Jamesy's 225 Inferno thread

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Jamesycc, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Hi all. Been lurking around for about a month now, genning up on meg's.

Previously owned an Iceberg 172 for 6 weeks. This was my first taste of RS cars. Wrote that off sadly so replaced it with a 172 Cup and had that nearly 3 years.

Been watching Megane 225's for about a year without committing to anything as I knew I was out growing the Clio. Its a second car so needs to be slightly practical and 3 of my kids are in childseats still.

Stuck a thread up on cliosport.net which I've been on for years about attainable megs for 2k with less than 100k on the clock.

Well a member got in touch as he was selling his Inferno as he bought it for the engine to go in his LY Clio 200 but it was too good to break. He's since sold the LY200 and got himself a 200 with the conversion done already.

So onto the meg. Got the car 3 weeks ago. 3 hour drive home got me acquainted. Drives very well. Solid no rattles, bangs or squeaks. Nice change coming from a lowered Clio that was all noise and bounce. First car I've owned with cruise control, loved that.

Few little things. Running cool so got a new thermostat to go in. Done an oil change and filter.

The intermittent setting on the wipers doesn't work and the headlight beam is a tad low. Other than that its a great drive. Loving the boost and effortless torque and the gearshift is little more refined than the Clio but that isn't saying much..

225 Inferno (lux I think ?)
    93k on the clock.
    Paid £1900.
    The price reflects the fact I've taken a slight punt. Reason being is the cambelt, swivel joints, ball joints and service work were done by the previous owner as he was a mechanic so no proof.

Listed mods are.
    Stage 1 remap.
    Induction kit.
    Forge recirc.
    Dump valve.
    Forge blanking plate.
    Scorpion decat and exhaust.
    Stainless down pipe.
    Facelift bumpers.
    The wheels are the only question mark. Zeba collection 18", cant find any info on them at all. They're a bit marmite and in time I'll source some r26 alloys but no cash for that at the moment.

Anyway here's some pics. Feedback/info welcome.
    WP_20170306_11_28_48_Pro.jpg WP_20170306_11_29_06_Pro.jpg WP_20170306_11_29_36_Pro.jpg WP_20170306_11_28_38_Pro.jpg WP_20170311_18_35_30_Pro.jpg C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_image(14).jpeg C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_image(13).jpeg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Paul21 and Big Uno like this.
  2. Heya mate, car looks great. About the intermittent wiper setting not working, it may have the auto wipers option in which case the first setting on the stalk which would be intermittent normally, will be the auto setting. They should come on when the sensor, which is behind the rear view mirror, senses rain.

Jamesycc likes this.
  3. That makes sense. The auto light function is switched off, the dash keeps telling me are they connected in anyway?? Cheers for the feedback:smiley:

4. Cracking buy for the money mate. As you say, R26 wheels will be better. Never saw a front bumper like that. Looks like top half along with headlights is Phase 2 and the bottom half is Phase 1?

Jamesycc likes this.
  5. It is a half n half job. Previous owner, 2 owners ago must of done it himself. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole cars had a paint refresh as there isn't a mark on it for its age. Other than the non sport grill it takes a spotter to notice it:wink:.

For the money I paid its alot of car, well chuffed tbh:smiley:

6. Ps, nice r26, UR is a great colour.

7. Cheers James I love it :wink: Looks a really one mate :smile:

8. Gave the Meg a wash, de-tar, rewash and polish with some Auto Glym polish this morning. Also got a few pics taken on the bridge camera which came out ok..last 3 images DSC03575.JPG DSC03573.JPG DSC03580.JPG DSC03567.JPG DSC03561.JPG

Attached Files:

Big Uno likes this.
  9. Small update.

Planned to change gearbox mount, lower torque mount(dog bone) and do a short shift mod today.

Well started with a wash as it was overdue.

The lower torque mount or dog bone by another name was a piece of piss to do.
    Next was the gearbox mount.. The main nut was a bit loose and far too easy to undo. The reason for the new mount was to see if it eliminated the tick over vibration, I suspected the dmf was on the way out.
    Well I couldn't for love nor money get the two mount nuts off, they must have tightened by hercules himself. Will need an impact gun to loosen those bad boys off.
    The retightening of the main nut seems to have helped as on the test drive for the short shift mod the vibration didn't seem as noticeable but it was only a short drive.

That's leads me onto the short shift mod which on a phase one is pretty straightforward. Essentially move the locating ballstud 20mm closer to the main rotation point.
    This combined with a shorter gear knob, Richbrook top gear, has completely transformed the gear change. It's shortened the throw massively and has made engagement much more positive.
    Easily the best £1.25 spent on any car.

It really has transformed the way the car drives.

Next on the list is an underseat sub and an aftermarket wheel with a cruise control bracket as I'll be loosing the airbag.

That's it, no pics as I was too engrossed and on the clock as the missus is off out tonight.

Cheers for reading james

RMDavis likes this.
  10. Thats a gorgus colour car.especially after the detailing.

11. Thanks mate.

12. That paintwork looks immaculate. I want that bumper and agree with you about the wheels

Jamesycc likes this.
  13. Cheers.
    The wheels have grown on me and tbh if I replace them I really want a set of speedline turinis but they're bucks.
    The bumper was obviously fabricated out of two and sadly up close there a few cracks developing since I bought it in February.
    Caused in part I think by the lower part coming loose from its mounting points which has now been rectified.

14. Gave the old girl a wash and hoover out today.

Fitted my new used under seat sub for added bass yol...

Fitted my new cliosport.net window sticker for extra scene points and at least 2 bhp:-)

15. Oh and replaced the missing gel cover on the windscreen sensor which now means my intermittent wiper function is working again.

16. Shame that some cracks have appeared as looks awesome. What under seat sub have you gone for?

Jamesycc likes this.
  17. Got it off a cliosport.net member. Alpine swe 1000. It's a bit old but was good in its day. I'm pleased with it. Paid £40 so no complaints!

18. Looking for one myself as I don't really fancy having one in my boot, have seen a few around but not sure what to get. Vibe do one which looks like it could be good. Nice bit of bass then?

19. Yeah, gotta have some bass.
    My clio cup I had a jbl amp and sub in the boot but that was half the boot gone!
    Thought I could manage without but no, lasted 6 months before I had to sort something.
    I didn't want anything that huge again so the underseat was the best compromise.
    I was looking at the vibe one but thought I'd chuck a wanted thread on cliosport.net first which came up trumps. I guy from Bristol was selling his to go bigger.

You on cliosport.net? It's a much busier forum with more bargains to be found. It's worth paying the £12 yearly sub to access the for sale and wanted sections. Plus you get a sub pack with goodies worth more than £12 anyways.

There was a Kenwood one too for the same sort of price. The newer version of my Alpine swe 1200 which I think is a bit slimmer. It's a good system adds more depth without taking up too much space.

20. I'm not on there no. I'll have to check it out and possibly sign up. That's the problem have a sub and your boot is pretty much non existent or have a boot but no bass. Underseat are the best option. Not massive bass but still decent

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Jamesycc likes this.
  21. How have you found the richbrook gearknob jamesy, does the lift reverse still work easily and have you got any pics of it fitted as I was looking at these too.

22. It's nice. I like round knobs! Oooh Er missus!!
    I'll grab a pic in a bit. The only thing is the instructions tells you to use one collar and you need the one it tells you not to use otherwise the lift up collar can't lift enough if that makes sense.
    I filed down the two tabs on the lift up collar as the catch at the base of the knob, jeez it's inuuendo bingo writing this:-D
    I'll get a few pics showing how i fitted it.

23. Hopefully you can open these.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

24. Sorry about the glare it's almost impossible to get a pic without..

25. You can't talk about knobs without innuendo lol

Like the look of that tbf though

Jamesycc likes this.
  26. Fitted this yesterday.

Omp trecento uno suede 300mm wheel. Used a simoni boss kit. Custom cc button bracket. Custom horn button. _20170922_122432.JPG

Mikey4410, Big Uno, Paul21 and 2 others like this.
  27. Gave her a wash and a long overdue winter wax.

Buffed the shit out of the wax as it was a little cold outside so took a while to warm it up.

Used collinite 895 as it's really oily and worked a treat last winter on the old Clio 172 Cup.

Gave the tyres a dressing too as they had discoloured a bit.

Results.

_20171209_131346.JPG

Big Uno likes this.
  28. _20171209_133206.JPG

Big Uno likes this.
  29. Added 5 bhp today by applying my new sticker.
    _20180102_172008.JPG

Big Uno and idontknow like this.
  30. Sorted the weak windscreen washer jets and cleaned the shift actuator assembly as Im getting a sticky shift.

Washer bottle is a bumper off job but not too bad apart from all the plastic clips either snapping or not budging at all.
    Turned out it was the pump. So just swapped the headlight washer pump as they're not connected up and voila have a proper jet of water coming out now. Saves me buying a new pump for now.

The actuator arm just needed a good clean and some light filing. Cleaned and resumed the nylon bush it slots in as it was pretty manky.

Just need to try it for a drive to see if it's made any difference.

31. Clutch, Dmf and slave replaced today.

Gear selector next.

Big Uno and Ian Hughes like this.
  32. So got home last night and the selector was terrible.

Barely change gear.

Despite the fact it was dark and 20:30 Id had enough and decided to do something about it.

Thankfully it only takes minutes to get access to the selector. So quick ream out as the nylon bush was really swollen and full of dirt.

Quick file of the rod too for good measure and all is better.

Then discovered one of the earth connectors had snapped off whilst I was getting access so another 10 mins of faffing to sort that.

Also got a new gearbox mount on too.

Just the passenger side window motor to replace next..

The little jobs never end!

33. So got home last night and the selector was terrible.

Barely change gear.

Despite the fact it was dark and 20:30 Id had enough and decided to do something about it.

Thankfully it only takes minutes to get access to the selector. So quick ream out as the nylon bush was really swollen and full of dirt.

Quick file of the rod too for good measure and all is better.

Then discovered one of the earth connectors had snapped off whilst I was getting access so another 10 mins of faffing to sort that.

Also got a new gearbox mount on too.

Just the passenger side window motor to replace next..

The little jobs never end!

Big Uno likes this.
  34. Fixed the exhaust.

Noticed it was sagging in the middle pointing the tips skywards.

Middle mount is dead so did what any good home mechanic does..... Got some zip ties out:-)!

Quick fix obviously

Big Uno likes this.
  35. So finally got my new r26 alloys on.

Been wanting some for over a year now but funds have been swallowed up by a major house project.

We'll needed new tyres and found someone selling some quality tyres on some slightly marked alloys.

Refurbed and shiny new wheel bolts and voilà.

_20180603_203544.JPG

36. lovely looking inferno james, saw this today while at work , usually at filton but gave your mob a visit , lush motor m8.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

37. Cheers, though it does sound a little stalker - ish...

Didn't know there was any other rsmegane members in the Bristol area.

38. Haha you should be so lucky :-) , i go on meganesport.net off FB and a guy called Matt said you were on here, used to be on here alot but went too quiet for me, now hunting you down in work that wudda been stalking, next time i pop down i will bring the R26 (now you know there is one ) instead of the van , anyway lovely car if u ever sell it gimme a shout :-)
    MidnightStalker mike

matt e likes this.
  39. Cheers, will give you first dibs although not planning on moving her on yet.

Started on meganesport.net but found it to be quieter than this place and the website is shockingly bad to use..

Be good to see another 225 although bizarrely passed a five door inferno in Pilning on the way home. Only the third 225 I've seen driving around Bristol.

My last spot as a mint liquid yellow r26 last tear. Love that colour.

40. 20170304_133441.jpg Keep a look out, no stalking tho or i will tell my wife where you work lol

Jamesycc likes this.