD there lol :smile:

7. Yeh got me a bit excited then as a small, dual clutch hatch with a LSD had me momentarily interested in Renaults again.....

8. TimR26

TimR26 South Central RSM Area Rep

Looks good mate!

9. I really like the look of those new DRL's! :sunglasses:

Diff (and manual gearbox) can be had in the Juke Nismo RS, it's a mystery as to why Renault decided to skip this on the facelift...

10. Yeah nice touch the DRL layout. Nice car.

11. Cool! my girlfriend's looking into these....how responsive is the gearbox? All the youtube reviews seem the complain that the paddleshifts feel....and i quote...."euughhh"

12. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

You kept that quiet. Lovely! Flame red yeh? Plans?

13. Will.

I like it. For my daily commute it's perfect and it's just an auto.

For when I want to have fun, I put it in sport and manual and the gear changes are quick and not had any issues. Certainly quicker than using a gear stick.

If in auto and put your foot down, there can be a second dely in it working out which gear you should be in before it changes.

I've been wanting to get rid of the meg for quite some time and I finally decided to go through with it. So glad I did. Yh flame red. Always wanted a mk2 flame red clio and the colour hasn't disappointed. Standard for a while. Few track days hopefully. Maybe an exhaust of some sort in a year or so.

14. Looks very good. I really like the new clios!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk