Looking to Buy a Megane 265

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Briggxy, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Hi I’m Max, I’m 19 and looking to buy a 2013 Megane 265 soon as though my insurance will now allow it lol. I currently own a 2016 fiesta ST and want something a bit quicker but still fun to drive. What should I look out for? and also, are they worth buying still?

Attached Files:

2. Hello Max, I think I can answer your question pretty well.

I've had 3 different Meganes over the years (2 x 250's and a 275) with various cars inbetween. The latest being a 275 Cup-s which I've had for a few months now after coming out of a 2014 bmw M5 that I had for 3 years. That should answer your question of them being worth buying :smile:

But to add to that, yes they are definetely worth buying still and are the best of the hot hatch bunch for most people at this price point.

Things to look out for would be the usual stuff, panel gaps/paint, even tyre wear across all tyres, knocks from suspension over bumps, espeically front suspension on these. Also make sure you warm it up well and rev it out fully through a couple of gears when driving, as misfires seem to be fairly common and can be lots of things such as fuel pump, injectors, coils, spark plugs.

Cambelt servicing is also important, so ideally you want that to have been done fairly recently, otherwise its a £500-£600 job for a full kit including auxbelt/waterpump.

Common faults on these are various front suspension joints failing, thermostats failing (easy fix though). But generally reliable cars.

Also just to mention, the one in your picture does not have a cup chassis from what I can see, so dont buy that one.
    The MUST HAVE on these is the CUP chassis. This gives you various bits but mainly an LSD in the gearbox which is what really sets that car apart from most. This is usually noted by having red calipers as a visual, but obviously people can paint calipers, so just make sure whatever you buy has the cup chassis.

I've driven a Fiesta ST and the megane basically feels like a bigger, more powerful and grippier version of that and still retains the "go-kart" sharp cornering and adjustability.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

3. Thanks for the reply man appreciate it, they sound like such great cars. The thing that I needed the most coming from my fez is the fun factor. The only car I have ever driven that came close to how much fun my current car is, was a BMW M2 comp which is a total different animal. Definitely going to go and take one for a test drive when a good cup chassis one pops up 100%.

4. No worries. If you can test drive a well sorted Megane that has been cared for, I'm sure you will be putting money down. BTW, 250, 265 and 275 with cup chassis are all basically the same to a degree, so buy on condition, not on spec ideally! A well cared for and maintained 250 will be much better than a newer 265 with a ropey history for example.

5. Thanks for the help! I will definitely be searching around to find that perfect one. I’d ideally like a facelift one with the better screen and stuff.

6. I’ve got a 275 trophy for sale on eBay with everything done.

7. White one? Looks lovely!

8. It is yeah. Thanks, it’s a really nice car.

9. Just put my 265 CUP for sale on this forum. Extensive mods and maintenance throughout the 3 years i’ve owned it. Have a look, any questions just give me a shout