250 Broken gearbox mount rear bolt

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by glenn, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Has this happened to any1 else? ? Twice now and only got 20k on clock with no track day use..ps new to the forum so hi guys

2. As soon as I get my car back from my local garage I will take a pic to give you more to go on.

3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Mine done it the other week, 32k miles, Extensive track day use with Semi slicks and loads of kerbs though

4. Have you had the updated part fitted? Pics when you have them please.

5. The mrs's dci used to snap all the bolts. It was caused by them vibrating loose. A dab of threadlock soon sorted it

6. Thanks for the replys will post the pics hopefully on monday

7. What were the symptoms? I noticed mine has a bit of a clunk when I change gear, only noticeable when the windows are down

8. Ye bit clunk, getting 1st gear was sometimes a 3 attempt job and when engaging 1st I could feel a slight movement. Just hope it gets sorted without breaking the bank

9. ahuda9aj.jpg

10. uploadfromtaptalk1394464315923.jpg

11. Two pics of the twice broken part both times it has been the screw bolt shown which has snapped. The mechanic cant understand why there is 2 decent size bolts at the front and 1thinner at the back! Says it will definitely happen again...

12. Surely if your car is chewing through gearbox mounts wouldnt it point to perhaps some of the other mounts being worn too, and thats why extra stress is being put on this weaker bolt causing it to fail repeatedly?

Sure I understand that the design may be a contributing factor but something else cannot be right here either.

13. Dont know m8 where I took it said everything else was good and the mechanic is a family friend so trust him, ive got it booked in for a major service at diamond motorsport next tues and mick knows whats happened so he's going to have a further inspection for me

14. Must be engine mounts that have gone, a lot of movement

15. Can anyone arrow this bolt from an under bonnet shot or can it only be checked from the underside ?

16. Underside only I think m8 unless you remove all the battery

17. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Remove the air box and you should be able to see it, I can see it on mine but I'm not running the OEM Airbox

18. Ah Mick loves Meg 250's, its a constant reminder of what his Meg GT is not capable of :tongueout:
    I had mine with him on last Tuesday.

19. Did you get this sorted bud ? mines makes a bit of a clunk changing into 2nd & 3rd .

20. Yes m8 that's all sorted m8,changes lovely now having problems starting the dam thing now though

21. Mint , going to have to get mine fixed ! Was it costly ?

22. Removed mine today, could rock my engine back and forward with one hand, these take a lot of punishment so it's definitely a bad Design idea, might make a torque damper to absorb some of the shock

23. You could rock it one handed with the broken mount on or when you removed it?

24. No with the mount removed, all my mounts are fine, just shows how much energy this mount absorbs

25. Right I'm with you now. Hopefully Vibra Technics will release a full engine mount kit to reduce a lot of movement.

26. I'm pretty sure a torque damper will solve the problem, stiffer mounts on top should also solve this problem but unless tested you never know

27. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Vibratechnics lower dogbone pretty much eliminates all movement. A lot of the Aussie guys run them and say thats all they need as any other stiff mounts would be far to harsh for road use

28. I have that fitted but hasn't really seemed to make it feel any stiffer. I'm wondering if the lower torque and upper stabiliser are the same as they look identical and if so the VT link could be fitted top end as well for even more support.

Martin Weghammar likes this.
  29. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Strange, All the guys down under have noticed a massive improvement in stiffness, gear change and traction with it fitted

30. Maybe it just feels soft to me still as my daily 172 has full set of VT mounts and it's like being inside a washing machine, by comparison anything would feel soft.

31. Just had exactly the same issue with mine....sheared bolt. Symptoms were heavy increased vibration and noise through cabin. Bolt is way under specced and was a clean shear.

32. could u show some pics?

33. Sorry mate but didn't keep the bolt. It sheared about 3/4 inch under head...had to drill rest out.

34. Mines in at Renault tomorrow for a suspected gearbox mount issue, maybe its this rear bolt also. Im getting vibrations when at idle

35. Does sound likd it. Lot of vibration in cabin I found

36. how much on av does this cost to replace?

37. Isn't there an updated part to resolve the issue?

38. Supposedly change the design from the 250 to the 265

39. Or the Vibra Technics mount to change to.

40. Yup, dif part numbers too i posted it up a while back...maybe even in this thread somewhere!