Sponsored By:  

Megane 265 Cup - Track Advice

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by Linus27, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Hi everyone,

I have done track days for the last 10 years, starting out in a Lotus Elise S1 and for the last 6 years with a Honda Integra Type R DC5. I'm now thinking of selling the Honda and tracking my Megane 265 Cup. I know all about the ins and outs of the Honda and running a NA engine but I am very new to the Megane and running a turbo car on track. I am also unaware of how good the Megane setup is out of the box and what is good to upgrade for a more track focused car.

The area's I would focus on would be,

Brakes - Discs, pads, line and fluid or even a big brake kit if recommended.
    Tyres - I currently run AD08R's on the Integra so I would be looking at something track focused for the Megane.
    Suspension - Are coilovers recommended or is the stock suspension and springs good enough?
    Handling - Any handling upgrades recommended? My Honda has a Fast Road setup with adjustable camber bolts.
    Cooling - This is a big concern for me being a Turbo car. I imagine upgrading the Intercooler would be a wise move. After that, I am unsure.
    Oil Cooling - Is it recommended?
    Induction - I wasn't going to bother changing this from the stock setup.
    Exhaust - I have the mid pipe delete but the rest I was going to keep as standard.
    Remap - I was going to get this done at some point by RS Tuning in Leeds.

So I am just after some advice from those who track there Megane's on a regular basis who can steer me a little on what route I should take. I do about 6 - 8 track days a year including Spa so my interest is making it reliable by managing the cooling and then improving the basics, brakes, tyres and suspension.

Many thanks for any advice, suggestions or tips.

2. Hi Linus
    Brakes- use Brembo high carbon discs, i use plain but thinking of going back to grooved to try them again.
    a good fluid like RBF660 and front braided lines.

Tyres- now this is going to start a debate, i use Federal 595RSr's and have had great service from them, yes there are better but the price is ...... I used Goodyear Asymmetric 3's in the past for wet tracks but just about to try Asymmetric 5's. I did try AD08rs but didn't like them, same as R888's Ahhhhh.

Suspension- i have BC coilovers on mine, 10kg springs front and rear, very happy with them for the price, there are better ones for £2-3k and i think mine are still good on the road.

Handling- as above with adjustable top mounts and camber shims for the rear.

Cooling- i have not suffered with any temperature issues with mine, i have fitted a Airtec Intercooler the smaller one, as there has been some talk of the bigger one causing heat problems.

Oil cooling - not bothered on mine, but i have now fitted a oil pressure and oil temp gauge to keep an eye on it.

Induction- i have a cone filter.

Exhaust- mid box delete is good, the standard system is good for nearly 400hp so i have been told.

Remap- RStunning :cry::cry::cry:

Hope this helps :laughing::laughing:

Linus27 likes this.
  3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

RST mapping?

4. Should have put "Why" :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

-Jamie- likes this.
  5. Thank you for the reply and info, has been really helpful. With regards to mapping, am I missing something? I got the impression from reading the forum that RS Tuning were the ones to go to. Is this not the case?

6. Not in my experience

Linus27 and -Jamie- like this.
  7. And i forgot to put down about the brake pads, i use carbon lorraine CL8's, they are quite viscous, standard Brembo pads are not good, EBC are to avoid as well.

Linus27 likes this.
  8. Ah ok, good to know, thank you. The other place I read about was KTec but happy to here other suggestions.

As for brake pads, I've always been a fan of Pagid RS29's but I know the Carbon Lorraine CL8's are good as well. A lot of the Honda guys use them.

9. I and a few others on here use EFI now, i'm booked in on the 23rd of March with my 265 and i'm going to be popping into Oulton Park the following day :laughing::laughing:

Ktec run RStuning maps

Linus27 likes this.
  10. I'm also interested in this but more from the reliability point of view. Specifically the following two areas:

1. If I put R888Rs or equivalent sticky rubber on, are there any oil control issues? Or is oil surge well controlled in the stock engine?

2. Does the stock cooling do the job in terms of oil temperature when tracking in standard European summer temperatures? (15-30 degrees air temp).

11. I have never heard of any oil surge issues with either the R26 or 250 etc, there is a splash guard in the sump so i think this helps.

Also i have not had any cooling issues with my 265, i did have a temp gauge in my 225 (that was fitted with a 250 engine) i was running 320hp and i never saw a higher temperature than 107 degress C, all the cooling was standard apart from an Airtec intercooler