Megane 3RS to the USA possible?

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Testi, Jul 3, 2021.

1. I plan to do my master in Miami next year. Is it possible to import the Megane to the US as a tourist? I heard something about a 12 moth permission as a tourist but I can't find information on it.

Public transport sucks in Miami and I really don't fancy renting a car for $1,500 a month. somebody recommended me to just buy a cheap car but my commutes will be on the highway and I rather drive something stable and safe. Specially when you are surrounded by soccer moms late to their Yoga class on their 3 ton tahoe's swerving in different lanes.

2F9DD54C-3591-45FF-8B59-C039E3B62CDC.jpg 14DAFF53-FC51-41E4-86F7-6F9CD3E7E6E4.jpg

Muxa likes this.
  2. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

probley better off asking on a american forum

3. It will be a lot of hassle.
    You're better off saving and buying a yank motor

4. Imagine all the fault codes with their shit petrol

5. That's a common misconception. Their octane rating system is different to ours, plus they have a wider range of fuels available. Their 91 is the same as our standard 95, and their 93 is our super unleaded 98.

@Testi. I happened to see a video the other day about a guy from Dubai who flies his Lamborghini over to USA and Canada for the summer and does it via some sort of tourist permit. The problem is he gets pulled over every 5 minutes, partly because he has no plates on his car since its imported, and partly because the police who pull him over aren't aware of tourist permits actually existing and how they work.

It's a cool idea but probably not worth the hassle in reality.

manugtt and -Jamie- like this.
  6. Very much possible, a guy on Pistonheads has taken his Corvette over there and listed all the steps/requirements. Will try to find the thread.

7. That would be awesome, but I think that the mk3 megane is not DOT approved but I cant find information on that

8. :neutral::sleepy:

9. I saw those videos, they were pretty funny. I think a youtuber called Shmee did it with his Ford GT.

Probably not worth the hassle but I really would like to do a few track days in homestead raceway or maybe Sebring