250 Oil temp on Motorway

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by K9ANY, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Not had the 250 long, use it everyday for commute motorway and some A roads.

Noticed on motorway steady cruise 80mph Oil temp on RS monitor into the 80-85 range.

Give it some beans and Ive seen it in the mid 90s

Additionally my analouge temp gauge needle sits on the 3rd indicator line from the left when car has warmed up.

Is this all normal ?

Thanks

2. Yeah I'd say it's normal.

Lift the bonnet after a spirited drive and feel how much heat these things produce :eek:

3. unless you have an after market oil temp gauge, what your seeing is coolant temp surely!

Its normal for oil temp to hit mid to high 90s on full throttle. sometimes even 100 on a hot summers day i found.

4. The cars have oil temp gauges as part of the RS monitor, in addition to coolant temps.

5. yeh i know dude.. he's asking why his oil rs monitor temp increases to 90 when his analogue temp shows 3rd stick.

I was referring to the fact if he doesnt have any after market oil temp then that temp on the clocks is coolant.. not oil..

6. Over 100 is common on track, I don't usually back off until over 130 assuming I have fresh high quality oil like Pro S. Didn't I read somewhere the RS monitors oil temp is actually a prediction temp going off coolant, speed, rpm and other parameters? So there's no physical sensor ?

7. ^wtf.... seriously

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Nah there is a sensor for oil temp. I am able to access it via a custom PID through my obd adaptor..

To the OP, those temps are perfectly normal. With good quality oil I wouldnt worry til 130+ tbh.

engine killer likes this.
  9. Thanks for all the replies I'm glad it's normal. I guess with the extra info the monitor provides just gives you more things to be paranoid about. To brisa yeah your right I meant coolant temp gauge.

10. Hi, do you know the pid for read the oil sensor temp? I have a RS 250 without RSmonitor y I wanna check the temps. Wich is the best way?

11. When I look at the wiring/schematics there doesn't appear to be a oil temp sensor - only oil level.

12. Thanks, I need to install an oil temp sensor. Wich is the best place to do it?

13. You will need to fit a "sandwich plate" it fits behind the oil filter, this also has another advantage, it moves the oil filter out from the engine by about 25mm. there are normally 4 ports on a plate so you can also fit a pressure gauge as well as a temp gauge.

Guillermo likes this.
  14. Guillermo likes this.
  15. Thanks you all!! I will try to buy one and make it fit.

16. Mocal also do a nice billet alloy sandwich plate adaptor. I have one fitted with spa dual oil pressure/temp gauge on my f4r kangoo.
    20220709_162801.jpg
    My oil temps are between 80-90deg when cruising on a motorway, which is perfectly acceptable. Ive seen 115deg on track with 30deg ambient temp, which again is not the worst.