Oil catch can?!

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by James275, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Im looking at fitting an oil catch can after some research and the fact it will probably help and stop oil vapours going back through the engine lowering air to combustion and covering the intercooler and turbo blades with oil.

I see ktec do a universal one with some pipes but im thinking of buying a different one with my own silicone pipes.
    Anyone else fitted one?
    Looks like a few on facebook haven't been fitted correctly so thought id ask on here instead!

open to suggestions and thoughts on this, most performance cars have oil catch can packages but the megane doesn't have anything specifically designed for it.

2. Interested in this as well does anyone have a diagram of pics of the induction side to show where the vents are that are taken to the catch can

3. ive done it now mate.

went for a motec one and bought my own pipes from ebay.

4. Do you have any diagrams or pics of what pipes to use to the catch can and what can be ditched/blanked

5. Been looking at these for a while now, doesn't hurt to install one :-) Very interested to see what people have fitted.

6. Matte's battery relocation post has a pic of a catch can fitted and plumbing. For a mk2 but you get the idea of plumbing. The outlet on the intake pipe before the turbo has been blanked and a new hose run from the engine cam cover to the catch tank.

7. i can find a photo for sure.
    Didnt blank any pipes off but i know some people like to blank the intake pipe.
    I used 15mm silicone oil resistant pipes.
    Finding a space for the can is the hardest part.

arch likes this.
  8. Thanks guys if you have some pics James that word be cool. Making space should be pretty eady I have my battery tray and filter box out just now and it looks some enough to rearrange things to allow a catch can and decent filter to be installed

9. As you can see the silicone yellow pipes making there way to the catch can right down the back. Had to fit 90° elbows at the bottom in order to stop the pipe kinking.
    Catch can has double sided tape at the back to stop it knocking on the chassis and then its cable tied to the wiring loom. Zero movement. 53d727df54fd54231a15ee3397d22dbe.jpg 9be7beae3e8fba55d63b780002e21285.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

arch likes this.
  10. Is there only one breather on these engines surely there is a crankcase vent as well. ?
    Are all the round valve type things one way valves ?

Have knocked up a quick diagram from what I can see ref the rocker cover vent assume this is correct and all the pipe work circled in red and be removed and the T-piece at the inlet plenum end removed and the remaining two pipes just joined together.
    What is the valve that I have marked as unknown and where does the feed from the bottom it go to ?
    breather diagram highlighted.jpg

12. also to note in you diagram the catch an take-off is in wrong place

13. Hi Gents.

Know this is a long time ago but I am facing this issue now. Have some pressure in the crankcase I would like to vent and also would like to know if I can remove the metal pipe and just join the remaining two pipes together?

Thanks.

14. On the R26, pipe goes from Cylinder head to air inlet, remove, run pipe from Cylinder head to Catch can inlet, out from catch can to air inlet. I used std. black hose, but a small bit of clear hose, just to see what is happening. Make sure the Catch can you buy, is baffled.

Frans likes this.
  15. Perfect, thank you @oldfella however can anyone explain the user of the metal pipe that also leads to the inlet with a check valve?