265 Removing oil filter without oil pissing down block.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Sgwads, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Asabove really

How do you remove a oil filter from a 250/265/275 that's full of oil without oil pissing down block.

It's very tight in there anyway and just slightly undoing it makes the oil piss out.

Thanks

2. If it’s anything like the r26 engine then as far as I’m aware there’s no way round it. Just have to unscrew it and then try keep it the right way up. Then after you just have to get in there with an old rag and mop up as much as possible. It’s a stupid design lol.

BIG E likes this.
  3. As above. Unscrew it quickly and turn it upright..... Absolutely daft design

4. Does anyone have any better solutions to stop this?
    Anyway of getting more oil out of the filter prior to removing it or a cleaner solutions?

5. buy a sandwich plate.one that allows sensors to be screwed in. bolt that to the heat exchanger then bolt the filter on.it should be fair enough out that when you remove the filter it drips straight down past the block.measure to see how far out you would need to come to clear everything thats in the way..worth a measure at least.

6. just an idea

7. Pay someone else to do it.

Or just wedge loads of blue roll in to all the nooks & cranny`s beforehand to aid clean up. Totally shite job to do.

BIG E likes this.
  8. this for around 15 oil changes so far

9. D_K

D_K

Renault should really give a free can of brake cleaner with every oil filter for these :smiley:

10. Brilliant idea, amount of cans I’ve used cleaning up oil mess over years is insane

11. I did try to use a sheet of bent cardboard to keep the spilage away from the block but didn't really work on my own. Might work better with a second pair of hands?

12. This made me laugh, as did oil/filter change yesterday. Oil all down my forearm and all over the place, ha.

13. Saves it all going over the block then :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

T&biskits likes this.