South Kent Newbie

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Geoff230F1, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Hello all,

Last weekend I purchased an 07 F1 R26 and even though I have only had the chance to drive the car 3 times I love it. I am looking to do some sensible modifications with track days in mind and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. From what I have read I think I have a list of things already that I want to do and I have started by losing some of the boot trim and the engine cover and mounting points. I do need to keep the car usable for carrying the kids on occasions unfortunately.
    Loose some more weight from the car, door panels and rear side panels maybe?
    BOV, I know some people hate them but I was always jealous of a mate that owned a R5 Raider with a BOV back in the day and I am a big kid. There is no downside apart from the noise or am I wrong?
    Another set of wheels
    Brake pads and DOT 5.1 change
    The car has been recently serviced and the cambelt has been done. It has a huge folder of receipts
    Great to be here and I hope to meet some of you along the way

Geoff

2. Hi Geoff and welcome
    If you are going to track the car, then i would suggest a better brake fluid than the DOT 5.1, something like Motul rbf 600 or 660.
    You could loose the door panels but i don't think you will gain that much in performance but you will in road noise.
    Personally i wouldn't bother with the BOV, you will be better off with an uprated recirculating valve and cone air filter, not quite so "boy racer" but still a nice sound.

Modifying can be a slippery slope, some parts make a big difference others not so much, your choice but enjoy :sunglasses:

3. Thanks for the reply Ian. I think you are right about the BOV. I was adamant I was going to fit one but there will be no point at all.
    I have been looking at a stud conversion and spacers instead
    I had never heard of the Motul brake fluid so I appreciate the advice
    What recirculating valve and filter do you recommend?

4. Welcome Geoff. I'm in Kent to. I just fitted a properfekt recirculation valve to my R26. Get a nice turbo flutter sound with the foam removed from the airbox and the corner cut off, though I am going to fit a cone filter behind the passenger headlamp.

5. Thanks Chappers, not in Whitstable by any chance are you? Ive been told there is a Liquid yellow R26 round here somewhere. Is there a kit to locate the filter behind the headlight or is this a DIY installation?

6. Why are you fitting spacers ????, if you want the wheels to fit the arches better, get some wheels with 45mm off set, i ran with TD 1.2's for a long time with no problems, there are a lot of Ford wheels with that spec and i think some Vauxhall's as well.

RBF660 is a high temperature resistant fluid, i have discoloured my calipers and disc's due to the heat and never had any fade, Endless fluid is even better but at £35 for 500ml :sob:

I am using a Forge one, but as Chappers said the Properfekt one is also good.

As for the air filter, i am using a K&N type cone filter and its easier to run a air pipe from the front up to the filter.

7. Ah I didn't think I had any wheel options really, I wanted to fill the arches better but also get a bit of a wider track and thought that was the way to achieve it. All the companies doing stud conversions offer stud options with spacers in mind. So 5 x 108 45mm offset?

What are the benefits of fitting an uprated recirc valve?

Hard pipe or flexible?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get things right

8. I also had some TD1.3's with my track tyres on, they were 8.5j wide 50 offset fitted with 255 35 18 tyres, for that extra bit of tyre grip. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yes 8j x 18, 5x108 with et45 fit without any problem, even better if you go the coilover route
    Studs you can buy on there own, sure there M14 x 65mm, never fitted them to my mk2 but they have been fitted to the mk3.

The Renault recirc valve is a bit flimsy i think and its not serviceable, you can also change the spring tension on the aftermarket ones.

I had the standard pipe on mine and a spigot to mount the air filter on.

If you do a search on here you will see quite a bit that i put up on the work i did on my 225.

9. Thanks for your help Ian and pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated mate