Options for Sub on standard head unit

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Meerkat, Feb 11, 2019.

1. 2011 RS Mégane 3 with standard head unit. Upgrading speakers and amp on order. Want a sub to go under seat. What are my options regarding fitting as I believe the standard head unit does not have phono sockets.

2. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

You can buy speaker to line out devices, just have a look on ebay. thats how i originally used mine, the only problem is is that there are limitations to adjustments.

3. Active subwoofer in spare wheel well - just connects to the high-level lines, so the spare connectors on the rear speakers

Fitted one to mine, there's a few options on make

What amp have you ordered? As you say headunit has no low outputs

4. So I am replacing rear speakers today. Are you saying I can connect to the correct terminals in the rear speakers?
    Not ordered one yet but looking at a Vibe Slick OptiSound Auto 8 Active Car Underseat Subwoofer Enclosure.

5. Yep - when you do the rear speakers there is an unused connector on both sides that's for a tweeter in the non-RS models

Cut the connector off - solder on (or crimp) some speaker wire and run it into the boot floor

Then when you get the Opti Auto 8, you just run a power cable from the battery through the rubber behind the glovebox (pain in the ass) and an earth to a bolt on boot floor - job done - they auto-power-on when they see signal through the speakers

6. Now that is some great advice/help. Will this connector just have one cable going into it then?

7. Yup

8. Is this what you done? Is it better to run it off the speakers in the rear?

9. It's what I've done yes. It's just a lot easier than trying to splice into the connector at the back of the headunit

10. Can you splice into the rear speaker wire the same way if I find there is no tweeter cabkes

11. Yeah, but there is trust me

12. I trust you and will see them tonight Sorry for next question. Has each of those tweeter connectors got a positive and negative wire? Asking as getting subwoofer installed in boot at the weekend so tonight I was going to connect some speaker wires to those connectors whilst installing rear speakers tonight and leave the wires trailing to the boot. Means I don't have to remove all the trim again on Saturday. If each connector does have a positive and negative will I need to connect speaker wires to both positive and negative terminals on each of the connectors to run to the sub?

13. Yes each speaker wire is a positive and negative

I just cut the plastic connector off and soldered the wires on then ran them to the boot

14. A
    You were of course right. There was a spare connector clipped into the the inside of the trim Unfortunately the connecter on the original speakers does not fit into the Pioneer speakers I have which I thought they would as are the pioneer ts-q131c ones Bloody pain in the arse connection on the new speaker. Will try and upload photo. Just need to work out which is the positive and which is the negative lol
    One cable is yellow and brown and other is white and brown.

15. Everything wired including my pioneer gm-d1004. Everything works but new subwoofer in boot dies not want to kick into life. Spliced the blue/white remote cable from the amp harness but no luck. Wondering if I have a crap earth in boot. Connected to a bolt on the boot floor but thinking now I should have scraped away some paint first. Would a bad earth stop the sub kicking into life?

16. It would yes.

17. Turns out fuse had blown lol. For the life of me cannot get the remote wire connected up to the head unit. Spliced into wire on amp but sub does not want to kick into life. Tried no end of options including piggy backing of the fuse box but sub just stays permanently on. Getting so fed up I am tempted to get a new head unit but don't want to lose Bluetooth functions. Can I not wire remote from sub to a premanper live like the cigarette lighter but out in an on off switch?

18. Dont forget, the ignition lives are timed to go after locking the car off.

19. Do you mean there is a delay in all power totally shutting off after car is locked and not instant? I did think if I waited five minutes and looked through the tailgate glass i could see if the power light to the sub went off. Is this what you mean? I was so careful choosing right fuse etc that was only a switched on one etc.

20. Yeh thats exactly what i mean, pretty sure the 12v socket it ignition switched aswel.

21. That's great. Will try that later. My cigarette lighter socket works with car off.