R26 Rear beam refurbishment

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Chris79, Mar 31, 2020.

1. 73F9F270-B40D-41A6-A975-2E23D65562E8.jpeg B885C4D4-F5CF-45AC-9DFB-303D30CBD041.jpeg 7898315F-8D4E-4FF0-A657-617AD2D95B9A.jpeg Currently in the process of refurbishing the rear beam and have a couple of queries if anyone can help?
    The centre bush mounting bracket for the ARB has perished into dust. I know the bush and the top part of the bracket are available to buy but wondered if anyone has replaced or made the bottom half that appears to be welded to the beam?
    Second thing, are the abs rings on the hubs easily removed or replaceable as I don’t want to fuck them up if not!! Cheers

2. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

Im just currently doing the same. The abs sensor discs things come off buy you'll have to use a pry bar behind them to pop them off and soak the flange in WD40/plus gas before.

Your struggle to do something thing with that middle clamp though unless you know someone with a welder 10c3d471d655c77cebe76d81d2aeb1a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

3. Cheers Matt, I’ll get them soaked now ready for the morning. I think I’ve found an alternative way of doing the bush. Will order this kit and Hopefully adapt the subframe to fit it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232577230149

4. matt e

Yeah that could work, fit a couple of rivnuts to the axle to bolts it too

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

5. Exactly. It’s a better setup than what’s there and works out cheaper than the Renault parts. Waiting to see if I can buy just one but may have to buy the pair if they don’t sell separately so give me a shout if you want the other one.

matt e likes this.
  6. Actually looking at the listing it is probably just one item!!

matt e likes this.
  7. matt e

what size is the arb on the axle?

8. wanting to do this myself at some point so following closely
    i currently don't have an ARB in the rear on the GT.
    Does it actually make a lot of difference to the handling?

9. So, I had the beam shot blasted this morning, pics reveal what’s actually left of the centre bush mount 3 out of 4 of the arb bolts sheared clean off so currently drilling them out and will also grind the remains of the centre mount off. If the new bush and bracket arrives in time will hopefully get powder coated before the weekend.

Attached Files:

10. Hi mate, can’t comment on the handling differences as never driven a std Meg. Must be an improvement otherwise you wonder what the point would be. I’ll be selling the beam that’s on my car at the moment once I’ve got this spare one finished, if you need one

11. matt e

did you get the abs shields off ok?

12. that what i thought also, i'd be willing to buy it of you depending on Covid-19 and work, as being self employed i have been told to stop working on the project for the time being so no more money coming in... we will see how long this last for

13. Yes mate, thanks. Used a couple of chisels to lever them off evenly.

14. I’m same in the same boat mate, being self employed, luckily I’ve been gathering parts over the winter to work on in the summer so I’ve got a few bits to be getting on with!

tof73 likes this.
  15. I'd be grateful if you could get some photographs of the end mountings and some rough measurements of the actual arb!

I think this would be a very worthwhile upgrade for a 225 and I'm looking at the options for fitting one to mine.

The problem with swapping the whole axle is you would need new discs as the mounts are slightly different, may also need to change parts on the calipers too, so not quite as simple as a straight swap.

16. matt e

id personally say its not possible to mount the arb on a normal axle, you'd need to fabricate the mounts and weld them on. it would be alot easier to just fit the complete axle

17. I agree with what Matt says about swapping the whole beam, much easier in the long run as you don't have to fabricate anything. Then you have the ball ache of sourcing the ARB so best to just pick a complete unit up. There was a complete beam with discs/pads and calipers on eBay for around £170 a little while back. Whether it's still there I don't know. If you still want pictures and measurements, I can get these for you, just let me know. Cheers

18. I've recently fitted new rear calipers, genuine discs with stud conversion and new pads. Welding a couple of mounts would be far cheaper and easier lol!

Measurements etc would be great! I'm thinking if I go down the route of fabricating mounts, I may be able to fit a larger diameter bar for extra rigidity.

I only use mine for track and the rear needs stiffening a fair bit.

19. E1540D8B-576C-4E93-BF86-034D9C4C1613.jpeg 792CB2D5-6C83-41B6-8F79-511E0CC00F16.jpeg 24CE2C7E-F5E9-4F57-B356-FC104572E689.jpeg 8439D9CC-709A-480B-80AE-7FF7C336E486.jpeg 72F51F55-2B78-4167-930C-5C563183DB99.jpeg
    Here are some pictures for you mate, you’ll have to let me know what measurements you want though.
    All the parts turned up this morning so have ground the old mount off the beam and in the process of making a new plate for the super pro bush ready for welding This afternoon. Turns out you do in fact get 2 bushes and 2 clamps in the super pro kit so I have a spare if anyone fancies doing the same.

20. So on an r26 does the super pro kit replace the original or is it a universal part?

21. It’s a universal item mate. Will need a bit of fabricating to fit but left with little choice considering the state of the original!!

22. All done, ready for powder coating Monday.
    79CDD02A-54E3-4760-9065-D8B501CB2D37.jpeg B96A6117-3DD5-4B03-AB44-8C9BA7DEB78F.jpeg

23. 83599B06-9FAF-446C-A114-191AB78CFEB5.jpeg So, Beam and arb powder coated and bolted together, Just waiting on the new discs to arrive so I can do the swap.

Andrewa, matt e and ianplymouth like this.
  24. Looking good Chris

Hopefully it won't be to long before you can give it a try :laughing:

25. Looks good, the photos are a big help, I can get rough measurements from my axle if needs be.

I'm thinking of maybe making a bar that connects the two shocks together, straight underneath the spare wheel well. Can't decide if it's a great or terrible idea lol.

26. Terrible idea as when the suspension compresses, it will hit

27. Haha, will have to wait like everyone else! If we were at the ring today aS planned, this wouldn’t have got done!

28. But at least its done for the next one now :sunglasses:

29. I'm thinking of an angle down on both sides for additional clearance, I have coilovers too so there's not much spring travel anyway.

This would be something that would have to be fitted and removed trackside.

There's going to be 0 track time for me this year now so I've got plenty of time to think about it lol!

30. 78B12A88-7B2A-4961-BFAB-29E74DDD08AF.jpeg F5F91BBC-FCB4-470A-9117-918D49574CFA.jpeg DFF29DBE-0242-447E-A42A-7719AF3C1964.jpeg Just a quick heads up to anyone following this. I ordered a new pair of rear calipers on Saturday from a company in Poland which arrived today! Best thing was the price £132 delivered for the pair. Details in pictures if anybody needs some.

Jukidam, sunnylunn and matt e like this.
  31. wow that's a great price

32. Yeah great find, I replaced one last year and cost me 105 for one!

33. My Original beam is off now, It will be in the for sale section tomorrow. I can offer to refurb it the same way I’ve done mine. Has Brembo plain discs (vgc) and calipers that were refurbished a year ago. Message me if interested to discuss. Cheers

34. Hi. I'm about to undergo the same thing in the next couple of weeks. What torque value did you tighten the beam up to?

35. matt e

the 3x bolts to the chassis 62nm
    the bolt that goes though the bush 105nm

36. Hi... About to do the same to mine in the next week or two. What torque value did you tighten the beam to?

37. Phone is useless lol. Ignore last message.

38. Thanks mate