250 Ball Joint

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by James B, Apr 17, 2014.

1. So along with a catalogue of other problems, it looks like my drivers side ball joint has gone.

After a bit of googling, I've found that Aaron's Autos offer the replacement at £175 per side. They are doing this by replacing just the ball joint itself and not the entire hub assembly (which is all Renault can do due to the way the parts come in as an assembly).

Does anyone know which ball joints can be fitted? I'm sure I read somewhere that someone had found them. Ideally I want to do it myself to try and reduce the amount I'm having to spend on this car.

Cheers,

James

2. Does anyone know?

3. Mark Black does it cheaper and is closer to you.

4. Sweet! He does it for the 250 as well? I've always wanted to take the car there!

I'll drop him a PM :smile: Epic drive that way too.

Cheers!

5. I was told one of mine was worn but haven't had it replaced yet. It's on the passenger side but I haven't noticed any difference in the drive so I am going to wait for it to get a bit worse! At least I know its not just me. No idea how the assembly works and what can be replaced so you know as much as I do!

Hope you get it sorted on the cheap mate!

6. What symptoms do you have to suspect that the ball joint has gone? Is it out of warranty?

7. You can buy the balljoints individually on eBay :smile: will be the lower one that's worn?

8. Just type in megane 250 balljoint
    yra8a5ag.jpg

Hope this helps mate.

9. Well I've got all of the symptoms now. It was squeaking the other day when going from lock to lock whilst making a three point turn, it's knocking, and I'm getting pulled all over the road when I'm accelerating. I think this is what it is anyway, but I could be wrong.

And I'm 9 months out of warranty so it's not worth the hassle, especially not after what I've gone through recently with a cambelt fix at a main dealer (which was a 75% contribution).

Ahh I have already found these, but I wanted to be sure they were the correct parts. It would be good to know what the part number is and then get a quote from Ads, but I get the impression that this ball joint is from another car, as you can only buy a new hub assembly from Renault, apparently?

10. Well they definitely look the right part, fire the seller a message and ask for a part number. The hub assembly might just be the way Renault sell them. The balljoint is just a press fit, there's no reason why it wouldn't come separate because Renault themselves would of had to press them into the new hubs.

11. Yeah it does look right, I'll drop them a message and ask them but they've got no reason to give me the part number - I reckon I'll be trying to find it myself. Determined to find it though.

I reckon that because it's an interference pressed-fit, Renault won't replace just the ball joint. From every other case of people going to Renault, they've had the entire hub carrier replaced as Renault don't offer replacement of just the joint and don't seem to supply the ball joint separately (although I need to check this with Ads). I guess it's because the design of the carrier states that the joint can only be fitted once.

I'm happy to have a go at doing it though. I mean Aarons Autos offer it with a 12 month warranty, so they must be confident it won't cause any issues.

I found this image of the Perfohub setup to help me get my head around it after having a look under my car when I was changing my wheels (I took some pictures but they were crap):

96E0C7FA-69E5-46ED-845B-DE8E88E4CE41_zpsid7wtkf8.jpg

Part 1 is the hub carrier and has an upper and lower ball joint. From all of the details I can find on previous issues it was always the lower ball joint that went. So if I can get the part (and if I can get it for even less than that Polish company, then even better) then I should be able to do it myself as the tracking won't need redoing.

Just need to get hold of the part number now ...

12. Maybe worth having a look on French Renault forums using Google translate, maybe the balljoints are available seperate in other countries May be that because it's still a relatively new design that they haven't started mass producing them separate yet. Or lack of testing how fitting just a joint will go etc. Doesn't seem very cost effective if you need to replace the hubs all the time with it being so common.

I don't think you'll have a problem doing it yourself

13. MicKPM

MicKPM RSM Trader RSM Trader

It wasn't designed to be cost effective to you as the end user, it was designed to inflate the bank balance of Renault SAS and sell parts. It is a common issue on all the Megane/Clio RS vehicles though but thankfully the aftermarket has recognised that there's a market for these ball joint units (now) so it isn't a £700 a wheel anymore.

14. Any idea where to get hold of the ball joints ?

Cheers

15. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

eBay.

16. Ok cheers I had a look they are £59.95 or something like that from Poland is that right? Why does Renault have to be so complicated! Are these the ones you bought Jamie?

17. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I have bought both upper and lower as I'm not 100% which one has gone so just planning on doing them both, Mine are due to be fitted at the weekend

18. I had this issue on my clio 200, fixed under warranty and I have a sneaking suspicion that my 265 is now slowly developing an issue with one or both ball joints. I will be bringing it up when it goes for it's first service in a couple of weeks.

19. MicKPM

MicKPM RSM Trader RSM Trader

I'm so glad the GT doesn't have the same setup as the 250/265. I will only have to pay £400 for a wishbone when my bottom BJ dies :rolleyes:

20. Thank god for warranties :smile:

21. Alright sweet thanks for the info I'll get one from there . Mine is a lower one as it was noticed when my mechanic did the pads . Only on one side so I'll stick to that for now. £60 not bad tbh! MOT next month so need to make sure all ok!

22. i had contact with renault sport. they give me the part number for the lower ball joint.
    the old number is 8200438088
    the new number is 7711167656

you can google the number or call your local renault sport dealer.
    they are the same on ebay, but a lot cheaper.

23. I've already done this and sorted it now (will be updated my project thread when I can find some time), but when I contacted Renaultsport they weren't sure.

What are the two part numbers? What's new vs old?

Will be brilliant if we can get Ads supplying us these!

24. Are these definitely 250 part numbers??

25. the new number (7711167656) is definitely a 250 part number. its the replacement balljoint from a megane N4. if you google it, you will find some on russian / polen sites. there you will also find the other part number (8200438088) at the same site.
    if you google that number you will find that it is a part from a renault clio cup race car. at axl racing team the balljoints are € 37,64
    i will order one to find out if it is the right one.

26. Yeah, that first part number must be the one I ordered and fitted. It worked a treat and is the solid N4 spec ball joint. I just need to do the other side so will try and work out a better way of ordering it than from the Polish eBay seller. Currently talking to Ads at Renault about it.

27. How long did the ball joint take to arrive when you ordered it of eBay? Has Ads had any joy sourcing them?

This knocking it doing my heading :worried:

28. Has anyone done this work themselves ? If so how easy is it?

29. After having a look at various threads on different forums, are these the same ball joints on Clio 200s?

Has anyone tried sourcing them from these guys?

R.SPORT LTD.

CONTACT DETAILS

Telephone

0208 542-0042

30. Hi,

New here, have a Megane RS trophy number 04/50 and it needs the dreaded lower ball joint, So been googling away, I diagnosed the fault and got it into my local garage, from what I can tell the lower ball joint can be pressed out the same as it were pressed in, a friend not to long back had the same issue with there Clio and the same garage ended up having to replace the hole hub assembly, I don’t think this needs doing, really could do with some advice to inspire abit of confidence in my local garage, which by the way is a good guy and normally does a stand up job, but these hub carrier/ball joints on Renault sports have him spooked, if any body has any tips, advice or pictures to get this sorted and like I say inspire some confidence I would really appreciate it, I think given the chance and the right press and collars I could probably get it out myself, but any advice or tips welcome.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31. contact: Raptor6767 on here for parts you need