250 BTCC 265/40 18r Slicks

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Jordan Moyle, May 8, 2021.

1. I know several threads touch on it, but is anyone actually running the latest BTCC slicks on their Megane with good results? If so, on what wheels and what set up? Thanks in advance

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

They are massive tyres so may struggle to get them under Megane arches

3. 265 section tyre ... ... on a megane ... ... outrageous, impossible, illegal, should be locked up

Stock265cup likes this.
  4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

People have ran 265s on them before, but the btcc slicks are next level sizing in comparison to them

bobsan likes this.
  5. Bet car looks insanely good that width tyre of course I’d love some if could get em to fit and regular supply

6. Managed to find some 245s which should be ideal, £220 posted, and used once :grimacing:. But think I'm going to need a 9 inch rim, fat chance of finding any atm! Everywhere is sold out. Unless you go far North of £1200

7. Looks like your in luck, someone’s got a set for sale in the classifieds

8. They're 19 inch and 8.5s, cheers for getting my hopes up :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: I need 18x9s :cry:

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Much better fit for them, quite a lot of guys used to run them when they were 245s

10. I'm on the market for second pair of wheels that will fit slicks for track days, but I'm having hard time deciding what will fit Megane MK2.

265 used slicks from BTCC would be ideal as they are widely available, but I didn't see anyone running them on MK2.
    Did anyone managed to fit them?

I'm also looking at the ex clio cup slicks with 17" wheels on Megane MK2. Does anyone run those, are they any good on Megane or any reason why not to go for 17"?

I spoke with a few guys at track days and they said that max you can fit on MK2 is 250 640 18 slicks with 8.5Jx18" 5x108 ET50 or ET55 wheels.

Others recommended slicks 245 (or 250) 640 18 will work with 10mm spacers on front with Team Dynamics 1.2 8Jx18" 5x108 ET45, which correlates with the above.

Any advice on what slick sizes and wheels you've tried on MK2 would be great!

11. Don't put spacers on with et45, it won't give you et55 it will make it et35

When you say spoke to some guys at a trackday was it Tuesday at Thruxton ????

repa likes this.
  12. Heey Ian! Yes it was, thanks for the correction with spacers, as you can see I'm still learning :smile: and thanks for the tips

13. For benefit of others and as per Ian's recommendation, I've ended up buying 4x used Jaguar XE 2017 rear wheels 8.5Jx18" 5x108 ET55 (Part number GX73-1007-GA) with 250/640/18 slicks (Michelin in this case).
    Others mentioned that they're running smaller 235/645/18 or 245/645/18 slicks that also fit.

In terms of the max slicks that will fit being 250/640/18, I got these measurements:
    Bead to bead 250
    Tread width of 237mm
    Tyre width of 267mm
    Overall tyre height of 640mm

These will ideally fit 18" wheels with:
    8.5j minimum (Ian is running these without issues and I got the same)
    9j optimal
    10j maximum

Hope someone finds this info useful in future!

14. ADDED INFO
    Not sure why I can't edit previous comment.

For benefit of others and as per Ian's recommendation, I've ended up buying 4x used Jaguar XE 2017 rear wheels 8.5Jx18" 5x108 ET55 (Part number GX73-1007-GA) with 250/640/18 slicks (Michelin in this case).
    Others mentioned that they're running smaller 235/645/18 or 245/645/18 slicks that also fit.

In terms of the max slicks that will fit being 250/640/18, I got these measurements:
    Bead to bead 250
    Tread width of 237mm
    Tyre width of 267mm
    Overall tyre height of 640mm

These will ideally fit 18" wheels with:
    8.5j minimum (Ian is running these without issues and I got the same)
    9j optimal
    10j maximum

The Jaguar 8.5Jx18" 5x108 ET55 wheels don't use tapared bolts and you will need to use longer bolts than stock. The centre bore is also slightly bigger at 63.4mm vs 60.1mm on the Megane RS225/R26 MK2. You can get metal spigot rings, but they shouldn't be needed, if you get a stud conversion done as they will align the wheel.

You will need the longer studs e.g. 83mm, from like of Puremotorsport and flat nuts purhcased separatelly or get a Jaguar bolts and drill them through and then tap out to M14 (as per Ian's advice).

https://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/m...ew-in-m14-stud-conversion-kit-with-steel-nuts

Hope someone finds this info useful in future!

15. Ask away Mate
    I'm still learning and i have a good few years on you as well :laughing::laughing:

16. You can't edit a massage after 15minutes

17. I think you will struggle to find 9j wheels with a good offset, i have never seen any, would try some if i could find some (at a decent price) i know i can have some made but at a price.

18. That's it, for the price of second hand Jaguar wheels that will do the job, they are a steal!
    So far I got 2 for £140 with minor scratches on ebay.