250 Intermittent power loss/engine cut/(missfire?)

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by CaptainHavok, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Hi! Bought my 250 2 weeks ago and i am struggeling with a problem. (didnt notice until after bought).

The problem occurs in mostly any rev range and it feels like the engine cuts out no matter what i do to the go pedal. (the cut out is hard enough to make you lunge slightly forward and feel the seat belt lock)

Lasts about half a second and then everything is smooth sailing again. Pulls hard in every gear etc.

Since it pulls hard on load i have mostly eliminated any fuel pump issues.. Might be a dirty injector though.

Does the rs 250 suffer from the same problems as earlier meganes regarding the brake light switch? I had mine out for a clean and refitted but problems percisted.

Im a bit perplexed since it's not throwing any codes.

Going to the renault dealer for a read of historical codes but im worried it won't show any.

Any tips are apreciated.

(car has been mapped if this makes a difference)

Thx.

2. Mine did something similar. New spark plugs sorted it.

3. Thanks DoubleD. Did you get any error codes before you swapped for new ones? And did you change ignition coils at the same time?

4. Nope no fault codes. And it was just the plugs.

5. Although a long shot, have you tried turning the traction control off and seeing if it still does it?

6. Thanks DoubleD. Ordering new plugs today to test. As far as i know it hasn't been done on the car yet so it can't really hurt even if it doesn't solve my issue.

I haven't tried esc of yet crowdie. It does do it in sport mode though. I'll try going esc of for a while.

I've been logging data on torque for a few days, however since I started logging the car hasn't acted up even once. Will keep the thread updated if I learn anything new.

7. Pav

Pav

funny mine has developed this too..nice suggestion with the ESC off..did try that today before reading this and it seemed to help..any idea why??had a traction light flashing at me a few times before turning it off..what causes it??
    feels like you loose a bit of power for a fraction of a second and regain it fast but its really unpleasant..whats the fix for this guys pls??

Leigh likes this.
  8. Traction light flashes when the system is doing something.

9. http://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21585&start=15

Post 8 from the top i belive might be of help for you. Getting it to a dealer and scanning it should give you an answer.
    (throttle pedal stuck or something like that)

I tried cleaning and refitting mine however to no avail. (mine was of a different design so not sure if megane rs's suffer from the same fault).

I'm having my car go to the dealers when they find a slot for it. Pricey but i figure its better to get it scanned before i go all gung ho with parts.

Pav likes this.
  10. Will keep this thread posted after i've gone through dealer diagnostics.

In the mean time i managed to log the fault twice with torque. If anyone sees something out of the norm please advice.

Both times seems to be as i slightly close the throttle, however that might just be a coincidence.

Made a vertical line to mark the spot of the cut out/stall/missfire/hardcore engine braking. Not even sure what to call it.

Attached Files:

11. My e90 bmw did this.

Traction control light flashing and complete loss of power whilst on the motorway! Quite scary!

Turns out that the car thought I was wheelspinning whilst doing 70 in the middle lane!

Was just the abs rings (reluctor rings) on the drive shafts. They go rusty and throw the abs/traction control system in to a wobbler.

I've had the problem on other cars but it just triggered the abs to kick in occasionally on those, not the loss of power. Still makes your heart skip a beat though.

So far I've had to replace them on my '03 clio, my old '04 r53 mini (although it was the wheel bearing that collapsed on this, causing a similar issue) and my '06 3 series BMW.
    2f54d6fd8d4f5ae26ece9856b43aac22.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Pav likes this.
  12. Pav

Pav

13. Thx for the tip pav!

Managed to log my lambdas as it happened today, seems strange they kind of point in opposite directions.

Not sure what to make of it. Maybe spark related missfire, unburnt fuel ignited by catalyst to give rich readings post cat? Strange thing is i had no missfire codes when i went to renault. Did have a fault code for inlet temprature sensor and brake sensor though.

Also upon inspecting my spark plugs there was pressure between a plug and the ignition coil. Made a pop and fizz sound as in opening a soda can. Not sure how the pressure got there, moisture maybe?

Attached Files:

14. Also attatching image of o2 voltage on idle after it happened. Post cat seems a bit low? Read around .4-.5 at start of journey. Car ran fine for 2-3 minutes before taking the screenshot.

Attached Files:

15. Id change that switch and that sensor, there cheap enough.

16. Right you are. Still waiting for my plugs and coils. Come salary day im ordering both though just in case

17. How did this pan out ?

18. Sorry for a late reply! I still have not found the cause of the problem. Took it to the stealers again and they basically told me they can't do anything.

Looked for boost leaks, however not with a tester. Changed sparkplugs/coils, intake temp sensor (fault code stored), and brake sensor (based on similar symptoms). Still cuts out on me from time to time. I Think it's boost cut, or a torque limiter.

Did have a new fault code after car went into limp mode, think it was p2640 - torque circuit high or something like that (was definatley something with high torque). Car is unmapped i think (max boost on rs monitor 1150psi with small peaks of 1200). Seller told me it was mapped but numbers suggest otherwise, i should double check with a torque or something though.

Really gutted, love the car to bits but this is having me beat.. :/