175 DCI Looking for SMF and Upgrade Clutch

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by CJ_RSport, Sep 28, 2017.

1. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Afternoon gents

Im looking for an smf and upgrade clutch for the dci 175 any ideas where to start. CG are having a look into it for me but wanting to know if anyone had done the conversion and if so how

2. Hi CJ,
    Did you get sorted with your clutch?
    What route did you use as i will need to do mine soon and not sure best route to take:
    - Standard clutch with std DMflywheel?
    - SMF with uprated clutch?
    or a mix DMF with uprated?

3. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Hey tof73
    Apologies for the delay I did.

I got a custom paddle friction plate made to go with a Valeo SMF Kit.

GF4Xbk5.jpg

SsVhMW5.jpg

14lR7WC.jpg

lbNGkDf.jpg

Been in since August and solid as a rock

4. To be fair the smf is a straight swap and wish i knew that when i changed mine DMF and clutch in February last year:disappointed:, you can take it straight from a Traffic/vivaro, same engine. maybe when my engine give the ghost i'll do that,

Where did you get that paddle clutch done?

How the refinement of the engine like vibration and drive-ability for every day use, is the clutch heavier?

5. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Valeo only listed a SMF kit for the m9r variant of the Megane around January 2018 in the UK as I've been looking for quite a while. And it's a 250mm.

Agreed the vivaro/traffic is the same engine block and head, but different turbo and ecu setup and only a 240mm clutch from what I remember from my research.

I'd have to dig the invoice out. I maybe supplying a friction plate for the Valeo SMF kit for a reasonable price group buy. I already have a few people interested. So will keep you posted regarding that.

And Clutch is no heavier than stock in my opinion. There's no additional noise like most paddle and SMF found on other types of diesel engine. It is quite aggressive on the bite but no additional pressure required to press it down.
    Vibration feels better than the DMF to me but that DMF was shot.

Let's put it this way. It's been abused for a good few thousand miles now and no issues. Feels great under the peddle when you adjust to the higher biting point. Can't fault it one bit. I'm still running balancing shafts for now too.