Evening all, new member, new Megane RS250 owner

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by davejh, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Hi all,

Never having owned a Renault I took the plunge today and purchased this:

https://www.a1autocare.net/used-renault-megane-st.-neots-cambridgeshire-2330599

Will pick her up next Friday or Saturday. Local garage to me, only 5 miles down the road. I will be honest, always been a fast Ford fan, but unfortunately for me I wrote off my 2010 Focus ST last Monday so wanted something in the same performance bracket but a little different.

Dealer has been great, quite a lot of service history on the vehicle and the previous owner had told him that the cambelt had been changed but the dealer can't prove this, so he is going to do cambelt, water pump, new front pads and discs, service and MOT before I pick it up.

I don't mod my cars much, but if anyone has anything I think I should do please let me know.

Thanks, Dave.

Davyy likes this.
  2. Hi Dave and welcome
    Nice car, looks very tidy

you won't regret your decision if you thought a Ford ST was good :laughing::laughing:

3. Welcome and enjoy when you pick it up.
    Only necessary mod in my opinion is removing the Megane lettering off the back.

4. Hi,

Nice Stealth Colour combo. Seats look really good condition for the miles.

I don't think I have ever bought a car so close. 250 miles to get mine.

Welcome & enjoy.

5. Thanks guys.

Usually my motors come from quite a distance. Focus was about a 350 mile round trip. Car before that was about the same.

Anything I should be aware of on these? What I mean by that is the Focus common fault was eating it's driveshafts, does the Megane have any common faults?

6. Hub swivel joints and track control joint, thermostat is another thing that gives a problem now and again.
    Can't think of much else atm

7. Yes lower front swivels (not top ones) other front ‘clonks’ over rough road would be anti swivel rod or drop links all relatively easy fixes. Thermostat if notice erratic gauge (easy fix)

8. I personally would ask dealer to skip cambelt change knock £500 of asking price and get done yourself at indy reno garage

For cost reason they unlikley change dephaser pulley which is super important at same time cambelt

that way you’ll know for sure regardless what’s gone before

9. Thanks for all the info guys.

Just googled that dephaser pulley. Never heard of one before. I know I won't get anymore off the car, I have already knocked them down by £1000 and got that lot in with it. They are a decent garage though, some really nice motors in there (Aston's M3's etc) so know their stuff.

I emailed him this morning and basically asked if he would change it at the same time if I gave him a few quid and he said it wouldn't be a problem, they already had it down to check on Monday.

10. Welcome and the RS250 looks nice. You’ll love it.
    As a relatively new 250 owner myself I’d recommend a mid silencer chop for a straight pipe. Makes a nice but subtle difference to the exhaust note for £45!

11. Thanks. Yeah was thinking about the mid section. I see quite a lot change the cat but to be honest I dont want to mess about every MOT to get the car through.

Do you mind me asking where you got your mid section from, have seen some on ebay that seem okay.

12. Of course mate,

I got it from eBay.

I don’t have a link but here’s a picture of the one I bought.
    B245BFCE-11D9-4F86-B382-6741B26B1617.png

13. Literally ordered the same one first thing this morning.

Did you fit it yourself? I posted in the exhaust section about what to use to cut the old exhaust off, was thinking of getting an exhaust pipe cutter but not sure if there is enough room under the car to use them? I have an angle grinder but didn't really want to use that under the car.

14. I’m having a silencer fitted in a week or so, so will have a pipe for sale.

15. Yeah fitted it myself. Used a friends garage and stuck the car on the ramps. Made it much easier. I used an exhaust cutter and cut through the pipe effortlessly and enough room to use it. I had intended one using a grinder but the disc I had was too big.