Other hobbies Nothing car related

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ianplymouth, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Hi all
    Just wondering what else you are getting up to with these spare and uncertain times.

For me i work as a marine engineer, since this virus has turned up i have very very little work, i am not allowed into the marinas down here, also the parts suppliers are closed as it's deamed non essential.

I like gardening, not the flowers side of things but the growing of vegetables and fruit, i also have a collection of carnivorous plants.

I normally don't get time to do much at this time of the year as just before Easter and weeks after tend to be my busiest time, but this last few weeks have given me loads of time to get potting and pottering.

I have planted
    Strawberries (lots and lots)
    Tomato's
    sweet corn
    radish's
    Pea's
    Pac Choi
    Gooseberries x2
    also bought a plum tree, another apple and a cherry tree.

https://flic.kr/p/2iUmpFw
    https://flic.kr/p/2iUnY22
    https://flic.kr/p/2iUiBbt

Agreen and manugtt like this.
  2. got a decent garden in the country here in devon.
    all flowers though..no veg.Need to get some going really.

i planted a established willow,and 2 cheery blossom trees a few years back.

3. fkn triffids isnt it ian....aarrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

4. upload_2020-4-26_0-17-19.png in regards to my hobbies.I am a lifelong martial artist with 25+ years of karate experience
    ,as well as many years Kickboxing.
    Keeps me fit..as well as pretty much permanently injured in some way!..what fun.

manugtt likes this.
  5. Most of our trees are in pots, garage is at the back of the house so loads of concrete as a drive, that we never use as a drive.

most of the veg is also in pots spread out on the drive, got to water everyday some times twice

6. Saves on fly spray :laughing::laughing::laughing:

7. we have a lot of separate areas in the lawn for all the flowers and bushes..as well as large raised planters i did a few years back..as well as many pots on the patio..

8. Patio, your posh :laughing::laughing:
    We were going to pull the garage down, but it's where do you stick all the shit thats in there :tired:

9. she wants more planters now!..but covid has fked all that up!

10. i built a garage and a huge shed when i first moved in..first the shed got full..then as kids come along...my car was moved out the garage..and now thats fkn full!...makes me wonder how i ever had a car in there#!

11. We were lucky, managed to get some just in time, been to the garden centre today

12. that's why my workshop comes in handy, somewhere to store and work on the car

13. cleared the garage out last weekend..took me all day!..but now i can find things again!

14. I like a bit of 3d printing, about to put my Cetus 3d into retirement, as I am getting an ender 3 Pro

ianplymouth likes this.
  15. Been off work for 16 months since being made redundant.

Nice little career break. Been gardening and cycling loads. I had social isolation sorted before it was fashionable. Never changed much in lockdown. Slightly shorter cycle maybe. Less sitting drinking latte maybe.

Now I went back to work on Monday. It's like a prison looking out a window being locked in.

ianplymouth likes this.
  16. You just can't please some people :laughing::laughing::laughing:

My wife is really enjoying this time off, i am to a point but i need money for track days :laughing::laughing:

good to have a real wage coming in though isn't it :confused:

17. What sort of things are you making, did look at one a few years ago but a lot of computer programming so that's me out. :pensive::pensive:

18. Will post some pics up after work, if you get printers like the ender they are pretty much ready to go out of the box, the slicing software comes with pre set options, so you can pretty much click and go, it is mostly learning what is causing your printing problems and what to tweak to sort it, but tons of videos and very active Facebook groups

ianplymouth likes this.
  19. Need to know man...who are you?:grin::grin:

Ian, my wife love flowers and vegetables. Unlucky, we live in a small apartament in the city and she has to conform with this...
    IMG_2999.JPG
    About my "no cars hobbies", I like much cinema, overall horror movies, books and comics. I like much music too, over all metal, but enjoy classic like Vivaldi or Albinoni too!:grin::grin:

20. whats your favorite horrors manu?....i think i have seen every single horror film thats worth watching.The best true horror films are japanese,korean or french.

21. I´m not very fan of french films, but "Martyrs" liked much. "Frontiers" and "Al´interieur" too. I think I´m more classic! Can´t tell you favorites, have a lot! Like to watch them again an again. Maybe "Texas chainsaw massacre", Hooper´s one, can be my debility.
    Please, tell me some titles that you think worth, in this days of virus, all advice is wellcome!!
    Don´t me who are you in the pic yet!:tonguewink::tonguewink:

22. nice work there :sunglasses:

23. I got my veg patch built and sowed some seed on the weekend prior to the lockdown, could see what was happening so rushed it lol!

I've got carrots, beetroot, rhubarb, spring onions, lettuce and broadbeans on the go.

I started with the gardening last year, I've got a few exotics in pots such as windmill palms and banana plants, the bananas are growing well in this weather and look awesome with the ferns around them!

I'm lucky in a way that I built a big garden room at the end of the garden a little while ago and have it kitted out as an office and gym so I've been able to keep fit during the madness.

Is that a tree fern I can see in the background ian?! :hearteyes:

Attached Files:

andrewjeffs likes this.
  24. i am the one right in the middle wearing the venom t shirt, with the orange snake head on it!

Best horror films.....I SAW THE DEVIL......korean horror....unique film, with some very strange twists and turns.Not to many original horror films,but this is one of the very best.

Zak Snyders remake of DAY OF THE DEAD....excellent remake,and a good film to boot.In my opinion,better than the original.

SHUTTER...thai horror...again very creepy,with a great plot....dont get confused with awful hollywood remake ,of the same name.

john carpenters..THE THING....Seeing as this was 1980,its special effects still stand up today.Best hollywood horror.

Then you have the classic Japanese horror of RINGU and THE GRUDGE.....both brilliant....and yet again,make sure you avoid the rubbish hollywood remakes.

other great horrors...Cabin in the woods...Evil dead 2....Train to Busan....Rec...The Descent,and the first SAW movie.

And if you havnt seen it...the first 3 series of the WALKING DEAD were brilliant...it just lost its way after that unfortunatly.But for a while it was some pretty gory stuff,with a great cast of characters.

manugtt likes this.
  25. My other hobbies are cycling every other day, mainly along the river Tyne. Helps to chill after stressful work days. Really enjoying listening to tunes on my wireless Sennheiser headphones I got at Christmas, fortunately I can't her other people when I have them on!
    Not really into horror films. Watched 'Once Upon Time in Hollywood' last night, great ending. My favourite film ever is undoubtedly 'The Big Lebowski' absolute classic.

manugtt and andrewjeffs like this.
  26. The thing is a classic, really doesn't get the credit it deserves in my opinion!

Totally agree with the walking dead, I sweated the first 5 series but it just started getting crazy with over the top gore and poor story line!

27. WwLksoS.jpg
    Kn2Dxzi.jpg
    ggEICkV.jpg
    vY2Msms.jpg
    OP3rpBn.jpg
    kZcRUbR.jpg

garden pics....last 2 are of one of our local beaches ...never before..and probably never again, will you not see a single person on them..surreal stuff!

manugtt likes this.
  28. yep..its a soap opera now!...i used to love watching this on monday nights...now,havnt watched one for any of the last 3 series.Its supposed to be about people trying to survive a zombie apocalypse...when you started getting episodes with no zombies in it at all...i switched off!

29. Will be when it happens I guess. Kind of got used to living on no money and plenty of free time.

From being very financially motivated its been a recalibration.

Things like …. I want a M2 comp. How much do I want an M2 comp over my mint low miles Cup-S..... A little. So not enough to work a year and save £25k or have a quarter of my pay on monthly's. No not that much.

But when its coming in every month you just find a way to spend it.

30. Ohhh lets see, M2 or a cup-s :openmouth:

Cup-s all day long, that's a lot of money for a car that's no quicker than a Meg around a track :laughing::laughing:

eddie ninja likes this.
  31. Excellent cup-s and no job instead of M2 and bow in down to the man. Will Jack it in tommorrow.

32. in the right hands it should be.My mate has a m2 comp,and was the fastest car at the last track day he went to.
    He is a looney though...i would never treat a brand new 55k car the way he does.

33. Andrew, seen all them! Some twice:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: I totally agree, hollywood remakes are shit. Cabin in the woods had no like too much, and of course, Carpenters is one of the master of horror, like Hooper, Cravens and Barker. I like your style man!! Have you seen "The witch"? It was the last that i´d like.

Paddy, take for sure, Tarantino never disappoint you. Maybe "Once upon a time..." is his lighter film, but cool too.

About Walking Dead...happened exactly like you. Firsts seasons were good, another kind of survival horror, but then...I think the good ideas disappears from screenwritters...

Nice talk by the way!:wink:

34. havnt seen The Witch..will give that a go.
    As you say..Tarantino is the master.PULP FICTION ,definitely in my top 3 of all time..along with GOODFELLAS and ALIENS.
    If you get a hour...watch the making of ALIENS on youtube.
    Absolutely incredible how they created techniques and effects, that had never been done before.I love that film and have probably seen it 25 times.

And yes...i really loved Dicaprio in ,Once apon a time in Hollywood....many hate that film..but i think they just dont get Tarantino!

THIS BOYS LIFE is a classic Dicaprio film that never gets mentioned.
    One of his early films with Robert Deniro ,as his mothers abusive boyfriend.
    Some fabulous acting on display.

manugtt likes this.
  35. I suspect then Manu,you have seen some of my other favorites like SIN CITY and the remake of The FLY with jeff goldblum.
    300 is another favorite of mine.I actually sat next to in school ,one of the spartans in the film!

Have you seen the amazon tv series THE BOYS....
    brilliant take on the super hero format,where superheros are actually worse than the criminals.
    Stars karl Urban,who was Judge Dredd(brilliant as well)...as well as bones in Star Trek(first one... also brilliant!).

manugtt likes this.
  36. I can cope with Si Fi horror, but straight horror i'm not fussed.
    I like Si Fi in general though

37. I like the Ripley saga, of course! But none like Ridley Scott´s one. And can´t talk about Scott without to mention one of my favorites "Blade runner". Have many titles that I watch once at year minimun:grin::grin:
    "The fly", another jewel. But think Cronenberg is sick!!:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
    "Sin City" and "300", great job of Frank Miller, but in this case prefer the comics.

You have good directors and actors in England man!! In Spain...:sweat::sweat:

38. Not horror, but have you seen "Stargate" and there was a sequal, then as usual with American stuff they made a series out of it, that's the sort of stuff i like

manugtt likes this.
  39. Big fan of aliens. But i don't think you can beat terminator 2. Both Cameron at his best.

Two sequels that are amazing because they move the genre from horror to action.

manugtt and andrewjeffs like this.