250 Best/Worst case scenario for a whining/whirring noise? at ktec on tues

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by DualMonDon, Sep 29, 2016.

1. I'm a bit worried about this to be honest, I'm at Ktec on Tuesday getting it checked out.
    Whirring noise that becomes noticeable around 15mph, then becomes more like a whine at 35, then gets louder/whirs faster as wheel speed increases. Not related to engine speed as same noise when coasting in neutral.
    I've checked wheel bearings (twice) and they are solid as a rock.
    Speaking to the guy at ktec he's saying from my description it could be a new box required! I've only had the car 5 months (bought from ktec) and the warranty only covers £500 so that would leave me £1200 out of pocket.. Would be gutted if this were to be the case!
    Only done about 2k miles in it, most of which was commuting!
    If it is the diff am I fucked? looking at 4 figures?

2. you can get the box refurbed for 400 ish mate, i'd hope KTec would sort it for you due to miles covered.

3. Hope so mate! You reckon a refurb would sort it if it is the box then? I've seen a thread that has said could be the diff whining?

4. Your lucky, the law changed in October 2015 from the sales of goods act to the consumer rights act.

First six months if you take the vehicle back within six months of purchase, the dealer should accept there was a problem when the vehicle was sold and offer a partial refund or to repair or replace it.

If the dealer doesn't accept there was a problem when the vehicle was sold, they'll have to prove this.

So the onus is on ktec to prove their was no problem otherwise it's their problem.

Google second hand car faulty consumer rights act.

Sent from my HTC Desire EYE using Tapatalk

5. I wouldn't accept any fob off it's ktec s problem, you may have to resort to some legally worded emails etc but it's their problem. How many miles has it done and how much did you pay etc etc?

6. I've heard they aren't the best when it comes to customer service, hope you get it sorted mate.

7. Paid 14k for it, just shy of 25k miles when i bought it, on 27k odd now.
    Hoping it doesn't come to that, but I can't afford to be forking out too much for it so will if it comes to it.
    On the warranty thing I have from them there is a check box that has multiple tick boxes, one of which is "are they any apparent problems with transmittion/clutch" which obviously is ticked as no, does that cover them?

8. Unfortunately had that same noise for the past few months. starts about 15/20 mph and gets faster with speed but doesn't seem to increase pitch like yours. went down the road of replacing one of the front bearings I thought the sound was coming from and made not a jot of difference. My ones sitting at 30k .

9. Mine has always had a faint noise but is now certainly quite bad. Everyone I have asked has said bearings or tyres but it just doesn't sound like those. It's difficult to explain but it's like an electric motor sort of whirring. Same as you?

I'm at Ktec on Tuesday anyway, I'll let you know what they say.

10. exactly how I would describe it an electric motor or even wind noise but still hearing it wind down as your approaching as low as 10mph kind of cuts out wind noise. have had suggestions of ABS pump, alternator, air con . anything connected to the belts.

11. not sure mine is quite as bad as yours as when anyone's been in the car with me and i say can you hear that noise they all go what noise ?

12. I took a video of mine a few days ago. In this video I am rolling down a hill in neutral, speed going from about 20mph to about 35 and then slowing down to about 10 before putting it in gear. Sounds like it's about to take off!
    (car was hovered shortly after this lol)

13. Thanks mate! posted a vid below if you're interested in what it sounds like.

14. Nope doesn't cover them, tbh for the mileage and price you paid. I think they would have a hard time defending themselves if it comes to it.
    If you had bought a car with 100K+ on dirt cheap it would be easier for them to defend.

If worst comes to the worst you may have to put in a money claim online thing it will cost you around a hundred quid but you can claim it back. It's basically taking them to small claims court

15. I highly doubt they will fob you off, given your situation.

I bought my car from them and their customer service has always been great for me.

When I originally bought it, a few weeks later I was getting an issue with a rear brake binding. I gave them a call and spoke to David, he replaced my rear disks and pads and sorted the caliper with no issues.

That noise is clearly gearbox related and they aren't going to quibble with you over it.

Just call up and speak to the Boss man.

16. Yeah I've not had any problems with them as of yet. A few weeks after I bought it I had a problem with a tyre pressure sensor and he sent me a new one down no problems. I'm just worried that this a big job and he won't be as eager to fork out for it, especially with the warranty within a month of expiring.

17. Nice one thanks mate. Hope it doesn't come to that.

18. Don't worry about the warranty nearly expiring, the fact is that it hasn't expired. You've also only done 2000 miles.

I also really cannot see why a gearbox replacement would be necessary when a refurb is much more suitable. A full replacement is what you would expect from Renault with their standard procedures.

Not sure who stupidly advised you that over the phone but they must have psychic powers of fault diagnosis.. haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. When I mentioned I think it might be the gearbox/diff making the whining noise, this is the exact response I received:
    "If the inspection does show the diff/gearbox to be the issue then the total repair cost would be Circa ?1700. With the single claim limit of ?500 it would leave ?1200 to pay for yourself. I will speak to David to see if there is anything he is willing to do to help towards that but I’m not going to hold my breath on that one."

That's the only reason I'm concerned about this whole thing really.

20. Let us know how it goes. I'm sure it's not going to come to that.

A full gearbox replacement is a bit crazy most people would say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Seeing a few comments about ktec not being any good for customer service really surprises me as I've had nothing but great service from them. Have a chat with David he's a very reasonable man and will help you however he can.

22. Yep, be assured I have absolutely nothing against Ktec and they've been brilliant to me so far. This will be the biggest test of them all :smile:

23. Update: They said it was a gearbox bearing and are going to give me a ring when warranty stuff is sorted. Car has done 27k miles so be interesting to see what happens money wise.

24. Be interested to hear the results of this myself, gearbox bearing Eh ! do all cars have gearbox bearings fail at 30k ish as the norm or is it a known thing for Renault ?

25. Nothing extra offered in terms of warranty. They are swapping the gearbox which is a £1600 job, leaving £1000 for me to pay :/ booked in for it 12th November. A couple of questions I forgot to ask at the time were how old is the gearbox going in and double checking its the box with the LSD like the one in there. A bit disappointed really, I guess a lesson to take from this is check the warranties you are given. If buying a car from KTEC, any major problems with the car and you'll still be out of pocket!

26. Personally I'd be going to be see citizens advice, or put in a money claim online application for small claims court. The law is in your favour here.

27. I wouldn't be accepting this mate. read what @jjones82 made a point of at the start of the thread. You have rights my friend

28. What jjones said.

You have been sold a car that has subsequently had an unexpected failure, not due to wear and tear, costing over 10% of the whole value of the car!

And why are they not rebuilding the gearbox instead? Unless it's destroyed other components, surely a rebuild would be more cost effective? If not, I'd be wanting the old box as evidence.

Citizens Advice would be my first port of call. Hope they give you some good advice.

29. I've just found out that the box they are planning on putting in is from a car broken "around the 30k" mark. The gearbox going in will have done more miles than the car has! I'll have a look around on there. Maybe see if I can get hold of David from Ktec, as not dealt with him at all yet.

30. OK, so I've looked on CAB, and it needs to fall into one of these:
    • ‘of satisfactory quality’ - it should do what you’d expect for its age, price and type
    • ‘fit for purpose’ - eg if you asked for a car that would pull a caravan, it has to be able to do that
    • ‘as described’ - it has to match the advert or the description the trader gave you
    So the first one is what I'm going for as I wouldn't expect a gearbox bearing to go at 27k miles. Going to see if I can get hold of David and speak to him about it.

31. Seems like a good starting point! I'm no expert, but I have been in a similar situation. For my mind, you paid probably a little over the market rate, but you did this to get a car with less than average miles. So you in effect paid for a quality product.

You have not got that. A full gearbox rebuild with genuine Renault parts and a full guarantee of the work for many tens of thousands of miles or several years is what I'd be expecting.

32. It was also a little more expensive due to already having a Scorpion exhaust and the RSTuning map. At this point I still haven't even driven the car 4k miles. Over 10% of the miles I've ever done in the car were taking it down to Ktec!.
    Can't say I'm looking forward to this, don't really like having disputes with companies (who does), I don't like being a nightmare customer haha. But I also don't like handing £1000 over if I shouldn't be. Going to ring on my lunch time and ask for David I think, and go from there.

33. Personally if throw it all at them, not of satisfactory quality, as it broke, not fit for purpose as it broke. And not as described as it broke!
    Like I said the onus is on them to prove otherwise. Not you prove that they sold you a dodgy car.
    If they don't budge, I'd say your taking car elsewhere and that you will send them the bill. Then put in a money claim online thing

NathanF likes this.
  34. Yeah I think I will. David moving house today apparently so I'll leave him alone until Monday, then will try and get stuff sorted. Will report back with what he says. I could get my uncle to remove the box for me and get a good transmission place down here to do it, but it would be nice to know they would pay for it. To be honest I'd rather just give it to them and just tell them to ring me when its fixed.

TEV250 likes this.
  35. I had a few issues with K Teq and would not recommend going there.
    Mention my name to Sean and he will just look down and shake his head.
    I had there staff and there mapper andy Telling me lie after lie in my face. Fake print outs too,
    Then they had someone on face book who knows nothing about anything defending there name.
    Google what Charlatans means Last time I did K-Teq Racing Popped up.
    To the people who Bum of them and get great service GREAT.
    To the people who get treated wrong voice your opinion.
    From me going there for a remap.
    After 4-5 months and around £7,000 down and 2 engines 3 turbos and countless mapping sessions.
    K Teq sent me to RS Tunning and covered the Cost.
    Then 2 months after that the engine let go. So Stay away you have been warned.

Hi Sean

36. Hi.
    Try this when stationary and in neutral:
    (1) Rev the engine up and let wind down and then compare noise with same but with (2) clutch pedal depressed.
    This will determine whether this is emanating from the (2) flywheel engine side or (1) Clutch plate, Clutch cover,
    G/B input side .

If this had a retrofitted Single Mass flywheel with OEM clutch it will be making a similar racket (OEM clutch components)
    on the rev up and the overrun and when backed off coasting in gear, and this will be quite evident when tested as above stationary.

37. What happened with this in the end?

RS 175 Cup Lux

38. Yes would be interested to know the outcome

39. I had the same and it was the LSD bearings, just like has been mentioned. New box or refurbishment required :worried:

40. Any change in the way the car drives?