Misfire under hard acceleration

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Harry250, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Megane 250 misfiring in cylinder 2 under full acceleration in all gears, been stood still for 5 months due to waiting for parts and the timing was knocked out due to the vvt pulley. The coil and plugs seem fine , and it’s intermittent, any ideas? cheers

2. Any evidence of water in there?

Also, the plugs may seem fine but could have a hair line fracture you can't see. Best to start off with the simplest and easiest potential solution (i.e. plugs) and work your way from there.

3. Just to make sure its not plug/coil - swap #2 plug and coil for say #1 and see if miss fire stays with #2.

manugtt likes this.
  4. Hi mate, I’ve swapped the plugs and coils and it’s still cylinder 2 that’s the issue, there was a tiny bit of water in the plug, before I cleared it out it was a constant misfire, now it’s only under high load

5. Id look at injectors next then

6. Been at it for a couple hours today, changed 1 coil that was on its way out, just a cheap one anyway, replaced with a good one, helped a little bit but it’s still doing it, spark plugs are all fine too so gunna look for other more serious cause’s tomorrow

7. Swap the injectors around, and running it and and recheck it.

8. Oh and make sure you clear any codes before hand.

9. Done all this today, still throws no codes whilst missing , abs sensor is throwing a code though , worried it’s mechanical now

10. So how do you know it cylinder 2 if no codes?

11. It originally Was cylinder 2, but now won’t show any

12. Turns out the gap was wrong! And also cylinder 3 had some liquid in it, gapped the plugs to 0.6mm and cleared out the liquid (smells faintly like fuel) and drives mint now, feel stupid

autronix likes this.
  13. Yeh, the gapping can cause that, we’ve all been there. Leason learnt mate

autronix likes this.