Possible Return.....

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Poobah, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Since the S2000 is going this weekend I've been looking at replacements. For this car I'll have a much reduced budget as the majority of the cash is being mopped up with a second house purchase.

Currently considering a return to the RS fold with either a Clio 182, Clio Trophy, 197 or a Meg. Looking at Meg's it appears that I can either get a 225 F1 in decent shape or a slightly less than perfect R26. My max budget is going £5k so not huge.

Any opinions on whether a reasonable R26 can be had for that sort of money? Had a Ph1 225 Cup, 197 and an R26 previously so have previous. :smile:

This one won't be a garage queen and will be used a fair bit for fast road and trackdays.

2. Depends if you fancy some boost but out of those listed for £5k id be in a well looked after trophy

3. Daz

Daz

I'd be getting a ph1 172 with plenty of money left for cams and supporting mods.

4. Trophy for me

5. For your budget, I have just the car! My mate has a Clio trophy which is in great shape. It's had the suspension overhaul, its had recent brakes/tyres. It's ready to go and he wants £5k I've told him it's too cheap as mint ones are £6k but I secretly don't think he wants to sell! He's in no hurry, but let me know if you're interested and we can sort something after yours is gone.

Or, as an off the wall.. Jon seal has a 126k vx220 for £5k!

6. Oh and on the r26, you might be lucky but I'd think it's a cat d, high mile or hiding problems R26 you'd get for £5k you'd be better off getting a mint meg trophy with low miles and saving the cash..

7. Got a link to the Trophy? :smile:

8. a decent 172 cup would be my choice

9. Clio trophy for me as it's a little bit special and you've already done the meg. Mr turners sounds like a good option. His also right with regards megs for 5k, they'll have high miles or be rough around the edges and needing some tlc.

10. Daz

Daz

Trophy isn't worth the extra money imo.

If you want to do track days you'll want better seats than the tosh recaros in a trophy.

You could have a mint 172 boost bus with great seats and money to spare.

11. or buy a twizy?!

12. The trouble is I'd need it to be reliable for more regular use over the next 6 months. After that it'll end up being an occassional weekend car but for the first 6 months it'll be getting used by the Mrs as a work wagon. Not sure a 172 with boost would fit the bill?

13. With a budget of 5k I would pick a Trophy. Ideal for everyday use and great fun round a track.

14. Nah - sod it and do what Ads says, buy a Twizzy :smile:

I've not got a link as he had it on eBay for a month and had one phone call! He's not bothered re-listing as it's just his missus giving him grief about having too many cars and doesn't really want to sell! He's bought a Merc new through his company, and has an old MG Metro in the garage (we give him stick on that, it broke down on the way home!). He's got a 406 that his missus drives too.

I've got a few more details on it:
    Standard except for Milltek cat-back
    New cat for this years MOT
    Full Service in Feb 2013 which included:
    New discs and pads all round
    New hoses
    Fluid flush and change
    4xnew Michellin tyres (PS2's or whatever the original spec was)

MOT to May 2014
    Tax to Nov 2013
    New battery in 2012
    Cambelt at 36k
    Suspension reconditioned at 45k

It's wanted for nothing, and there is nothing wrong with it. Literally a jump in and enjoy car. I've always seen it and thought it was mint, but in his words there are a few age related marks. That's hyper-critical though, it's not got any scuffs/dents or bits hanging off. I'm tempted myself except I'd probably crash it like my last Clio lol

I've not got any pics yet, but it's just standard. If anyone wants them, send me a PM.

15. I've had a trophy and they are overrated. I honestly believe a good ph1 172 or 172 cup would be better. Ph1 on cup shocks and sportlines and you are on to a winner

16. Ash87

Ash87 RSM Moderator

Decent 172 cup or 182 with sus upgrade would be suffice and money left to play with.

17. Iirc theres a 172 cup turbo forsale on CS. 4.5k and its had alot done. And its only around 240bhp atm i think so it should be safe enough :smile:

18. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

I can see you in a F1, cooksport springs, would suit you to a tee!

19. Clio Trophy out of the choices.

20. You can buy one for 5k no problems, it's the keeping it going.