Knock braking / accelerating

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Rob26, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Hello,

sorry cannot figure out how to post in the right area.

cannot get to the bottom of this

I have an r26 that has developed a knock, happens a little on the left but on the right it can be very loud and feels like something scudding under the right arch.

happens once each way accelerating once then braking once , won’t do same way twice. Sometimes it’ll bang multiple times when braking hard the one time. 3 quick bangs.

oem pads and discs
    New pins
    Callipers 175nm
    New driveshaft
    New driveshaft and bearing holder
    New dampers . Springs all good ( eibach pros or something )
    New tie rods and tre’s and tracked ( tracking still feels off )
    Ball joints and wishbone bushes just done with new anti twist links

everything tightened very well including rack bolts

has a solid dogbone , new gearbox mount and engine mount also has polyurethane insert

gearbox was recently replaced and noise quietened for a few days

tightened everything underneath abd cannot figure it out

2. Steering rack bush maybe.

3. Anti rotation links, drop links.

4. read that yeah, it didn’t seem to move when I done the tie rods the other week but looked shit

5. Done and done

6. How about the anti-roll bar itself - it’s mountings? It sounds like the knock occurs on weight transfer - braking and accelerating. Wondering whether it’s worth slackening off the lower arm bush nuts when it’s on the ground, then retightening to torque.

Rob26 likes this.
  7. https://filebin.net/yyxg27y4bed8ess8

Link to noise in reverse then braking

it’s sometimes quiet dull but can be pinging and high pitched and really loud, or can be very quiet

8. Checked the arb and stuff and seems fine

interestingly the wishbones were torqued on the axel stands with wheels hanging... is that a mistake , I’ve seen other posts also saying they need to be torqued at angle

9. You checked the subframe mounting bolts?

10. Yeah think there’s 6

11. There are 6, have you checked those?

12. renaultech told me the wishbone bolts really need to be done up well.My R26 had a random clank that seens to have disapeared after he went round the cars suspension etc etc..making sure everything was tight..said only thing that wasnt 100% was the wishbone fixing nuts..

13. Hi everyone so... loosened the wishbones and tightened with the 3/4” bar which the wheels on the 4poster

no change to the noise
    Also tried a larger bolt in the hole to fill the rear wishbone bush hole
    No change
    Took out cleaned and greased the rack bolts and no change

would the swivel bearings if they had went again cause a loud snapping noise ?