Is a lack of flexi joint ok on a CGR titanium exhaust?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by andrewjeffs, Mar 11, 2020.

1. I have a titanium cgr system on my R26.
    Where the flexi pipe was on the original,this has been replaced by a short solid pipe on the cgr system.
    I am sure this has been thought out,but it seems strange it doesnt need one.

I am asking as twice the bolts for this pipe to the center section, have undone themselves,which i am sure is what snapped my center section exhaust hanger.
    Not a easy thing to sort out when its titanium.

This time i have removed the 2 springs that i assume,supposedly keep tension of the bolts to stop them undoing,but seem to have the opposite effect.

Possible not the right thing to do,as i thought the springs might allow a small degree of flex...but cant see how on a sealed exhaust section.

2. Hi Andrew
    The Part that the spring loaded bolts are supporting is a ball sort of fitting, that's how things were made years ago Mk1 Fiesta etc over tightening them will stop them moving and put stress on the other parts.
    You would be better off just fitting locking nuts to stop them undoing.

Also your engine mounts might be a bit old and gone soft.

3. Hi not had any issues with my cgr ti exhaust on my r26r IMG_1002.png
    Check your engine mounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. yeah.. i have lockers on there now,but the bolts that came with it where far to long,and the ones i replaced them with,just a touch short to get the springs on!...And yes i suspect the lower mount is weak as well..its original.
    Will have to take it apart again,and get slightly longer bolts.

5. do you have the spring loaded bolts on the short pipe to center section?
    is it me,or is my short section,a different angle to yours?It looks like mine has a extra weld in it...my system came from a R26R as well.

6. They don't need to be creamed up, that's the point, tight enough to make a seal and lose enough to allow movement.

Or you can cut down the longer bolts :laughing:

If the lower mount is weak, get a yellow powerflex insert, worked a treat on mine and wasn't hard on the transmission

7. i couldnt get the nuts on with the springs on my bolts.They were just standard bolts that came with it.
    I suspect they were not the originals,as this system was fitted to another car,and they just threw it some standard bolts instead.

8. how hard to change the lower mount?

9. It's easy, two bolts, 22mm heads i think, need to jack it up though, sure you can leave the under tray on as well :laughing::laughing:
    Might have to loosen the top one to let the engine move back a little more to get it out.

10. Lower mount removal
    One 18mm bolt two 16mm support bolts bracket and one 21mm bolt take longer to Jack the car up
    Still use springs 100mm bolts exhaust oval flange nuts no issues

11. My short piece of pipe dose look different to yours less angle

12. hmmm..my system was one of the first,originally fitted to chris bowens R26R.You would think it would be identical??

13. You've done a few miles in yours haven't you, so can't be that bad a design, apart from someone over tightening the spring bolts :laughing::laughing:

14. Minds about 3 years old And mostly track day used and abused

15. doubt if its done 500 miles on my car.It rattled from the start of it being put on,but didnt seem to be blowing.
    every excuse from the guy that fitted it why i couldnt bring it in to get it on the ramp.
    So had to get under the car myself,and noticed the hanger snapped..sorted that,but it still rattled.
    Then noticed the spring bolts had completely undone themselves,hence my fkn around with it.

I hope the donut is in place,i didnt check that.
    But i will be putting the springs back in with different bolts on the weekend.

Will see if the lower mount is perished while under there...again!

16. Bloody hell you need to get out and drive it :laughing::laughing: 500 miles :openmouth: he obviously knew there was a problem with it when he fitted it.

The donut should be okay, they used to be a ball and socket, steel on steel, but it looks like there is a sealing ring on the end of the pipe, as long as that is in reasonable conditional and not been damaged by over tightening the springs, best get some bolts in there and then work out how long the bolts need too be and cut the excess off.
    Tighten the springs about 30% of the free movement, that should be enough tension.

The lower mount might look okay but if the rubber has gone soft it will move too much, it would be worth changing it anyway due to its age.

17. hes a twat like that..he will only do the bare minimum,and wont tell me if anythings wrong or anything else needs doing,incase i get him to do that as well!
    If he wasnt a renault tech,i would have told him to run and jump years ago!

JJZ likes this.
  18. Doesn't sound like hes worth dealing with anyway, find an independent and get a better service.

I have a guy up the road from me, there very good, reasonably priced to boot.
    They fit me in pretty quick as well if i need something doing urgently and are always straight with me.