250 Shuddering/whining noise while idle, rises with RPM? Video inside

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by HASLE, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Heya,

My RS250 has developed a sound that I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be making. I know, I know - the RS makes some funny noises sometimes, but this one's quite annoying. I stumbled across this video below on YouTube, and mine is making that exact same sound. The uploader hasn't disclosed what the issue was, but maybe one of you guys might have an idea? :smile:

Thanks in advance!

2. Sounds like a pulley/idler bearing on its way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thanks for the response. I bought the car five months ago from a non-Renault dealership that I would deem quite trustworthy, and they changed the cambelt, waterpump, aux belt and dephaser pulley before I took delivery, even got a receipt for the work carried out. They could have done something wrong during the operation of course, I guess :/

4. alternator pulley bearing but guessing

5. Hi mate, did you ever get to the bottom of this noise?

6. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Sounds like the AC pulley, but I believe the aftermarket AC pumps just sound like this

7. Mine didn't used to do it but since the warmer weather its now started doing this noise so interested to see if people have actually got to the bottom of it?

8. Charlie Howard

Well mines done it since I got an uprated pump from K-Tec, only makes the noise with the AC on. Stops as soon as you turn it off

9. Ah ok, mine does it with the aircon off
    Drive and runs totally fine. Not there on cold start only when car warms up. Its weird

10. Charlie Howard

Sounds like a pulley of some sorts then